Old Wheelbarrows

AFB

Visit site
How do I get rid of one?

Our local tip is a nightmare, my YO won't allow rag & bone men anywhere near and I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me leaving it in our communal garden for the occasional (less than fortnightly) trip past us.

Any ideas? Otherwise I'm just going to have to suck it up and waste a Saturday morning trying to get it to the tip.

AFB

Visit site
Definitely not one to plant up, think 1 year old stainless steel from B&Q that's just fallen apart, not an ounce of character to it!

I didn't realise you could get the scrap men to come to you though Batgirl - I'll have a look in to that, thanks.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If you can't get any scrap people to come get it, the council take things away for £10 an item here, you just phone them up to book it in and pay, then leave it outside for them to collect.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Use an angle grinder and very large hammer to reduce it into little bits and put in yr domestic rubbish. (Obv using proper protection!).

Or repair it!

GirlFriday

Visit site
Definitely not one to plant up, think 1 year old stainless steel from B&Q that's just fallen apart, not an ounce of character to it!
There is a (quietly beautiful) city church near me with brand new yellow plastic ones planted up... I can see it in a cottage garden (and with different barrows!) but not that!

pansymouse

Visit site
Really? Surely those lorries are designed to cope with small bits of waste of all materials?

They are designed to deal with domestic (household) waste which generally speaking does not include chopped up bits of wheel barrow. Also waste is usually processed into refuse derived fuel rather than landfilled and the machinery that does that could also be damaged. We've had to pull a van engine block out of ours which someone one had managed to wrangle into a wheeled bin - it damaged the plant and stopped processing for several hours. People need to consider the consequences of disposing of waste inappropriately.

GirlFriday

Visit site
That is interesting. As far as I know ours (which I think is used for fuel too) has no restrictions on putting metals in. We don't have separate recycling (small historic buildings, blah) so all the cans etc go in and I'm not sure how you'd even describe to people what is 'OK' metal to go in and what is not.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Put it in your garden, put a couple of drainage holes in the bottom and fill it with some decent soil and plant some pretty plants/flowers. Flowers that attract bees along with a 'bee hotel' nailed onto the fence would be nice as our honey bees are really suffering a decline at the moment.

turnbuckle

Visit site
They are designed to deal with domestic (household) waste which generally speaking does not include chopped up bits of wheel barrow. Also waste is usually processed into refuse derived fuel rather than landfilled and the machinery that does that could also be damaged. We've had to pull a van engine block out of ours which someone one had managed to wrangle into a wheeled bin - it damaged the plant and stopped processing for several hours. People need to consider the consequences of disposing of waste inappropriately.

Surely people chuck, say, old roasting tins in the general waste, which was the sort of size I had in mind...? (Not that it sounded as though OP and an angle grinder would be a match made in heaven).

Engine block does seem a bit extreme. Actually, that WOULD look quite good planted up.

AFB

Visit site
Thanks all - don't think the angle grinder suggestion is for me so no need to worry for the bin lorries of Derbyshire!

I begrudge paying someone to take away a wheelbarrow I already shelled out £40 on for it to last a whole 6 months of mucking out one stable - but I didn't realise you could contact the scrap men and arrange for them to call by so that's really helpful.
Might actually try the suggestion of preloved first of all though - easy option!

AFB

Visit site
Just take it to the council tip like every other law abiding citizen, it's not like you can't it's just you can't be bothered.

Nobody suggested doing anything that wasn't being a law abiding citizen. There's no need to be rude.

I'm fully aware that I'm capable of taking it the tip, however as my local council have made this a total farce I'm looking to make my life easier and not waste a precious Saturday morning I could otherwise be spending with my horse.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Nobody suggested doing anything that wasn't being a law abiding citizen. There's no need to be rude.

I'm fully aware that I'm capable of taking it the tip, however as my local council have made this a total farce I'm looking to make my life easier and not waste a precious Saturday morning I could otherwise be spending with my horse.

It's not rude it's direct.

It's actually Illegal to give your waste to an unauthorised person even as a householder. Although no one is going to care if you give it to someone who makes it into a plant holder.

If you give it to a 'scrappy' make sure they're permitted or registered exempt and if they collect it make sure they're registered as a waste carrier - upper tier.

If you are in England - I can't tell on iPad. Check this -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/access-the-public-register-for-environmental-information

It's also illegal for scrap dealers to pay cash due to the crack down on metal theft.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20568327

pansymouse

Visit site
And yet people do it all of the time on pre-loved or freecycle

That's OK because it's not classified as waste . The law specifically applies to waste and puts responsibility on the waste producer to ensure that anyone they pay to dispose of their waste is licenced to transport waste and disposes of it in a legal manner. It is not legal to pay someone to take your waste to the local council recycling centre (tip) - both you and they can be fined up to £5,000.