Old wives tale?

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
So bit of a funny one, my boss (who comes out with some very odd old fashioned stuff) is looking for a new saddle for her pony and I had one I was selling so I asked "Does it matter what colour?" she replied "Well he's bay" I confess I stared blankly so she rolled her eyes and said "He has black points so he must have black tack, it's the rule"

Has anyone else ever heard of this rule? I have looked up showing rulebooks, googled it and I can find nothing. I personally think bays look nice in either but out of simple curiosity wondered if anyone else had heard this.

Or any other funny rules that make no sense you've heard in the horse world welcome!

be positive

Visit site
My rule is every horse should have brown tack if possible, never heard of anything having to wear black as that is a fairly new trend anyone "old" will remember when tack came in brown and nothing else.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Never heard that one. Traditionally showing is brown leather, I thought. Years ago it was not possible to get anything other than brown, and we spent a lot of time trying to get rid of the newness and tone down the light tan it started with.

Dressage people go in for black more.

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
It might be her rule, that all her black point ponies must have black tack.

Yeah...like I said, she comes out with some odd stuff. I love her to pieces but she is VERY old fashioned, most of her tack is about 30 yrs old so I was surprised she was actually entertaining the idea of a new saddle.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I bought my first Dun horse black tack in 1981. It was a Falcon Hawk Event saddle, cost £250 brand new and I was about the only person with black tack that I knew of. Brown just didn't suit him. The Dun pony I have now came with a black saddle but DP who is brown wears brown everything even down to the numnah.

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
I have never heard of that rule! I have Havana Brown tack and love it and looks great on my boy. I guess at the end of the day its personal choice and what looks good on the horse.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
I've never heard that rule, that's got to be a personal rule! She wouldn't like me then I have a bay and have light oil tack (western) and I think it looks fabulous against a bay coat, I think black would get lost on a dark horse but then I've always been a "brown" fan.

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
If she were truly 'old-fashioned', she would know that black tack is for driving ponies!

Hmmm maybe I will point that out. My other favourite one is how precious she is about his tail because it has to be kept full and thick to balance out his large bottom. Personally I'm not sure that works either, there's no hiding his apple bottom!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm very old fashioned too then ..... All my tack is brown, (and fits) and unless doing an xc event no colours worn at all.
Everything workmanlike and blending in nicely (imho) as I cannot even abide these squares etc and prefer anything under the saddle to not stick out more than half an inch or so all round .... ;)

OP, load of rubbish :D