Old wives tales...

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
You know how some people say that if a horse's mane lies on the rightit is a balanced horse, if it's on the left it's unbalanced and if it can't make up it's mind the horse is definately unbalanced!

I'm sure this is a load of rubbish but was wondering, if a horse's mane lies on the right does this make it right sided (or left?) and for left vice versa, and if the mane lies abit on either side/up in the air does this mean the horse is more equally sided? Is a scruffy mane really a sign of poor balance? Or is it all just down to how clever the groom is at pulling/laying the mane!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Perhaps with hairy horses, the weight of the mane hanging to one side could drag them to the ground?!
S
smile.gif

only_me

Visit site
i dont believe that old wives tale! lol though i do believe that watever side it lies on then it is that sided!

also i try to train the mane on to one side by plaiting it!
smile.gif

kevH

www.equinedentist4u.co.uk
What makes a horse better on one side or the other is down to which side it was laying on in the womb. The side the foal is not lying on is able to move and the muscle develops more and the foal is used to this side moving, so when the foal is born it is better on one side than the other.

clipertyplop

Visit site
sorry .....but pmsl, thats a new one, what about if its hogged, if its unbalanced, train its mane over to the other side
wink.gif

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I defo have a problem then !!!! my boy is confised. he has rubbud off the bottom haly, majority lies to the right, but then last 12 inches is to the left !!!!! can never get to oneside without the use of gel and no wind in the sir !!!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
Dunno about manes, but I remember someone telling me that when a horse is rolling [like out in the field, or in a sand pit type thing] you count how many times it rolls over completely [waving it's legs in the air] and multiply the number by 100 [this was 20 odd years ago!] and that told you how much your horse was worth...

(Her horse was "worth" £1,200)