Older Border Collie leg lump - what would you do?

Scot123

Visit site
Hello. Looking to see if anyone had advice/thoughts on what they'd do please... my collie is almost 15 and in pretty good shape all things considered! He has arthritis in his back legs and borderline kidney trouble but is quite fit and active. He has had a lump on a front ankle joint for a few years which the vets weren't worried about - just a fatty lump. However it has recently got larger and is now starting to interfere with the movement in that leg (and he is starting to lick at it) considering he has arthritis in his back legs I don't want it to be any harder for him to move than it has to be. The decision is now ours as to whether to have it removed. We have been told there's not much extra skin around the lump so healing could be a problem, with several weeks of frequent bandage changing, less exercise etc. But if we wait and it continues to grow then it will be even harder to remove, and of course he will be older too. I am torn as to what would be best for him! I would be grateful for opinions from those with no emotional attachment please!

meleeka

Visit site
If he’s still active and you’ve no reason to think his time is going to be up soon I’d probably have it removed. It sounds like it’ll be the end of him anyway if it continues to grow. My uncles dog went this way. He could have had a couple more years If he’d had it removed as soon as it started growing but like you he didn’t want to put the dog through it. The dogs movement was affectived which made his arthritis worse so the decision was made.

It’s your dog though and only you know if the op and recovery is worth it or if it’s just prolonging the inevitable.

Scot123

Visit site
Thank you. Your uncle's story sounds very similar - I don't want to put him through something that's not necessary, but if I don't and it continues to grow and further impede his movement then he'll be scuppered. But a few weeks rest after the op is going to really do his arthritis no favours either, and I don't know if he'll easily pull back from that. It's not easy is it?!

SadKen

Visit site
I'd also have it removed if he's otherwise OK.

I'd possibly also have an appointment with a vet physio and see if they can make suggestions on limiting the impact to the arthritis while he's resting.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if he was mine and only had the lump ,i would operate but as he is an old boy and has other issues i would PTS. i lost my lurcher in 2016 due to arthritis in her hips, the medication did not seem to work and it also upset her sensitive stomach, she was almost 13 and i decided to PTS as her quality of life wasnt good, i have never regretted my decision but miss her everyday. this is only my opinion using my own experience with my dog, you know if your dog is happy and would be able to take the necessary after care and only you can decide...so sorry, its never easy when they are older and have health issues

Scot123

Visit site
Thanks all for your thoughts, it's good to hear other opinions that aren't biased by emotion! PTS is not an option at the moment as although he has arthritis and has some bad days, the rest of the time he's going great - still enjoying a couple of walks a day, playing with his toys, mooching around the garden and eating like a trooper I'm glad to say. If he had other health issues that were really bad then it would in many ways make the decision easier - I wouldn't put him through an op if I didn't think he'd have a good long while with us still enjoying life! But there's still that niggle as you can imagine of what if I put him through the op and 1) he doesn't come through it or 2) he needs so much rest that his hind legs seize up altogether (the physio idea is a good one, thanks, I hadn't thought of that and it's not something our vet suggested so I'll look into it)...

Nicnac

Visit site
I would get a second opinion too. I respect my vet but recently had an issue where I thought her treatment advice was draconian. To be fair to her, she hadn't treated this particular issue before and was being overly cautious by removing a lump, surrounding tissue and teeth which would have impacted on dog's quality of life. I went to an expert and came away with a far better solution via a much less invasive procedure.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our oldest lab (10) has a small lump on the front if her fetlock that she licks sometimes and it gets sore. The vet said it was pretty well on an inoperable location as there was no excess skin to sew back up so to just leave it. I must say it doesn't impact on her walking and we use bitter apple spray (vets recommendation) around it to stop the licking and the sore has healed up.

Scot123

Visit site
Hi Clodagh. Sounds very similar as that's what our vet is saying about the lack of excess skin. Unfortunately this one has got to the stage where walking is starting to be impacted. I rather wish we'd just had it off a couple of years ago when it first came up, but we were also recommended to leave it. I guess it's just luck (or 'unluck') whether it continues to get bigger or not...

Clodagh

Visit site
Hi Clodagh. Sounds very similar as that's what our vet is saying about the lack of excess skin. Unfortunately this one has got to the stage where walking is starting to be impacted. I rather wish we'd just had it off a couple of years ago when it first came up, but we were also recommended to leave it. I guess it's just luck (or 'unluck') whether it continues to get bigger or not...

It does sound more urgent than ours, could they not put on a skin graft?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But a few weeks rest after the op is going to really do his arthritis no favours either, and I don't know if he'll easily pull back from that. It's not easy is it?!

But there's rest, and there's rest....

Presumably the dog would not be confined to a cage and could do some gentle pottering about??

I walk a 14 year old BC who's still full of life, albeit a little creaky in her joints too. If she were in a similar situation it would be criminal to put her down. So in your shoes I'd absolutely have the surgery done.

meleeka

Visit site
When it was mine going under GA I thought If she died on the table it’s not a bad way to go and at least I wouldn’t have to decide, it would have just been meant to be. It’s still horrible though not knowing what to do. X

Scot123

Visit site
Yes I suppose you're right, I don't think it's as severe as cage rest - though if the wound is open for some time due to lack of skin to close it up, it may be very restricted movement for a couple of weeks. Thank you for your opinions, it's so helpful to have other views on the matter. I think we're basically decided now that we'll go ahead. I will definitely look into the physio option, and perhaps canine massage. He's such a cussed old grump that I reckon he'll do OK!

deb_l222

Visit site
If the lump is starting to impede movement, I would operate. Yes, there's the complication of lack of muscle on the feet and joints but it will heal up if you're careful and don't rush things.

My previous black and white bonkers dog had a toe removed at 13 years old and it healed up completely in about 4 weeks, despite the fact I managed to open it up again by treading on her foot!! She had a bandage on after that incident :rolleyes:

Scot123

Visit site
Just a wee update... thank you everyone. Very upsettingly it turns out not to have been a fatty lump after all, but a tumour :(. Anyhoo, our lovely vet has operated to remove as much as possible and done a great job, but it's early days and our poor boy is understandably feeling VERY miserable (but still eating like a ravenous horse which is a good sign!).