Older horse and looking for the gem to let me continue.

welshcobabe

Visit site
Hello I am in a the position now as my horse of 21 years is starting to feel his age so only now doing very short hacks out. I am of a certain age and feeling it myself, however I am not ready to give up my longer rides out but his well fair comes first he will be kept in the manner to which he is used to till the end of his days.

I have the time and finance and space for another but I want something smaller and easy going and a cob. I have found that this is near on impossible to find.

I have always bred and had my horses from the start of their lives to the end. But I am 60 now and don't want to start from scratch, to say that looking for this gem, has been an eye opener is an understatement people are just strange or maybe its me.

For some of you more seasoned peeps out there could you point me in the right direction for example :

What sites do you use ?
Is it more word of mouth ?
Is there such a thing as a reputable dealer ? sure they are out there but where ?

Thanks in advance.

Bluewaves

Visit site
I bought my cob two years ago. It was word of mouth through my vet who knew someone who needed to sell.

My main criterion was soundness and the vet recommended my boy as suitable for for what i wanted to do with him - pretty similar to you.

Before i got him, i looked on facebook and DoneDeal but didn't find anything suitable at that time in my price range.

Someone i know has recently bought a similar type of cob through DoneDeal though and he is lovely.

And i follow this guy on facebook and he always seems to have lovely animals and satisfied customers.

High Meadows Farm | Facebook

Last edited:

mini_b

Visit site
[QUOTE="welshcobabe, post:

What sites do you use ?
Is it more word of mouth ?
Is there such a thing as a reputable dealer ? sure they are out there but where ?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Where do you live roughly? Folk could maybe recommend someone?

9tails

Visit site
You will need a big budget at the moment for anything vaguely reliable and especially sound.

Maryann

Visit site
I spent a lot of time looking at adverts (mainly Horse Quest) and reading the words very carefully and then ended up buying the first one I actually went to see. I had kind of already fallen in love but thought he might be too much horse for me. There was a lot of over-thinking involved but most of it took place in my head.

canteron

Visit site
I would go to you largest local good riding school and offer silly money for a been there done it cob.
You will have to pay well over the odds .... ie an offer they can’t refuse .... but better far too much for the right horse than the alternative??!
And the beauty is you can possibly keep it there for a month or so while you get to know it!!

w1bbler

Visit site
Honest dealers do exist.
I bought a fabulous cob from cattybrook horses, 4 years on he has never put a foot wrong & is exactly as described.
Also heard good things about trinas cobs in Hampshire.
The market is crazy at the moment though, if you can wait a bit there may be less demand as people start being able to go on holiday etc

welshcobabe

Visit site
Hi Thanks for the tips so far I am in Cheshire and like you said I think a month or so waiting may make a big difference thanks