older horse stiffness problems

racebuddy

Visit site
my 19 year old nearly 20 is so sore and stiff in the mornings , worse in front but is behind also . once walked off hes much better , he has 8/10 hour tunrout , fleece wraps on for bed and joint support .

he is due for his booster so will discuss with vet also , very well in himself othwise

i am thiking of trying the magnetic boots also for bed at night ,

just suddenly crepped up on him

anybody else have problems with there older horses and mamangament

thanks

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine is a little stiff behind at the moment which i think is the weather changing or he's tweaked himself on the hard ground, rolling! (early days, no vet yet!) and i am not looking forward to stabling this winter. I plan to stable from January, Feb and March only hopefully.

Any chance yours can be out 24/7? It really does seem the better option.

Widgeon

Visit site
Any chance yours can be out 24/7? It really does seem the better option.

Yes I was going to say the same, or even in a pen of some sort where he can still move around? It does sound like the standing still overnight is the problem. Sorry he's struggling, I hope you can sort out a plan that works for you both.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had one horse who responded extremely well -and very quickly - to magnetic boots but have known others who didn't. Magnetscertainly won't do any harm, so would be worth a try.
I would speak to your vet about giving regular bute. We have had horses on long-term bute to no detriment and a definite benefit in regard to stiffness. Occasionally they need a short break fromit as it can make them tired. I would also explore the possibility of 24/7 turnout, so that he doesn't have to stand in all night getting stiff.

paddi22

Visit site
turnout as much as possible. something like devils claw might help as well. I never found magnetic stuff made any difference to my older, but I did see an improvement with the back on track stuff. had the stable rug and hock boots for one and he def walked out smoother. but I don't stable my oldies now, or if I have to I have a small gravel turnout pen for them that they can go in and out of. an older horse will always stiffen up if stabled.

dorsetladette

Visit site
We're currently on day 4 of a bute trial with our 18/19 year old cob. I noticed him a little short behind so spoke tot he vet when she came to do jabs last week. She said he was only 1/10 lame but I felt he was uncomfortable. He seems so much happier in himself. I think we'll be putting him on a joint supplement and maybe devil claw or similar.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Firstly I’d get a thorough vet check to ensure it really is arthritic changes causing an issue. I’d definitely be checking for laminitis and a Cushings test to rule those out.

There are injectable veterinary products that can really help if it is widespread arthritis so discuss those with your vet. Then as to supplements there are various that have some effect which is usually down to trial and error. I’ve used Buteless and I think micronIsed linseed really makes a difference to my 26yr old who did a lively 10 mile hack yesterday.

Wizpop

Visit site
If it’s arthritic changes/ stiffness, then I’d recommend looking at Bosmerix which you can get through your vet. It’s Boswellia and other ‘herbal’ additives and my vet described it as “ the alternative to no Bute which didn’t work”. It’s kind on the gut and has certainly made a difference to my 22 year old. Worth considering.

racebuddy

Visit site
hi thanks all , he is already booked in with vets for check over and booster sadly danilon is very risky for him as he has had serious intestinal problems in the past ie bleeding in his abdomen so danion not really a option as this can make him very ill to the point were we could loose him , thanks for everyones help . once hes walked off you wouldnt think there was anything wrong but got vets due so will also discuss with them also

paddi22

Visit site
it's the standing in is the issue. if you sit an old person in a chair for 10 hours, they would be locked stiff. I made the call with my stiff one that he would always been on 24/7 turnout/ come rain or shine. and even in snow/heavy rain/cold he is WAY better once his is out full time with correct rugs and forage. at the age they need to be able to keep moving.

SEL

Visit site
hi thanks all , he is already booked in with vets for check over and booster sadly danilon is very risky for him as he has had serious intestinal problems in the past ie bleeding in his abdomen so danion not really a option as this can make him very ill to the point were we could loose him , thanks for everyones help . once hes walked off you wouldnt think there was anything wrong but got vets due so will also discuss with them also

Worth speaking to your vet about off licence paracetamol or previcox, although I did like the trial of bosmerix that I did.

Both paracetamol and previcox are supposed to be more gentle on their guts

flying_high

Visit site
Worth speaking to your vet about off licence paracetamol or previcox, although I did like the trial of bosmerix that I did.

I thought you needed a huge amount of paracetamol to be effective?

racebuddy

Visit site
Thank you I will definitely ask xx he’s like a different horse at night than first thing in the morning xx why do they have to get old ??❤️❤️

Nudibranch

Visit site
Some vets use stabling as a diagnostic tool when they suspect arthritis in horses with turnout. Well rugged (if necessary) and out all the time makes a world of difference.