Older horse very tense at competitions

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Not sure if I'm alone here, but I have an older pony (22 approx) who until 2012 did nothing other than hacking. Since then we've been out to quite a few competitions over the years, a bit of everything before settling on dressage. The problem I have is I don't have any transport, so our outings are sporadic. Last year we were doing BD and at one point went twice a month (with a 3 mile hack each way). She is always tense at competitions, very nosy and I find it difficult to keep her attention. She gradually improved last year but it still wasn't great. To be fair she struggles a bit at home, but is much better than she used to be. At the weekend we went to a new venue to do an unaff, we've not been out since September last year. It was a 4 mile hack there and her eyes were on stalks when we got there. I don't feel nervous about competitions any more, and think that I'm a pretty chilled person. Once I got into the warm up, and later went in for the test, she just kind of tensed the underside of her neck and fixed it, and I just can't move it.

I'm not sure if anyone else has problems like this, I guess I must be unusual in that I have an older mare who has basically zero experience of competitions before the age of 18, so I wonder if this is just the way things are going to be? She's fit as a fiddle and I'm so happy continuing her work but I just feel like she must be set in her ways now I won't be able to change her. She's also a handful on the ground, yet at home she's an angel. Any thoughts?

nikkimariet

Visit site
Age has nothing to do with competition experience, they still need introducing and desensitising in the same way. The atmosphere is a lot for many to take in.

Arena hires? Clinics? Lessons away from home?

If she's tense at home you really need to be pushing her comfort zone there first.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thanks Nic, i think i make excuses for her, oh she's too old to change etc. And because she's older she knows all the tricks. Like i said she can be easily distracted at home so will definitely work hard on this, can do arena hire away from home too.

How did you manage with Goofy when you first took him out? Or is he quite a chilled chap anyway?

nikkimariet

Visit site
Exactly the same way we introduced Fig.

Arena hires, clinics, lessons away from home. As much group riding away from home as we could fit in.

Hand walk when get there. Allow lots of times. And gradually push the comfort zone.