Older inexperienced pony as 1st project?

MissyMew

Visit site
Hi,

New member, but have lurked for a while!

Interested in your opinions/experiances on taking on a green older pony that has not done a lot, ever. He's 9 yrs, 13.2 NF x cob. Been ridden in the past (very lightly) and my friend has restarted him recently.
Will being 9 make it harder to train him? I have not had a young horse since my teens, a long time ago! My two gee gees are both 13, daughters lead rein pony and my ISH.
Ideally would love to train a young 13.2 for my daughter to ride in a couple of years. Would I be better looking for a younger model?

Thanks.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It really does depend on the horse. I bought an ex-broodie back into work at age eight. She had been backed and ridden away at four, then went to stud. She hadn't forgotten anything and was so willing and easy. I do strongly suspect however that whoever backed her originally did a wonderful job, plus she enjoyed working. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Why has he not done a lot. With a mare that's had a foal or to its understandable but what's he been doing?

I bought a green 7yr old mare to bring on for my daughter. She is basically like a 4 yr old experience wise but less silliness in her I think. She had a foal and was destined to be a broodmare but her owner became ill so she was broken for sale. She is a cracker of a pony and would have been wasted as just a brood mare. It did however make her within my budget being a little older and very green ;)

The mad TB

Visit site
I really enjoyed working with mine, she was 11 and had been broken to drive. I found her being older meant that she never threw a baby tantrum and although at first she was unfit, she could cope with a lot of work at once and learnt quickly. In 1 year she went from refusing to go off your leg and not knowing what a pole was to jumping 1.10 (13h dartmoor) and loving life!

MissyMew

Visit site
Basically from what I have been told no rider.

My friend has seen pics of him been shown locally as a 5 year old (ridden). His current owner has done nothing with him for over 3 yrs. My friend moved her pony to the owners yard and started to to a bit with him. She rates him, but very green.

Planning on seeing him at the weekend, I am naturally very cautious took me over a year to find my horse.

MissyMew

Visit site
FW, that's a great idea. Why did I not think of that

My thinking was if it all went horribly wrong he could at least be a companion to the other two, allowing me to take one out for training/PC/RC. Not leaving one alone, which they (understandably) currently don't like.

millikins

Visit site
Our 1st pony was rising 8, had been lightly backed at 4ish but used as a broodmare. As others have said, I don't think it affected her attitude or ability, any problems were down to our greenness, not hers.