Older ponies SHOULD be sensible, yeah right!

Chex

Visit site
Why can't I have a sensible older horse! With his arthritis, Chex has been feeling a bit rubbish, but now he's on danilon he's clearly feeling much better! I can't ride until feb (broken leg) so have been long-reinging to keep him active. But he's being such a pain! I only got round one side of the field before he started kicking up his heels. I decided I would just lead him, I like my head attached to my body. But no, we had squealing, bucking, galloping round me and generally dragging me across the field. He's 24, and I'm pretty sure he should know better! My leg still isn't 100% and was really sore by the time he's dragged me back across the field, I was very close to just letting him go, but that wouldn't help! He stays out24/7 and is fed a handful of chaff, and is a cob! If he doesn't chill I'm not going to be able to take him out anymore! Any tips on getting him to chill a bit? I can't lunge (it becomes a mixture of galloping, bucking and rolling!). He needs to get a bit of exercise everyday, but I also can't risk wrecking my leg!
confused.gif

I mean its brilliant thats he's feeling good, but he's acting like a 4 year old.
crazy.gif

Nailed

Visit site
advertise for some help?
I know its not ideal but you may form some friendships, lay down the rules, get help around the yard and ask for help with his feet.
Draw up a contract for the period until febuary with a re-vamp in febuary.
You may just find wha your looking for.
lou x

Chex

Visit site
I did think about this, and thought I had someone interested in riding him, but it never came to anything. I'm very controlling when it comes to him though, not sure how many people would out up with me! I have one horsey friend, think I'll see if I can persuade her she really does want to exercise Chex. Thanks