Older Shih Tzu - food to gain weight?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We have a fourteen year old Shih Tzu who is losing weight, although remains bright eyed and bushy tailed. The vet doesn't have any suggestions as he's otherwise fit and well.

He's not that bothered about food and doesn't have all his teeth. We'll often hand feed him tidbits of anything that he shows an interest in, but it would be good to find a food he'll eat daily.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Anything with lamb and duck is good for weight gain. I don't feed wet/tins as a rule but if travelling I've found the Naturo trays quite good? Or some of the higher end/better quality chubb rolls might suit.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My virtually toothless rescue Shih has really blossomed on a daily dinner of a third of a tray of Nature diet meat with a couple of handfuls of J.Wellbeloved small dog adult duck and rice over the top :)
Hope you find something to suit x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you TFF, will try those as well :) Good to read that your dog is doing well :)

Mine is nowhere as old as yours is tho, but gradually her body weight went from just under 5kg in January last year, to a healthy 7kg by June 16 and she's maintained that since :)
As long as your vet has ruled out anything that might be causing an issue with weightloss tho x

{97702}

Visit site
My old greyhound - who I recently lost at very nearly 14 - was a nightmare to keep weight on throughout her life - I found a raw diet kept the weight on her best, tripe and lamb particularly? I know it isn't for everyone, I am not trying to be evangelical, but it really did work

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mine is nowhere as old as yours is tho, but gradually her body weight went from just under 5kg in January last year, to a healthy 7kg by June 16 and she's maintained that since :)
As long as your vet has ruled out anything that might be causing an issue with weightloss tho x

Ooh, sounds promising. He was a rescue, about twelve or so years ago. He'd not had the best of starts but been okay for years. Vet is the one he's seen all the way along and she commented on his weight loss when he went for claw clipping and for a check on why losing weight. She says he 'might have something going on', but unless we're going to do intrusive work then we won't know for sure. I don't think that given his age he's really up for much poking about. He's happy and bright in himself. We're at the vet tomorrow with one of the other dogs so I'll raise the issue again, see what they'd really do if given totally free rein.

{97702}

Visit site
Ooh, sounds promising. He was a rescue, about twelve or so years ago. He'd not had the best of starts but been okay for years. Vet is the one he's seen all the way along and she commented on his weight loss when he went for claw clipping and for a check on why losing weight. She says he 'might have something going on', but unless we're going to do intrusive work then we won't know for sure. I don't think that given his age he's really up for much poking about. He's happy and bright in himself. We're at the vet tomorrow with one of the other dogs so I'll raise the issue again, see what they'd really do if given totally free rein.

I would ask for a full range of blood tests - it may not find the problem but it would be helpful without being too intrusive? I agree with your vet entirely, when Islay reached that age I told my vet emphatically that I would not consider anything invasive for her given her age and if I felt things could not be resolved I would make the PTS decision for her.... it was the right choice

SpringArising

Visit site
Mine was a rescue and came to me in very poor condition. I've had him for four months and he's put on 3kgs exactly!

He gets a lot of different things but I drizzle olive oil on his biscuits, he gets a lot of raw egg and scrambled egg, some whole milk and bran flakes/porridge a few times a week and lots of fish etc. He's looking a lot better and has a beautiful shine to his coat.

Before at 17kgs:

0HKWTXK.jpg

Now at 20:

sXK4nW8.jpg

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
L I like the raw diet and used to have them all on it, but he lost interest especially in the bits I thought he'd find most interesting. Will try again. Aye re. bloods, I don't think he (the dog) would object too strongly although he's not too keen on being handled. It would be worth it as there might be something they can offer that he'd be okay with.

CC Tesco's is it then! :D

SA that is one seriously gorgeous dog! I'll try those as well. For some reason I haven't tried him with milk. He won't have porridge or eggs or just about many other things, but thinking about it he will have gravy (D makes a damn decent gravy!) so I'll have him knock a batch up :)

{97702}

Visit site
Mine was a rescue and came to me in very poor condition. I've had him for four months and he's put on 3kgs exactly!

He gets a lot of different things but I drizzle olive oil on his biscuits, he gets a lot of raw egg and scrambled egg, some whole milk and bran flakes/porridge a few times a week and lots of fish etc. He's looking a lot better and has a beautiful shine to his coat.

Before at 17kgs:

0HKWTXK.jpg

Now at 20:

sXK4nW8.jpg

What a smashing dog SA, lovely shiny coat in the second pic :)

SpringArising

Visit site
SA that is one seriously gorgeous dog! I'll try those as well. For some reason I haven't tried him with milk. He won't have porridge or eggs or just about many other things, but thinking about it he will have gravy (D makes a damn decent gravy!) so I'll have him knock a batch up :)

Lévrier;13577580 said:
What a smashing dog SA, lovely shiny coat in the second pic :)

Thank you both. He's a loveable little rascal!

Tinned Sardines - healthy fats, irresistible smell (if you're a dog!) and soft

And yes definitely to this. They absolutely love them and they're cheap!