Oliver Townend Fence 4 (Shallow Springs)

oldie48

Visit site
Extremely late to this thread as I've been on holiday but I did watch the BBC highlights programme, I haven't read all the posts either, sorry! Eventing at any level is dangerous for both horse and rider but tbh I worry more about the rider than the horse. I am totally prepared for all the "but the rider chooses to do it, the horse doesn't" arguments but for the time being, we can euthanise a badly injured horse but not a seriously injured rider. To ride round a course like Badminton requires a lot of courage and a lot of adrenaline, not always the best combination for considered decisions, however, IMO most riders at this level make better decisions than many at the lower levels. We are humans not machines! I watched a young girl smack a horse that refused and I didn't feel comfortable with that but I've seen parents deal far more harshly with a child when they have been cross and had their patience stretched. Go to Tesco's any busy weekend and tell me I am wrong! When my daughter was eventing (albeit at a much lower level) all I wanted was for her to come home safe on a sound horse. A horse that is questioning whether to jump or not is not safe. It it requires a tap to wake it up or a tap after a jump to tell it to get in front of the leg, then as far as I am concerned the rider has to do that to keep the horse and the rider safe. Any rider at Badminton will feel immediately if their horse is not sound (unlike many leisure riders) OT was absolutely correct in keeping going on SS and his result demonstrates that.

Michen

Visit site
Here is a good article on thoughts on Badminton. In the article they say the discussion around eliminating him was whether it was a horse fall or not and nothing to do with whether he cleared then fence (which they say he did)

https://eventingnation.com/reporters-notebook-with-badminton-in-the-rearview-what-can-we-learn/

I read this and am so pathetic that I started crying again with the memory of Maxine’s groom kissing that horse on the forehead multiple times as she lead it away. It will haunt me forever tbh. Some may see it as a “don’t we love our horses so much in this sport” and I see it as just a total failure that it got to that point with the horse.

teapot

Visit site
Did anyone watch the live stream from Pratoni? That caused some problems, and sadly Ingrid Klimke pulled Bobby up not looking great at all :(

Cloball

Visit site
Just musing never having evented in my life but the horses that reach 5*level are so brave and bold and a trained to lock on to a fence and go that they are lacking a bit of self preservation maybe? With strong riding and a bold horse is there ’more ' likely to be a fall than at lower levels when a horse might just stop?

TheMule

Visit site
Did anyone watch the live stream from Pratoni? That caused some problems, and sadly Ingrid Klimke pulled Bobby up not looking great at all :(

Really sad for Ingrid and Bobby, I hope it's something that will be ok and maybe he can just be retired. Gutted for her- he looked so for of running up and happy to that point.

teapot

Visit site
Really sad for Ingrid and Bobby, I hope it's something that will be ok and maybe he can just be retired. Gutted for her- he looked so for of running up and happy to that point.

Tendon injury :( I hope he can have a lovely retirement with her.