Oliver Townend

Supertrooper

Visit site
First of all I'd like to say that I feel his test on Armada today was better than William Fox Pitt's and therefore he should have stayed in 2nd place.

However what do others think of him hyping up the crowd on the way out of arena. He was genuinely delighted with Armada, patting him a lot which was really nice to see but just before he left the arena he was encouraging the crowd to cheer.

Some seem to think he was doing it to upset horses coming after him?

avthechav

Visit site
I saw this, I want to think that he was just hyped up having completed the combinations best test ever- surely no one would actually try to put off the next competitor? What would be the point when it never turns into a dressage comp anyway? ....maybe a little thoughtless but I want to believe that not premeditated, OT has gone up in my estimation a lot over the last few years :)

Last edited:

Supertrooper

Visit site
I read this, I want to think that he was just hyped up having completed the combinations best test ever- surely no one would actually try to put off the next competitor? What would be the point when it never turns into a dressage comp anyway? ....maybe a thoughtless but I want to believe that not premeditated, OT has gone up in my estimation a lot over the last few years :)

My gut instinct is the same, Tim Price was straight after him and I don't know with this horse how much in the running he was so therefore why Oliver if he was doing it maliciously would have done it for that reason.

I also think he was just generally delighted and just caught the mood of the crowd, who where very pleased, it was a beautiful test.

He has also gone up in my estimation in the last year or two, I think he's a little more constrained than he used to be xx

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
From what I saw I don't think he did it to put off the next competitor at all - he genuinely seemed really really pleased with his test (as he should have been) and wanted to celebrate!

VRIN

Visit site
Engaging with the audience is the topic of conversation for the future of equestrianism and eventing.

hcm88

Visit site
I saw this, I want to think that he was just hyped up having completed the combinations best test ever- surely no one would actually try to put off the next competitor? What would be the point when it never turns into a dressage comp anyway? ....maybe a little thoughtless but I want to believe that not premeditated, OT has gone up in my estimation a lot over the last few years :)

AN did it to WFP at Badminton show jumping a couple of years ago, so yep people do it! But in response to the topic, I don't think that would be OT's reason here, I can imagine its quite nice just to have the crowd cheering you after you've done a good test and its nice to make the most of the moment.

lannerch

Visit site
OT always hypes up the crowd when his horse has done well.

People also like to criticise OT he's a marmite kind of character

Penumbra

Visit site
I think, for whatever reason, some people seem to like to criticise Oliver Townend.

In this situation, he had nothing to gain by putting off the next horses and riders, and it seems like he was just enjoying the moment.

Goldenstar

Visit site
He rode absolutely beautifully on the XC today , the horse just suits him perfectly .
It was a joy to watch.

vallin

Visit site
He rode absolutely beautifully on the XC today , the horse just suits him perfectly .
It was a joy to watch.

It was indeed! Agree that I've not always been the biggest fan but he has really upped his game and grown up the last couple of years and his horses seem to be responding to it!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I'll be honest I'm not a fan. Never been keen, but when H&H did an article on him before WEG what he said I felt came across as quite rude generally and about other riders (eg implying he was the only one who had had to work hard for his success ) and thats done it for me.

I didn't see it, but have heard several comments from people implying that this was "gamesmmanship". Furthermore, sure enjoy the moment but hes not new to the sport and knows how some horses react to the crowd...

Perhaps he did get carried away/swept up in the moment etc. but who knows....

ETA- lovely round xc though

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
I'll be honest I'm not a fan. Never been keen, but when H&H did an article on him before WEG what he said I felt came across as quite rude generally and about other riders (eg implying he was the only one who had had to work hard for his success ) and thats done it for me.

I didn't see it, but have heard several comments from people implying that this was "gamesmmanship". Furthermore, sure enjoy the moment but hes not new to the sport and knows how some horses react to the crowd...

Perhaps he did get carried away/swept up in the moment etc. but who knows....

ETA- lovely round xc though

You show very little understanding of what it takes to get where he has ! He may come across as brash and arrogant but so are all of them to some degree you do not get to the top without treading on toes.
I had a horse with Olly and to be totally frank his honesty was a refreshing change from some I had dealings with ,he comes from yorkshire and calls a spade a spade and some people dont like it ! Nobody at that level is squeaky clean and employ a lot more underhand tactics than what you are suggesting.
I am afraid he has had to fight an establishment that does not always treat everybody as equals and without mentioning names are not always brought to the fore based on merit and horsemanship. I admire him as he has fought against this where other young talented riders have given up trying. You wont find a rider who works harder to achieve success but some think that is wrong!

Last edited:

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
You show very little understanding of what it takes to get where he has ! He may come across as brash and arrogant but so are all of them to some degree you do not get to the top without treading on toes.
I had a horse with Olly and to be totally frank his honesty was a refreshing change from some I had dealings with ,he comes from yorkshire and calls a spade a spade and some people dont like it ! Nobody at that level is squeaky clean and employ a lot more underhand tactics than what you are suggesting.
I am afraid he has had to fight an establishment that does not always treat everybody as equals and without mentioning names are not always brought to the fore based on merit and horsemanship. I admire him as he has fought against this where other young talented riders have given up trying. You wont find a rider who works harder to achieve success but some think that is wrong!

Goodness me I know not everybody is squeaky clean and sure some are more advantaged than others, I also know that he does work very hard and I am fond of honesty (brutally even), and I am sure many of them are brash and arrogant, I think and respect that he is a very good rider but I also think he has not portrayed himself very well in a few interviews etc. and unfotunately however good you are or how hard you work people aren't gonna like it.

Too add: people asked about perspectives on what or rather didn't really happen after his dressage test and that is what I heard and thought ie. people seemd to think it was deliberate, i don't know personally, I doubt he did do it deliberately, but perhaps he could of been a little more considerate...granted that by all acounts it was a very good test he had every right to be excited.

popsdosh

Visit site
I am sorry if my comments sounded a bit harsh ,but I get a little upset when people pick on OT as people seem to resent ambition in this country. I am sure that if he wished to put off the next rider he would have done something more subtle than that.
His public face may need a tweak or two to put right peoples perceptions of him,however I can honestly say out of all the top riders I have come across Ollie is the one who always goes out of his way to say hello even when he is busy at events.

Cyrus

Visit site
I am sorry if my comments sounded a bit harsh ,but I get a little upset when people pick on OT as people seem to resent ambition in this country. I am sure that if he wished to put off the next rider he would have done something more subtle than that.
His public face may need a tweak or two to put right peoples perceptions of him,however I can honestly say out of all the top riders I have come across Ollie is the one who always goes out of his way to say hello even when he is busy at events.

Whenever I have met him he has always seemed very shy and polite, watching him school a horse is fantastic he never pushes too hard and quite quickly picks up their strengths and weaknesses

LittleTero

Visit site
I didn't see his dressage but his XC yesterday was fantastic. It was the one round that had me glued to the screen. I'm no eventing buff in any way but through my ignorant and unknowing eyes I've found myself really liking OT. Mainly because he isn't scared to run a few people up the wrong way, and speak his mind. He's one of the few modern day riders who could be a character in a Jilly Cooper novel because they have a large personality and a certain something. I was having a discussion with non-horsey friends about babminton and they commented on how they found watching it dull because everyone looked the same, they couldn't relate to it and there weren't any riders that they could pick out, distinguish as a character or like or dislike as being contraversial. When I had to think of one OT sprang to mind. Whether for the right or wrong reasons every sport needs people to stand out, and any talking point is worth it's weight at present as the sport tries to become more viewable for the public. I often watch the old SJ from the 70/80's on YouTube and find it so much more thrilling than any of it that I watch today. The horses all looked different, the riders had very distinctive styles and you could pick them out without seeing their names at the bottom, and Harvey Smith arguing with the judges because he wanted to carry on may not be the 'done' thing but it makes for good and exciting viewing, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed all the excitement. I appreciate that sports move on and that the horses will be more similar due to the type they have to be to take on such courses and the riders need to be a bit similar in some ways because a very top standard of riding is required to make it. However any face that can be picked from the crowd for whatever reason is good in my book, both for watcher enjoyment, promotion of the sport and helping to get non-horsey people interested even at spectator level. If OT is engaging with the crowd I think it's great, it makes him real. Hopefully it was for the right reasons.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site

No worries, my first post wasn't particularly well written.

I have to say the XC rounds that stood out for me were WFP and Chilli-that was very classy-, PF & SEcond Supreme- lovely to see her getting her teeth int it and being "feisty", and OT and Armada lovely round - all three gorgous horses.

EventingMum

Visit site
Whenever I have met him he has always seemed very shy and polite, watching him school a horse is fantastic he never pushes too hard and quite quickly picks up their strengths and weaknesses

I have never seen him as shy, having seen him competing at lower levels he certainly appeared but shy. I've never found him rude, just a young man who works hard to do his job well in a down to earth manner. By his own admission he has been outspoken and over stepped the mark in the past but he seems to have matured a lot in recent years. His personal life has been the subject of much speculation over the years but that shouldn't affect his ability to do his job well.

Cyrus

Visit site
I have never seen him as shy, having seen him competing at lower levels he certainly appeared but shy. I've never found him rude, just a young man who works hard to do his job well in a down to earth manner. By his own admission he has been outspoken and over stepped the mark in the past but he seems to have matured a lot in recent years. His personal life has been the subject of much speculation over the years but that shouldn't affect his ability to do his job well.

Having been for a visit to his yard with friend for her to do photos for his website and waiting 20 mins for him to come out his house due to his mums words "he's rather shy" but when it comes to his business and his horses I guess he isn't

lannerch

Visit site
I think he is shy and he hides behind the cocky persona so appears anything but.

Whenever I see him at events he does always say hello, more than I can say for other competitors let alone professionals.

Yes he's made mistakes and he admits it, he's rubbed people up the wrong way , he's tried in the early days to pinch rides but he's not the only one guilty of that and short of the financial background a lot of our best riders have had.

He's had to work hard for where he is now, and he's matured into a very good rider and with the up and coming horse power he now has I suspect he will be winning the top ones again very soon!