Ollie's thread :)

B_2_B

Visit site
Since we are breaking in/backing Ollie (and it is my first time helping out with this too) and he is so beautiful I'm going to update this thread every week with how he's doing :) Really there will just be lots of pretty pictures :p

He is a 7 year old welsh pony and he is an absolute star :D
We have had him about 2 weeks now and he hasn't put a foot wrong really, long reining and is just learning his voice commands but he is so chilled out :)
I did end up in a ditch at one point when a nasty big lorry went past but it was the first time one has ever passed him so his reaction was understandable :p

Yesterday we put a saddle on him on the yard and he couldn't have cared less so today he went out with his saddle girthed up and he never even flinched once doing the girth up and was so nonplussed by it all :D

Isn't he so handsome :D

Tash88

Visit site
Oh what a lovely boy! Looks like he has a cheeky side as well, look forward to reading the updates and seeing more photos!

B_2_B

Visit site
Oh what a lovely boy! Looks like he has a cheeky side as well, look forward to reading the updates and seeing more photos!

:)
All the small ponies have a cheeky side :D
We think we could chuck someone on him now and he wouldn't be bothered but he is male so don't want to rush him too much ;)

He can be jumpy and Mossburn is near a saw mill so we need to crack the large horse eating lorries too :p

B_2_B

Visit site
gorgeous pony and he looks very intelligent.... could be hard work for you to keep him entertained !! :)

It's alright the yearling is doing that atm :D Although he's perfectly happy to lie flat out sleeping most of the day :p
She is the problem, she's the destructively intelligent type :p Hopefully they'll keep each other out of too much trouble! *crosses fingers*

B_2_B

Visit site
Well Ollie still couldn't care less about his saddle, has the stirrups down now, and I think on Sunday we will lean a small child over his back :D

Ollie has met lots of things when he's been out this week - tractors, lorries, cars, horsebox, other horses, a deer and a couple of random machines I don't know the name of, and everyone is still alive to tell the tales :p

He did have on rather funny mishap when he pee'd on the road and the pee ran all the way across the road, and he was terrified of it! :D
He had a huge paddy and ended up jumping over it :p
So now we know he is scared of water, and apparently has never liked it but you would have thought his own pee would be ok :D
Lots of walking through puddles from now on then ;)

I am thinking of taking him to a show... which is a bit crazy as I've only ever been to a couple of shows as a spectator, he has never been, and it will be quite hard work to get him there with everything we need but it's an idea :D

babymare

Visit site
Hes a real beauty. gorgeousness of scale. get yourselves to a lovely little show and get bitten by the bug. he will certainly stand his own in the ring :)

B_2_B

Visit site
Hes a real beauty. gorgeousness of scale. get yourselves to a lovely little show and get bitten by the bug. he will certainly stand his own in the ring :)

:)
We don't show our ponies generally so there is transport to sort, I need stuff to wear, he needs a show bridle, I'm not sure how we're going to bath him, and no idea how he'd behave, and it depends if we can find a show that fits in around everyone's work rota, but we want to give it a shot :D
It would be great to get him there and have some fun :D

I love Ollie :D

He is a dude :D

B_2_B

Visit site
Ollie has been an absolute star this week :D :D

He was going to be leant across on Sunday, but he didn't even flinch so he was then sat on, and sat on with feet in stirrups and did several laps of the arena.
He was SO good and behaved like he'd been ridden for years :D :D

He's so easy, and such a pleasure to work with :D

I'm going to link to the photo on our facebook page since it isn't me in the photo :)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=608782115812965&set=a.598635503494293.1073741826.560170420674135&type=1&theater

B_2_B

Visit site
I rode Ollie this week :D

He is still being so good although a bit of a baby (understandably) and he won't go by himself yet. He will follow anything though, another pony or a person or anything that moves as long as he isn't going alone :p
We have managed to get him to go in front for about half a length of the arena but once he gets so far in front he just stops.
He is perfectly fine being mounted, halt is great, walk on is mostly great and we are just going slowly but surely :D

He was very good for the farrier today and his feet are much better now :)
His show entry form is filled in and ready to post... :eek:

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
He is so pretty. There is nothing as pretty as a little welsh head! I miss my stepson's cute Section A.

And what a lovely facebook page, I got intrigued by George the pig spreading straw videos and all the other lovely pics. What a gorgeous place.

B_2_B

Visit site
WOW brilliant well done! Keep the pics coming :)

Aawww... Can I have him?

:D

No :p :D

He is so pretty. There is nothing as pretty as a little welsh head! I miss my stepson's cute Section A.

And what a lovely facebook page, I got intrigued by George the pig spreading straw videos and all the other lovely pics. What a gorgeous place.

He is very pretty, they are cute and they know it :D

Thanks, I think I take too many photos but lots of our animals are bonkers and make for good photo/video opportunities :p
George pig is totally nuts but he's very funny :)

B_2_B

Visit site
Bit of a setback after he's been doing so well as poor boy now has mild laminitis :(
He's in for now, vet back on Monday and then we'll have to change his exercise plans etc!

The show is entered, whether we go or not is undecided now but we have a month to slim him down a bit and hopefully we can still go, it is just for the experience anyway!

Hopefully he gets over the lami quickly and is back to his normal self!

B_2_B

Visit site
Not a lot to update since he's been on box rest, vet visiting again tomorrow, but have a photo :D

1005174_10151532040287496_369362954_n.jpg

Hetsmum

Visit site
Oh bless him. He really is a cutie :D Vibes he gets well soon. Hard to see from the camera angle but he doesn't look overweight at all........... xxx

B_2_B

Visit site
Oh bless him. He really is a cutie :D Vibes he gets well soon. Hard to see from the camera angle but he doesn't look overweight at all........... xxx

He has lost his grass belly since being in but he does have a crest and is atill wider around the middle than he should be! He has lots of exercise planned though ;)

B_2_B

Visit site
Not a great update but thought I should do one anyway!

He was all better after having laminitis and back in a bare paddock and starting to go out on hacks!
On the plus side, he is still being so brilliant riding wise :biggrin3: He has been on three hacks so far and has been great, he worries if the horses in front go round a corner before him so he's best at the back, although he will go fine if he's at the front too lol, male logic :tongue3:

4 days after going back out all the time, he's cut his leg open in the field and is now back in his box :frown3:
Absolutely no idea what he's done, I haven't seen it yet cause I'm off today but apparently it's like a knife has sliced down his leg *sigh*
He is stapled up and should be fine but it is frustrating, he is an unlucky pony!

Last edited: