Olympic Dressage article in Guardian

muffinino

Visit site
Wow, that was a well researched, un-biased, inelligent article
smirk.gif

I fail to see why journalists insist upon attacking sports such as dressage, synchronised swimming etc as being pointless or stupid when they haven't got a clue how it works. What's it got to do with them? They might not enjoy it but others do so what's it to them? I don't enjoy football, can't see the point of it, but that doesn't mean I think others should be deprived of the pleasure they get out of it. Honestly...
smirk.gif

haybales

Visit site
shocked.gif

i actually couldnt finish reading that article, my bood was beginning to boil!!! im actually amazed its been published, it's almost libel!!!

k1963

Visit site
Typical Guardian style reporting
mad.gif

I'm not a fan of pure dressage , but live & let live & try some research before knocking something !

haybales

Visit site
my recent experiences of journalists seems to show the same, they want to be sensationalist and disregard any consequences of what they write, nor seem to know how to research absolutely anything.

TarrSteps

Visit site
To be fair, it's not an "article" it's an "op ed" piece - someone's opinion. The purpose is to get people talking . . .

I suspect lots of people feel similarly, to be honest. Unless the sport makes the opposite view just as attractive people are usually going to go with the simplistic, smart *** view point.

Hettie

Visit site
oh gosh that made me chuckle
grin.gif
Bless his ignorant little soul... Snooker indeed... Doesn't he just sound so much.. fun..
crazy.gif

skewbaldpony

Visit site
one has to realise that intellectual pseudo working class inverted snobbery is the grauniad's stock in trade. and to be sure of getting the little islingtonites onside, he mentioned foxhunting early on.
Ooh and as for being up for snooooker, how deliciously gritty and housing estate can you get.
Pass the chablis and have another olive darling, mind you don't burn the focaccia.
Yawn.

smallbutgreat

Visit site
Mildly funny piece, but do think they were trying to get a rise.

Now, over to one of us I guess. I'll bet The Guardian is open to someone from here submitting a similar length opinion piece in defence of dressage!

(Can't even think of attempting it myself, it has NOT been our equine strength to say the least).

kit279

Visit site
Luckily, noone who makes the decisions actually cares what he thinks! Perhaps someone ought to point out that the original point of dressage was control of one's horse in warfare. I think the piaffe would be appropriate here - trampling repeatedly on the enemy's head..

BBH

Visit site
I thought it was quite funny actually and tongue in cheek. I think its quite relevant that the layman would have no idea what was good and what was bad about the movements, or what any objective was. Rather than get indignant that needs to be overcome if ever you want it to become mainstream, on the other hand dressage people might prefer it to be considered elitist, who knows, but there are enough 'horse people' who don't 'get' dressage. It is terminally boring.

Prepares to run off and hide.

lucretia

Visit site
he has got a point about sorts that are judged sujectively though. i do sort of feel that a sport is something that can be 'won' fair and sqare by the fastest, longest, biggest etc etc.....

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I agree with lucretia..
Also, as an eventing person, who can ride dressage up to say Med. level (all be it in a crap way).. i also fail to see what's going on.. so god only knows what some unhorsey person thinks of it..
I also do get a bit (insert feeling) when watching horses in endless passage and piaffe.. lets face it, it doesn't look quite right
crazy.gif

*will run and hide now*

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
thought it was funny, maybe the way equestrianism, particularly dressage, is perceived is because it takes itself way too seriously?! can you not see how it looks to a non horsey person-even to me it looks like some of the horses are mad
laugh.gif

Hullabaloo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was quite funny actually and tongue in cheek. I think its quite relevant that the layman would have no idea what was good and what was bad about the movements, or what any objective was. Rather than get indignant that needs to be overcome if ever you want it to become mainstream, on the other hand dressage people might prefer it to be considered elitist, who knows, but there are enough 'horse people' who don't 'get' dressage. It is terminally boring.

Prepares to run off and hide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I was just going to post something along these lines but you've put it so much better than I could.

Lighten up people - its actually quite an amusing, well written article and pokes fun at a number of sports, not just dressage. I'm sure to dressage enthusiasts it is fun to watch, but to most people it probably just looks dull, dull, dull.

LHS - any room for me, wherever you're hiding
laugh.gif

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Well I can only suggest it humbly as I am guilty of partaking of the Guardian and presumably therefore by association guilty of intellectual pseudo working class inverted snobbery which is apparently its stock in trade. However I've never been to Islingon and support foxhunting but please don't tell my newsagent or he might never sell me another copy (mind you I do know people who live on a housing estate so I might just get away with it).

Black or green olives?
grin.gif

Yawn.

skewbaldpony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I can only suggest it humbly as I am guilty of partaking of the Guardian and presumably therefore by association guilty of intellectual pseudo working class inverted snobbery which is apparently its stock in trade. However I've never been to Islingon and support foxhunting but please don't tell my newsagent or he might never sell me another copy (mind you I do know people who live on a housing estate so I might just get away with it).

Black or green olives?
grin.gif

Yawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. One of us needs to lighten up.
laugh.gif

kerilli

Visit site
Must admit, watching the last few go in the kur having read the article, i did think that the horse that entered, halted at X and proceeded to drool quite dramatically, reminded me of the horrible thing in Jurassic Park that spits at the fat guy!
the horses do look a bit demented, and really, ballet on horseback is a bit mental..!

caemar1

Visit site
When I read the few few posts about this I prepared myself to get angry while reading the article.

But actually, I was laughing my head off while reading it!!!! Very funny with the authors tongue firmly in his cheek!

KenRehill

www.frenchstallions.org
Watched some of the syncro swimming this morning and have to say it was more interesting. Except for the two American commentators motor mouthing. I had to turn the sound down, but synchro is more about pictures, from a male perspective.

Faithkat

Visit site
Any "sport" is pointless if you really boil it down:
football : 22 people kicking what was originally an air-filled pig's bladder around
golf : hitting a ball with a stick into a hole you can't even see
synchronised swimming : now, what's that all about?
swimming : yeah, yeah, so you can swim fast but why?
athletics, particularly running : see swimming comment above but replace swmming with running . . .
etc etc. I'm not dissing any sports, by the way, it's just an overly-simplified comment

The Guardian journalist obviously has absolutely no idea that classical dressage movements started on the medieval battlefield as a way of avoiding bodies on the ground!