Olympic Eventing - just to clarify a couple of things...

tiggs

Visit site
From Nicola's website

Nicola and Opposition Buzz named as reserves for Team GB
Nicola and Opposition Buzz have been named as reserves for the eventing team who will represent Team GB at the Olympics. 'Obviously I am gutted not to be selected for the Olympics, especially with the improvement that Opposition Buzz showed in the dressage phase at Bramham', says Nicola, who continues, 'I fully respect the selectors decision and wish the five riders who are part of Team GB at the Olympics the very best of luck'.

kerilli

Visit site

kerilli

Visit site
That's a bit unfair K! :eek:

Of course it can happen to anyone - I don't think there's a huge uprising arguing about selected (or non-selected) riders cracking under pressure is there?

Remember WFP at the last fence on the XC at Beijing? :eek:;)

Erm, that's why i said it can happen to anyone... but let's face it, that was a medal position iirc, thrown away by a bad split-second decision. As was KOC's.
I didn't say 'a huge uprising' but the comment has been made, of a non-selected rider, rather unfairly I think.
I don't think WFP's misser at the last fence was 'cracking under pressure', it was 'hustling to try to avoid every last time penalty' and, thank god, getting away with it! he did have the grace to apologise for nearly giving us all heart attacks... ;) ;)

kerilli

Visit site
OK, next question from me...

What days is it on? Just got my July roster in and wondering if I'm even around to watch it on tv..

Mon 30 July.
I'm hoping we can get enough takers to run the ERA Summer Party, so I can watch it on a huge screen in a marquee, with loads of food and drinkies and a fabulous atmosphere... absolutely cannot wait!

ihatework

Visit site
From Nicola's website

Nicola and Opposition Buzz named as reserves for Team GB
Nicola and Opposition Buzz have been named as reserves for the eventing team who will represent Team GB at the Olympics. 'Obviously I am gutted not to be selected for the Olympics, especially with the improvement that Opposition Buzz showed in the dressage phase at Bramham', says Nicola, who continues, 'I fully respect the selectors decision and wish the five riders who are part of Team GB at the Olympics the very best of luck'.

The most politically correct thing she could have done in the circumstances.
I'm gutted for Nicola, I 100% think she should be in the team.
She needs to act the bigger person here, not even contemplate appealing (won't do her any favours in the future), and be ready to step in at short notice, which lets face it - with 5 horses in a team is more than possible one will be lame.

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
Alright you lot, I'm afraid I'm going to have to name this thread as the reason I've achieved so bl**dy little in terms of work this afternoon!! I have spent a happy hour (or two) trawling through eventing vids on youtube, googling photos of some of the eventers in the 80's and 90's, and frankly have had a much better time than I would have had if I'd been doing what I was supposed to be doing in the first place!

I think as someone has said earlier, the selectors are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. We are lucky that we have such a good pool of talent from which to choose. The US have similar numbers (hence the shortlist coming to Barbury) but take a look at some of the comments on the Eventing Nation website - it's not just the UK selection that is controversial.

It's going to be an edge-of-the-seat competiton for sure!

armchair_rider

Visit site
Have you seen the Burghley website with extended highlights from the early 90s? That makes some interesting viewing.

Has Miner's Frolic had soundness issues or just sickness? If he's been persistantly unsound then picking him seems to be a big risk of the type which doesn't often pay off.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Have you seen the Burghley website with extended highlights from the early 90s? That makes some interesting viewing.

Has Miner's Frolic had soundness issues or just sickness? If he's been persistantly unsound then picking him seems to be a big risk of the type which doesn't often pay off.

He just had a virus, albeit a serious one, I think. Looked fine on Sunday!

Interesting, just reading the Telegraph write up of Zara and Bramham from Sunday that my aunt brought round, and it says 40% of horses had four fences down in the show jumping...

teapot

Visit site

Miner's Frolic had something (can't remember what it was) which almost killed him last year.

BBC have cottoned onto the '6th games for Mary King' bit too - isn't that now a record or something?

kerilli

Visit site

Oooh, i'll have a look. i have most of those on VHS tapes anyway though... ;) ;)
I think MF's illness last year was the only problem, I haven't heard of soundness problems.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Thanks. I know he was very ill list year but I was trying to remember if he'd had issues previously.

MK is a comparitive newcomer compared to Canadian SJ'er Ian Miller who has been to 9 olympic games!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_athletes_with_the_most_appearances_at_Olympic_Games << indicates 86 people who've competed at least 6 times and at least 17 with 7+ Olympic games under their belts.

Are the eventing team going to the opening ceremony? If so MK must be a good bet for GB flag carrier, it's always one of the most experienced pople in the team

teapot

Visit site
Thanks. I know he was very ill list year but I was trying to remember if he'd had issues previously.

MK is a comparitive newcomer compared to Canadian SJ'er Ian Miller who has been to 9 olympic games!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_athletes_with_the_most_appearances_at_Olympic_Games << indicates 86 people who've competed at least 6 times and at least 17 with 7+ Olympic games under their belts.

Are the eventing team going to the opening ceremony? If so MK must be a good bet for GB flag carrier, it's always one of the most experienced pople in the team

She'll be the most Olympic-fied eventer though for GB. Not a bad achievement!

I'll be surprised if they do - opening ceremony isn't finishing until midnight and the first dressage is the following morning.

Gamebird

Visit site
As far as I remember Miners Frolic had a rub on his withers going into Badminton last year which was infected. It was treated with antibiotics but led to him developing Colitis X - a frequently fatal condition in horses which is a rare but recognised side-effect of anitbiotic use. I think he spent something ridiculous like 6 weeks in intensive care.

Certainly not an issue that would bother the selectors now that he's fully recovered.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think Zara's horse has actually done a 4* but it does seem woefully inexperienced in comparison with OB. I think none of us will ever know half the reasons behind these choices, but there will be good ones I'm sure, the selectors would have chosen the horses and riders they believe can bring home gold. Yogi will have been working with the squad for a long time now so will know their strengths better than anyone, and he won't want to look silly, but I agree with you, OP is my favourite horse to watch XC, and I think he would have zoomed round this course. ...

oldvic

Visit site
Yes, the US short list also contains some less than obvious choices - perhaps more than ours. Maybe we should hope they will continue the same selection policy!
Our selectors are a VERY experienced panel who have been involved with the sport at Olympic level for many years. Yogi is the performance manager and sits in on the meeting in an advisory capacity but doesn't vote on decisions.
Kerilli - yes, Barcelona was very big with very long alternatives to get people round. At the last water, only Andrew Nicholson, Matt Ryan and maybe 1 or 2 others went straight successfully. As far as I remember, team orders were to go long for most so some top riders weren't allowed to try. It was a fabulous course. Hong kong had different challenges. Because of the climate, the XC was only 8 mins but that increases the intensity of effort which makes the questions harder.
As far as selection goes, at the Olympics it is all about medals, particularly gold. You get nothing for being 4th so it is all or nothing and hoping that fortune favours the brave. There was a lot of criticism of one rider in Hong Kong for going for the time. It nearly came off but he fell at the 2nd last. He needed to try to give himself as much advantage as he could as the horse was a notoriously bad show jumper and, with 2 rounds, a medal was going to be hard. There was no point in riding for 4th place. We can all be guilty of criticising without knowing all the facts.

The XC consultant at Greenwich is Pierre Michelet - reknowned for forward distances, clever lines and refusal to use pins so it will be interesting to see how much influence he has. The riders faith in him has gone a long way in placating them over the choice of designer.

oldvic

Visit site
The reasons behind selection have to stay private to be fair to horses, riders and owners. Issues with their horses are none of our business an could affect their futures.

High kingdom's form has got better and better as he has gained experience and it is really the last 12 months that count.

TableDancer

Visit site
As far as selection goes, at the Olympics it is all about medals, particularly gold. You get nothing for being 4th so it is all or nothing and hoping that fortune favours the brave. There was a lot of criticism of one rider in Hong Kong for going for the time. It nearly came off but he fell at the 2nd last. He needed to try to give himself as much advantage as he could as the horse was a notoriously bad show jumper and, with 2 rounds, a medal was going to be hard. There was no point in riding for 4th place. We can all be guilty of criticising without knowing all the facts.

The XC consultant at Greenwich is Pierre Michelet - reknowned for forward distances, clever lines and refusal to use pins so it will be interesting to see how much influence he has. The riders faith in him has gone a long way in placating them over the choice of designer.

Totally agree with the first paragraph. And didn't know about Pierre Michelet, that is fascinating as he is just the right sort of person for that terrain. Personally I LOVE riding his courses but you need perfect lines, bold riding and a totally obedient, straight horse who totally trusts you (in my opinion). Should be fascinating!

The reasons behind selection have to stay private to be fair to horses, riders and owners. Issues with their horses are none of our business an could affect their futures.

High kingdom's form has got better and better as he has gained experience and it is really the last 12 months that count.

Once again, I couldn't agree more. Plus, these selection things are not a paper exercise. HK is a stunning horse which oozes class and has hit form at the right time - he could surprise a lot of people in Greenwich, just like MF did in HK :)

kerilli

Visit site
Kerilli - yes, Barcelona was very big with very long alternatives to get people round. At the last water, only Andrew Nicholson, Matt Ryan and maybe 1 or 2 others went straight successfully. As far as I remember, team orders were to go long for most so some top riders weren't allowed to try. It was a fabulous course. Hong kong had different challenges. Because of the climate, the XC was only 8 mins but that increases the intensity of effort which makes the questions harder.

Ah, I didn't remember all the others who'd gone straight at the water there. I think Blyth did too. Those pesky team orders though... I remember poor Karen Dixon having to crawl around ALL the long routes on Get Smart (one of the very best xc horses of his day) on team orders, and losing out of any chance of an indiv medal, I can't remember which Olympics that was, Seoul I think... or Barcelona? So gutting to watch, poor thing, I dread to think how it must have felt to have to do that with such a fantastic horse under her.
Must admit I was one of the ones who was outspoken about that certain rider in HK... not at all because he went for the time (it was an amazingly judged and ridden round and so so nearly worked, and I could totally see why he did it) but because, having fallen, he didn't even look at or pat the horse afterwards as he led it away. I'm sure the huge disappointment was the cause but i'm a bit of a Pathetic Pony Patter and notice these things!
I agree that the reasons for the selector's decisions should stay private... it's just that a lot of us were really looking forward to seeing Buzz go round there as pathfinder, I think. But it makes sense to take 5 that can all sparkle, nowadays, with the other teams all so good... no point relying on most of the others to have problems etc!

Gamebird

Visit site
Have just watched a wee bit of Barcelona and Sydney and apart from being serious courses (Sydney especially) the OT was >13 minutes. And that's long format, in pretty unfavourable heat conditions. In fact the first rider home in Sydney took nearly 16 minutes :eek:

TarrSteps

Visit site

Ah, Gallic rather than Gaelic as has been suggested in other quarters. :)

I would agree with the sentiment that selectors have to send people who will be in it to win it. Gone are the days when you could win a medal with a horse that consistently struggled with dressage or sj, or even one that regularly racks up time penalties. Of course, no one wants to be 8th if it all goes **** up but, as above, there's no point in being 4th either!

How does funding work in this country? In smaller countries it makes more sense to send people who will likely still be standing up at the end of the day, as finishing is its own reward and the likelihood of winning is microscopic anyway. In some ways it's great to have all this choice but in another way . . . .no pressure!

kerilli

Visit site
Ah, Gallic rather than Gaelic as has been suggested in other quarters. :)

My bad, I blame it totally on the strong accent of the person who told me! (and the fact that the next person I asked about it backed up my misinterpretation. drats.)

Gamebird, I know, very serious tests of stamina, but I guess the saving grace may have been that they had much longer galloping sections between fences, so much more time for the horse to get its breathing back right I guess (as they don't breathe in midair etc, iirc)? Greenwich is going to be at the other extreme, I suspect...

SpottedCat

Visit site
TS - funding is incredibly closely linked to medals - sports are given targets, and if they don't meet or exceed them funding is cut. At least that's the way I understand it!

oldvic

Visit site
Kerilli - don't forget a horse can pick up on feelings especially when a partnership is well established. It was very close to the finish with fans and cooling facilities where he would be thoroughly checked out of the public gaze. Feelings kept private doesn't mean they don't exist.

TarrSteps - I think the funding is results based. I believe the performance team have to state expectations and the amount of money depends on whether they deliver. For the less experienced nations, completing is The aim and they may well have minimal funding anyway.

The intensity at Greenwich may well be very testing and, like you say, the long courses meant it was much easier to establish a rhythm and the breathing pattern.

Last edited:

kerilli

Visit site
Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that. Thankyou.
I think Greenwich is going to be seriously testing, in a similar way to Beijing, which made some very experienced combinations look somehow less competent than usual.
It'll be a fascinating competition, so many nations are really strong at the moment. Can't wait.

CalllyH

Visit site
Why is it illegal to sell olympic tickets on eBay? Sorry slightly off topic but just trying desperately to get some :(

TarrSteps

Visit site
Kerilli - don't forget a horse can pick up on feelings especially when a partnership is well established. It was very close to the finish with fans and cooling facilities where he would be thoroughly checked out of the public gaze. Feelings kept private doesn't mean they don't exist.

TarrSteps - I think the funding is results based. I believe the performance team have to state expectations and the amount of money depends on whether they deliver. For the less experienced nations, completing is The aim and they may well have minimal funding anyway.

The intensity at Greenwich may well be very testing and, like you say, the long courses meant it was much easier to establish a rhythm and the breathing pattern.

I think the first paragraph bears repeating again and again and again regarding all sorts of situations with horses. A great deal is made of how people behave with regard to how they're observed by other people but horses don't care about someone's press.

I was was wondering if the funding was target based or done on a sliding scale - in other words, if there is a reasonable expectation that a team will win are they completely out of luck if they're 4th? I don't know how it currently works in say, Canada, but it used to be done on a ranking basis so finishing and being 6th was a better result for the future than potentially not finishing at all and being last. Of course, the amounts we're talking about are tiny but still, it did mean selectors always had to consider future funding not just the current competition.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Why is it illegal to sell olympic tickets on eBay? Sorry slightly off topic but just trying desperately to get some :(

So that no one can profit from being lucky in the ballot. Which is a bit of a pain.

I am SO ridiculously excited about the Olympics! I can't remember being this involved since Seoul, a very very long time ago!! We are so so lucky to have so many classy partnerships to choose from.

Isabelle

cefyl

Visit site
So that no one can profit from being lucky in the ballot. Which is a bit of a pain.

I am SO ridiculously excited about the Olympics! I can't remember being this involved since Seoul, a very very long time ago!! We are so so lucky to have so many classy partnerships to choose from.

Isabelle

Yet it is acceptable to the Olympic committee for Thomas Cook as a "sponsor" to resell their ticket allocation as a so called wildly expensive package deal to include a hotel room for one night!

Last edited:

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
All this talk of the GB eventing team at the Olympics has clearly got right into my brain (already excited as I'm going to the cross country day!) So much so that I had a dream about it last night, i was actually in the team! YAY, much to lots of people's disgust, the team managed to get Gold and we ended up with a clean sweep of the individual medals too, gold - WFP, Silver - Mary king, Bronze - ME!!!!:eek::eek:

I tell you what, it was a dream that I didn't want to end!!!!