Olympics - who would you chose after Badminton?

VRIN

Visit site
Out of interest does anyone know why Amarda left AN for OT?

As other poster said. AN and OT are good friends and AN gave Armada to OT, as he hadn't enough time to devote which meant that OT was able to keep his 'eye' in at 4star level - win win all round.

Branna

Visit site
What type of horse/rider suits Pierre Michelet courses? Should know, but where else has he designed?

He designed at WEG in Normandy, also Pau 4 star I think. Toothbrush fishes in water and a preference for lots of brush rather than frangible pins if I remember correctly!

teapot

Visit site
He designed at WEG in Normandy, also Pau 4 star I think. Toothbrush fishes in water and a preference for lots of brush rather than frangible pins if I remember correctly!

Yup, Fontainebleau Le Lion d’Angers too I think?

wellwisher

Visit site
Of course! So quite a challenging course could be on the cards even if at a slightly lesser level than a typical 4*? Quite a conundrum!

Horsemad12

Visit site
Zara has the experience that the team needs as does her horse. I hope Gemma gets a chance but she may be too much of a SJ risk.

As for the rest it is pretty open so I think will very much depend on forthcoming results.

Either way we don't seem to have the strongest team for Rio, but things ebb and flow and this ebb may just allow some new names to start to make their mark even if we don't get a medal, hopefully we will be stronger for the experience and better placed in 4 years time.

Lexi_

Visit site
There's just something about Zara's performance that slightly niggles me. Yes she's consistent and experienced, no denying that, but I wouldn't be feeling hopeful she'd go clear in the SJ and it's rare she does a dressage test that's under mid 40s.

I'd quite like the selectors to be bold but they don't tend to do it at an Olympics. Does it mess up future funding etc if we don't get a medal? Can't remember how that side of things works!

popsdosh - who do you mean? I'm intrigued!

Branna

Visit site
I'd add in Kitty King and Ceylor Lan!

I think they are the most certain to get a slot as long as the horse looks in form. I just watched the backstage bbc sport facebook coverage with Clare Balding and she said Kitty was told she didn't have to go to Badminton as presumably has proven herself last year.

Lexi_

Visit site
I think they are the most certain to get a slot as long as the horse looks in form. I just watched the backstage bbc sport facebook coverage with Clare Balding and she said Kitty was told she didn't have to go to Badminton as presumably has proven herself last year.

She was on the Badminton live stream (Radio Badminton?) as well and was discussing that. Don't forget about Persimmon as well though! She's spoilt for choice there.

Jo_x

Visit site
I think Pippa has to be in with a shout if she's fit, she's had some brilliant 3* results this year. I also wouldn't rule out WFP!

It's a shame it's gone down to 4 riders as with 5 I think the selectors would have been more likely to take a chance on Emily King or Holly Woodhead - both of whom consistently challenge the Germans in the dressage.

HashRouge

Visit site
Tbh I think it's hard to see where we would pull together a team that would beat the Germans or even the French & New Zealanders and a lot of combinations such as Zara are not qualified yet. That aside, Gemma T is an obvious choice at the moment but maybe on her other horse rather than AS that may do a better dressage as long as she can prove its xc form. Apart from that it's wide open, Zara has proven a good jump pathfinder at last Olympics but her dressage hasn't been that great at her last major comps. Would love to see Oli T on the team and I do love armada but I just can't see how you would choose that combination for a champ with its SJ record, black tie is a nice horse and could get a good dressage score but needs to prove xc 3* form.

Oh and weren't WFP and Oli T both selected for Europeans at Blair last year?
Oli wasn't part of the team though - he was competing as an individual.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
When do they announce the team?
I'd been wondering this very question but not thought of many beyond the obvious ones, Gemma T and Tina C.

Dunlin

Visit site
Very difficult to choose as there are some great combinations which finished in the top 25. Tina is always such a wonderful rider and I am always watching Izzy's rounds as they are just so smooth and classy, I also think Laura Collett did fantastically, Grand Manoeuvre has so much scope, I watched her jump the Rolex Crossing in person and he launched into space for the second part! Ben Way, Gemma Tattersall, Francis Whittington and Beanie Sturgess are all names I would put forward too. Being a selector is going to be a tough job this year!

Custard Cream

Visit site
Team being announced after Bramham.

I wouldn't hold out for WFP. His interview with CB on Sunday was rather telling.

The man has nothing to prove!

lannerch

Visit site
If we want any chance of being competitive with the Germans we have to choose those that excell at the dressage. I would choose wfp and ot , perhaps Emily and possibly kitty. The cc is not badminton we don't need our strongest horses in this phase.

ihatework

Visit site
It's a tricky one for the selectors - not a clear cut team by any stretch of the imagination.
I think Tina will be on the team and Kitty (likely on Persimmon if he is right, gut says its a year too soon for Ceylor LAN). It would be a tough selector not to take Gemma after her Badders run. Wide open that's for sure and a lot can happen in a few months. At least we are in the lucky position of having depth to choose from.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Interested to see people have said we need dressage stars not people who have done it already. But, Izzy was on 40 after dr on Allercombe Ellie so think she's in with a shout. I think it would be naive to send Emily King off the back of a fall like that - it'll take a while to get the mojo back and I think it's a bit much to expect from someone so young. Didn't think WFP seemed quite right in his interview at Badminton, not sure he will necessarily be gunning for Rio until he's completely right.

WandaMare

Visit site
If we want any chance of being competitive with the Germans we have to choose those that excell at the dressage. I would choose wfp and ot , perhaps Emily and possibly kitty. The cc is not badminton we don't need our strongest horses in this phase.

I agree, I think it will come down to the dressage potential this time.

rachk89

Visit site
I agree, I think it will come down to the dressage potential this time.

Agreed. I think the Japanese pretty much proved that. 2012 was their first attempt with a team in eventing, and they were 6th after dressage. Their scores were high for a few, but one of them got 38.10 I think. For a first attempt with a team, I thought that was pretty admirable. It was a shame their cross country and jumping sucked, but still they tried and they understood the most important part of eventing really. If they have worked on their cross country and jumping, they may prove a tough team to beat.

They need to focus more on dressage really, but I dont think they will find many this year that can beat the German team. Think we may have to resign ourselves to 2nd and aim for the future as its kind of too late now. I would love to see William on the team, even for just one final time, but I doubt he will. As he has said, he has nothing to prove.

If you go by the top 4 at Badminton after dressage, its Emily King, Francis Whittington, Dani Evans and Izzy Taylor.

Lexi_

Visit site
If you go by the top 4 at Badminton after dressage, its Emily King, Francis Whittington, Dani Evans and Izzy Taylor.

Chances of it actually being that 4 on the team are slim to none though. Picking the top 4 out of one phase at one competition that half the candidates for selection aren't competing at isn't the most logical.

I'm with you on wanting to see WFP on the team though! That interview he did on the Badminton coverage was sad :( I thought he was properly on the mend now he's back competing but it didn't sound that promising.

popsdosh

Visit site
Chances of it actually being that 4 on the team are slim to none though. Picking the top 4 out of one phase at one competition that half the candidates for selection aren't competing at isn't the most logical.

I'm with you on wanting to see WFP on the team though! That interview he did on the Badminton coverage was sad :( I thought he was properly on the mend now he's back competing but it didn't sound that promising.

I am sorry but putting WFP straight in is not the best way and personally think he may not come back at that level . Things have not gone smoothly this spring.
I seriously hope YB takes the chance to change things around for the future good of the team ,not something he normally is good at doing. Sometimes you have to be bold I have seen riders get very disillusioned over the years with the way the team is selected or should I say given a job for life. There is one one rider who most likely may be thought of but does not warrant a place who I shall leave unamed but those who know YB may be able to guess at.

teapot

Visit site
I’m bored of job hunting so decided to search for dressage/team scores since London 2012. I know stats aren’t everything but it shows we're consistantly behind by under 15 marks (bar WEG...).

London 2012 (Olympics)

Germany = 119.10 (Ingrid: 39.3, Dirk S: 39.8, Sandra A: 40.0). Discards were MJ: 40.6 & Peter T: 58.5.
GBR = 127.0 (Mary: 40.9, Tina: 42.0, WFP: 44.1). Discards were Zara: 46.1 & Nicola: 51.7.

Malmo 2013 (Euros)

Germany = 112.20 (MJ: 28.6, Ingrid: 39.4, Dirk S : 44.2). Discard was Andreas D: 48.0.
GBR = 125.20 (WFP: 36.6, Tina: 43.4, Lucy W: 45.2) Discard was Pippa: 47.6.

Normandy 2014 (WEG)

Germany = 117.10 (Sandra A: 35.2, MJ: 40.7, Ingrid: 41.2) Discard was Dirk S: 45.3.
GBR = 142.00 (WFP: 37.5, Tina: 50.0, Zara: 54.5). Discard was Harry: 56.3.

Blair 2015 (Euros)

Germany = 102.70 (Sandra A: 31.4, MJ: 33.5, Ingrid: 37.8). Discard was Dirk S: 43.1
GBR = 112.50 (Nicola: 34.6, Kitty: 36.9, Pippa: 41.0). Discard was WFP: 43.0.

Hindsight aside and knowing who had xc issues etc, at both Euros and WEG, there were GBR individuals with better dressage scores.

X

xspiralx

Much as I'd love WFP to be on the team, I'm not so sure it's going to happen. He hasn't run at an event yet this season without racking up a whole heap of time faults, and although I think that's absolutely the right approach whilst he is in recovery, it doesn't give me great confidence that he will be back to his best in time for the Olympics this year.

I agree that to have any chance of beating the Germans we need a team who can all get sub 40 dressage scores. I think it would be a good opportunity to send out a younger team that have the potential to be stars - I think by playing safe we'll do well and have a fair shot at getting a silver or bronze medal, but if we want any chance of gold then I think some risks need to be taken. Otherwise the Germans are so far ahead after dressage (and so reliable in the jumping phases) that they can't be caught.

rachk89

Visit site

Oh no I know it won't be them. Was just naming them as the people who scored lowest as it was being discussed.

I think chances need to be taken though. Can't have the older ones it seems so pick people who have great dressage horses that are decent jumpers. Otherwise we are just settling for silver/bronze.

Jo_x

Visit site
How does funding work? I'm under the impression that we need to be bringing home medals to continue equestrian funding (willing to be corrected) so I suspect it will be a safe-ish team to try and guarantee that as we have the euros and WEG to try out newer riders at championship level and push for top results. It's not necessarily what I want to happen but it's probably a good thing for ensuring the sport gets to continue longer term