Omeprazole Injections Cost?

Na1998

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how much is costs per injection for ulcer treatment? Due to receive 4 of them, also has anyone found the results better with the injections over the oral paste?
Thanks

olop

Visit site
I was quoted £900 a time when my boy had ulcers, it’s very very expensive! I didn’t got for the treatment in the end and he was put on misoprostol instead which although very expensive as well, helped him.

Na1998

Visit site
I was quoted £900 a time when my boy had ulcers, it’s very very expensive! I didn’t got for the treatment in the end and he was put on misoprostol instead which although very expensive as well, helped him.
Goodness! Is that per injection or for the full course?

Chianti

Visit site
Mine were £192 per injection ( including VAT) and he had six over six weeks. Fortunately we were still insured at that point. I did wonder if the omeprazole was somehow laced with gold dust. Be aware that they can have a reaction to the injections and they are very painful. They left my pony very defensive about being approached by unknown people and he didn't like being touched - even by me - for months.

Na1998

Visit site
Mine were £192 per injection ( including VAT) and he had six over six weeks. Fortunately we were still insured at that point. I did wonder if the omeprazole was somehow laced with gold dust. Be aware that they can have a reaction to the injections and they are very painful. They left my pony very defensive about being approached by unknown people and he didn't like being touched - even by me - for months.
He is well used to being poked and prodded at the moment bless him, just had stifle surgery. Did you do the injections in the neck or bum? We are still insured thankfully but wanted to make sure it wouldn’t max out our vet fees x

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Have a look at Abler. Same product at a fraction of the UK cost. I've used them before.

https://abler.com/abprazole#

Also illegal to import into the UK and have been in trouble lots of time with the american equivalent of our VMD, for their products not containing what they're supposed to contain... So please don't!

Omeprazole injections are in the region of ~£180-200 per bottle at the moment, a standard sized horse will have 1 bottle per injection, given at 5-7 days intervals.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Also illegal to import into the UK

This is true

and [Abler] have been in trouble lots of time with the american equivalent of our VMD, for their products not containing what they're supposed to contain... So please don't!

I believe that this is not.

The ulcer medication was tested by the FDA in the hope that it would prove to be sub standard and it was found not to be. It was within accepted range for a drug of its type.

Last edited:

Chianti

Visit site
He is well used to being poked and prodded at the moment bless him, just had stifle surgery. Did you do the injections in the neck or bum? We are still insured thankfully but wanted to make sure it wouldn’t max out our vet fees x

As far as I recall he had four in his bum- on alternate sides. These were done by two vets at the practice who hadn't dealt with the ulcer history. By the third one he was very unhappy as he knew what was coming. The omeprazole is very thick so the needle has to be quite large and it takes what seems like ages for it to go into the skin. Once the original vet returned she did the rest in his neck as she said they preferred to see what was going on. They can get swelling around the injection site.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
This is true

I believe that this is not.

The ulcer medication was tested by the FDA in the hope that it would prove to be sub standard and it was found not to be. It was within accepted range for a drug of its type.

They definitely got into trouble about it previously (3-4 years ago) but I can’t remember the exact details. maybe they have subsequently tidied up their act. Either way, still illegal.
I’m not agreeing with the massive drug company profits either, but at least it goes through the proper channels.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I met the loveliest mare who was absolutely ruined by having the injections. The horse was so aggressive in her stable that the livery staff were afraid to take her out. She had to be pushed against a wall and twitched to get the needle in, and develop huge lumps where the paste was injected.

If it were my horse, I’d be thinking about different ways to handle the situation.

ycbm

Visit site
They definitely got into trouble about it previously (3-4 years ago) but I can’t remember the exact details. maybe they have subsequently tidied up their act.

I'm sorry but I don't think they did ever get into trouble and they are still trading from Sri Lanka.

The American Food and Drug Adminustration have sent them "smack on the wrist" letters telling them to stop selling into the US, they tested the drugs hoping they would fail but they didn't, they were in accepted guidelines for an NTI drug, and Abler ignored them. There's an old thread somewhere which gives a copy of one of the letters.

It is illegal to import Abler drugs but there are many people who will tell you that they work.

ycbm

Visit site
I met the loveliest mare who was absolutely ruined by having the injections. The horse was so aggressive in her stable that the livery staff were afraid to take her out. She had to be pushed against a wall and twitched to get the needle in, and develop huge lumps where the paste was injected.

If it were my horse, I’d be thinking about different ways to handle the situation.

That's really interesting to know LG, thanks for that. I will insist on seeing the injection and continue with oral treatment after the first one if I see that, if my horse ever needs it.

Chianti

Visit site

Mine still isn't back to himself after the injections and it's now a year since he finished them. I've had kids sharing him but wouldn't like to risk that now as I can't be 100% certain of him. I think vets should warn clients of the possible behaviour side effects before they use the injections.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
You are looking at about £800 -£900 for a course of 4 injections given weekly, it seems to have better results than oral medication and is easier as doesn't need to be given on an empty stomach like alot of the oral stuff.
Generally best given in the rump as lots react to them in the neck so best to be safe.
They also don't need weening off this like they may need to be with oral medication

Bruce17

Visit site
I think I paid £230 per injection, including visit, in 2018.

As pp has said, they don't need to be given on an empty stomach so easier than paste and are thought to work better.

Meant to be given in rump but mine was a known kicker so were done in neck. It can swell a bit and cause a lump but goes go down fairly quickly.

In my case, three injections completely cleared pyloric ulcers.

Reactions: SO1

Melody Grey

Visit site
Abler drugs work well and have done for many years.

re: omeprazole injections, my horse had a course as a final attempt to clear the ulcers- several rounds of GG, Sucralfate and Karidox had improved them but not totally eradicated. The injections were given in the neck, weekly on alternating sides at horrendous cost; £900 for a months worth is about right because you’ll also have a call out charge weekly unless you can somehow tie it in with other yard visits?

monty’s neck did swell into lumps the size of a boiled egg. The vet did warn me, but they went down over weeks and he didn’t seem phased by it or resistant to having the injections. I stopped treating at this point and didn’t rescope (insurance had run out) so I can’t categorically say the ulcers completely resolved with the injections.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Nexium works even better than any form of omeprazole according to the research and you can buy it over the counter in the UK, admittedly for people not horses, but probably a better option than Abler. It costs about £35 for a months worth of treatment.

Fieldlife

Visit site
Nexium works even better than any form of omeprazole according to the research and you can buy it over the counter in the UK, admittedly for people not horses, but probably a better option than Abler. It costs about £35 for a months worth of treatment.

I’ve not seen that research. I thought it was a worthwhile test, if give nexium and get significant improvement likely to have ulcers.

I’m also pretty sure you can’t get a months treatment level for a 500kg horse for £35.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve not seen that research. I thought it was a worthwhile test, if give nexium and get significant improvement likely to have ulcers.

I’m also pretty sure you can’t get a months treatment level for a 500kg horse for £35.

OH is on a high prescription dose of Esomeprazole (which is what Nexium is, though his tablets are 40mg each, Nexium are 10 or 20 I think ) ....I wondered if he could ‘lose a few boxes’ and worked out that we’d need 50 of his high strength tablets/ day to treat a 500kg horse at 4mg/kg!

....so assuming the dosage rate for Esomeprazole and omeprazole would be the same (someone correct me if not), I decided it was a non-starter.

ETA: link on info comparing omeprazole and Esomeprazole:https://drugsdetails.com/difference-between-omeprazole-and-esomeprazole/

...basically Esomeprazole with is cleaner, causing fewer side effects and hence, more expensive than omeprazole.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
According to the limited research, it will work at 0.5mg/kg of the horse is also fed a high grain low fibre diet, 4mg/kg on a high fibre diet.

300mg for a 600kg horse, 15 20mg tablets, probably doable.

I wonder why vets aren't prescribing it? Licencing issues?

ETA still the best part of a tenner a day, depending where you buy them, so still hundreds a month even if it is cheaper than omeprazole. I'm guessing you still have to add sucralfate as well.

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
According to the limited research, it will work at 0.5mg/kg of the horse is also free a high grain low fibre diet, 4mg/kg on a high fibre diet.

300mg for a 600kg horse, 15 20mg tablets, probably doable.

I wonder why vets aren't prescribing it? Licencing issues?
I haven’t seen this, though it’s certainly interesting.

I’m not sure about feeding a high grain low fibre diet though, seems counterintuitive for treating ulcers?

I'm Dun

Visit site
Treatment is 3 x 20mgs tablets a day. People use less and it seems to work, but I think I'd feel happier with 40mgs x 3 a day.

Its here for £23 for 84 tablets, which is a months worth. That was just the first google hit so it might be cheaper elsewhere.

I've not used it, but have seen someone else use it and scope clear afterwards. I've bought some to use as a preventative for mine if he has to travel or be box rested etc

I'm Dun

Visit site
They definitely didnt do high grain diet, and stuck to a traditional ulcer friendly one. If your insured then vet treatment is a no brainer, but for people who arent then its worth looking into. Theres tons of stuff if you google it. I think there's at least 2 possibly 3 research papers that show it has slightly better results than standard ulcer treatment

ycbm

Visit site
Can you point to the study, ID, it didn't come up in my search, only ones at 0.5mg/kg.