Omeprazole Injections Cost?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Treatment is 3 x 20mgs tablets a day. People use less and it seems to work, but I think I'd feel happier with 40mgs x 3 a day.

Its here for £23 for 84 tablets, which is a months worth. That was just the first google hit so it might be cheaper elsewhere.

I've not used it, but have seen someone else use it and scope clear afterwards. I've bought some to use as a preventative for mine if he has to travel or be box rested etc
On the plus side, with a dosage much lower than recommended treatment levels, it’s unlikely to do harm. Worth a try if it’s affordable I’d say.

Melody Grey

Visit site
According to the limited research, it will work at 0.5mg/kg of the horse is also fed a high grain low fibre diet, 4mg/kg on a high fibre diet.

300mg for a 600kg horse, 15 20mg tablets, probably doable.

I wonder why vets aren't prescribing it? Licencing issues?

ETA still the best part of a tenner a day, depending where you buy them, so still hundreds a month even if it is cheaper than omeprazole. I'm guessing you still have to add sucralfate as well.
Re: the sucralfate, it does help but I have treated successfully without in the past. I know some use slippery elm as an old fashioned ‘gut jelly’ and that’s relatively inexpensive.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have found a 2009 study where they used 40mg or 80mg per day but there are multiple studies done after that which all use a minimum dose of 0.5mg/kg and refer to a high grain low fibre diet.

I'd be very interested to see a more recent study at 40/80mg a day, because if it did work at that level it's possibly a no-brainer whether you're insured or not because the cost is less than the insurance excess.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have found a 2009 study where they used 40mg or 80mg per day but there are multiple studies done after that which all use a minimum dose of 0.5mg/kg and refer to a high grain low fibre diet.

I'd be very interested to see a more recent study at 40/80mg a day, because if it did work at that level it's possibly a no-brainer whether you're insured or not because the cost is less than the insurance excess.
Indeed, it would be a total game- changer! Keep us posted if you find anything else along these lines please.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My pony had 6 injections in his rump. He was also given sucralfate.
The first, which was done after scoping, cost £250. This was fine as he was still dozy.
The last 5 I took the pony to another vets.
The next 3, £170.
The last 2 were 1/2 doses and were cheaper.
The second and 5th injections were done by the same vet and were obviously painful.
The other 3 done by another vet. The pony didn’t even notice.
He is progressing well and shows no sign of ulcers or memory of the injections.

Re the use of human omeprazole, I thought, although stand to be corrected, that Gastroguard has an additive that means it arrives in the equine stomach undamaged, whereas human stuff is not.

druid

Visit site
Misoprostol has been shown to be more effective in at least one study than omeprazole or a combo sucralfate/omeprazole treatment.

Worth investigating

Link to study

Melody Grey

Visit site
My pony had 6 injections in his rump. He was also given sucralfate.
The first, which was done after scoping, cost £250. This was fine as he was still dozy.
The last 5 I took the pony to another vets.
The next 3, £170.
The last 2 were 1/2 doses and were cheaper.
The second and 5th injections were done by the same vet and were obviously painful.
The other 3 done by another vet. The pony didn’t even notice.
He is progressing well and shows no sign of ulcers or memory of the injections.

Re the use of human omeprazole, I thought, although stand to be corrected, that Gastroguard has an additive that means it arrives in the equine stomach undamaged, whereas human stuff is not.
I think you might be referring to enteric coating which allows drugs to pass through the stomach to the hindgut unmetabolised? To my knowledge (happy to be corrected!) omeprazole needs to be metabolised in the stomach where it acts at the stomach lining.

Meredith

Visit site

Melody Grey

Visit site

Meredith

Visit site
Great- thanks for posting this. I was wrong ?‍♀️ Above re: metabolism of omeprazole in the stomach, it does need to pass into the small intestine, hence the need for enteric coating. I stand firmly corrected, thanks for pointing this out.

No firmness intended.?
I had to look it up again to make sure I had remembered correctly.

SO1

Visit site
How does it work with the injection if the drug needs to get into the stomach?

My pony is going to have the injection and sucralfate paste.

If the paste has to be going into an empty stomach and it takes 12 hours of starvation how does that work?