OMflippingG! Micklem - I can't believe it!!

gryff

Visit site
I have been looking online and someone is selling cheaper versions of the micklem on ebay. Anyone bought one of these? Are they exactly the same or better to pay the full price? They look the same but that doesn't mean anything.

I've been wondering about these too, so would be interested in others' opinions. EBay feedback is great.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have a Micklem bridle for each of my ridden horses (4). I really believe they make a difference, to me the design makes such sense. I bought my first multi bridle because I wanted the nose ring feature to use for inhand straightness work and it was so appropriate and useful I gradually got one for each of my others. I have also bought a 'copy' which cost £65 and that is lovely leather and made in Germany. I have yet to try it.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've been wondering about these too, so would be interested in others' opinions. EBay feedback is great.

I can't see a link to the eBay ones but I bought one from eBay a couple of years ago described as micklem but very carefully hidden was the fact it was another 'brand'. Put next to my original micklem there were a lot of differences in shape and structure although if they hadn't been side by side I might not have noticed. Sizing was way off as well. Obviously don't know if the ones being mentioned are the same.

Crackerz

Visit site
I have read about this bridle breaking bad habits and have been tempted - do they go small enough for a 13.2hh pony? Do they all come with bit clips? (As i think this would be key to helping)

old hand

Visit site
The Micklem will fit a draught or shire buy large horse and replace the browband with a larger one. They are very adjustable.

Annagain

Visit site
You've just inspired me to put a post on Facebook asking my friends if anyone has one I could borrow to try. Archie sounds very similar to Ben so hoping it has the same effect! He has a huge head though. He's a 16.3 IDx and has an extra full bridle with cob cheek pieces (he's a freak) so hoping it will fit!

Embo

Visit site
English Leather version is on some sites already, Micklem hire have it (can't remember how much) and Total Horse @ £229.95 (but they do give you a 10% off code when you enter the site).

My main concern is fit as B has an odd shaped head!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
The Micklem will fit a draught or shire buy large horse and replace the browband with a larger one. They are very adjustable.

It's not the browband that is the issue with sizing, it's the length of the jaw and chin strap. I bought one for my suffolk punch x and the large horse would go nowhere near him.

Queenbee

Visit site
My advise would be to NOT try the bit and the bridle in conjunction when you start out try the bridle with his usual bit, and then try the bit with a standard bridle before trying them together otherwise you will not truly know which has the greatest effect. I have also found that bits with a leverage don't have the same level of effect when used in the micklem as the bridle is a lot more stable the pressure is distributed differently.

Good Luck!

That's a very good point, I will try it with his standard bridle then give it a go with his micklem :)

You've just inspired me to put a post on Facebook asking my friends if anyone has one I could borrow to try. Archie sounds very similar to Ben so hoping it has the same effect! He has a huge head though. He's a 16.3 IDx and has an extra full bridle with cob cheek pieces (he's a freak) so hoping it will fit!

Go for it! Hopefully it will fit, I did like the fact that there were plenty of holes in the leather for adjustment, hope it works for your boy :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Maybe its just me and Im not fitting it right but Ive borrowed one twice now for my horse and I found the flash/mouth strap buckle always seemed to dig into the side of their mouth possibly nipping. No mark as such was left but didnt look overly comfy when the whole aim of the bridle I thought was to be more comfy overall.

gryff

Visit site
I saw the English leather versions at the Royal Welsh yesterday and was really impressed with the quality. Think it's now on my to buy list.

Annagain

Visit site
Go for it! Hopefully it will fit, I did like the fact that there were plenty of holes in the leather for adjustment, hope it works for your boy :D

I've got a friend's to borrow and I'm going to give it a go tonight. I'm fully expecting a miracle :D.
I'm a bit worried how I'll get it to fit as he has a hanging cheek and I'm not sure it's designed to go with that, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've got a friend's to borrow and I'm going to give it a go tonight. I'm fully expecting a miracle :D.
I'm a bit worried how I'll get it to fit as he has a hanging cheek and I'm not sure it's designed to go with that, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

I use it with a hanging cheek and it's fine.

oldie48

Visit site
My horse took a few days to settle in it, initially I think it felt a bit strange!

Annagain

Visit site
My horse took a few days to settle in it, initially I think it felt a bit strange!

Oh dear I'm doing dressage on Sunday :(

Only joking. I'm supposed to be taking my other boy but he's been lame and although I think he'll be alright, if he's not I'm going to have to take the thug as it's a team thing and I don't want to let people down (although taking A is as good as not turning up :rolleyes:) I'm really not expecting it to be the panacea for his many issues but if it does any good at all I'll be happy and not just for Sunday. Just got everything crossed M will be ok. Even M not having been ridden for 2 weeks is better than a well prepared A!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
English Leather version is on some sites already, Micklem hire have it (can't remember how much) and Total Horse @ £229.95 (but they do give you a 10% off code when you enter the site).

My main concern is fit as B has an odd shaped head!

Thanks for the heads up. Have you seen it in the flesh? Irritatingly the photo on total horse appears to be of the same stock image they use for the other ones and no pic on the hire site.

Annagain

Visit site
Well it wasn't quite a miracle but he's definitely a lot better in it, not leaning so much in front and not fighting me. He's still crossing his jaw a bit but nowhere near as much as he was. The even better news in M is sound so I don't have to take him to dressage tomorrow and I can just get him used to it a bit more.