Omg 18.3!!!

Sammy1983

Visit site
Ok slightly pointless post but I had to tell someone I was flabbergasted. I've owned my boy 6 months and he was 18.1 when I bought him so was always big. I've been ill recently so a friend has been taking care of him for me for a few weeks, I went up to do him when I was feeling better and straight away it got the distinct feeling he looked bigger. Asked my yard owner does he look bigger to you, reply as normal he's always big. Not convinced I got the measure out and he's now 18.3hh and he's only 5! Obviously he was growing over the entire 6 months but when I was seeing him daily I didn't notice. So does anyone have any suggestions to stunt his growth lol luckily I like them big but 2 inches in 6 months that's mad. Also when I rode him wow couldn't feel the difference he suddenly feels very balanced and powerful whereas before he was very uncoordinated and wobbly so I assume that was down to the growth spurt. As I said no real reason for this post so chocolate brownies for anyone who made it this far :)

Embo

Visit site
Wow... what a big boy! I hope you have long legs lol

Just out of curiosity, what's his breeding?

Sleipnir

Visit site
Being THAT big, I presume he's going to grow more even up to the age of 8-9, as many of the larger breeds do. ;)

_GG_

Visit site
This thread is useless without pics :)

That really is big, especially for that breeding. Bet he's gorgeous...I am rather jealous :)

ridefast

Visit site
If he's only 5, he may have another few inches to go! I've heard gypsies used to give horses rum to stunt their growth, I don't know if there's any truth in that. It's probably a bit late for yours anyway :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The secret is out, Sammy has obviously never mucked him out and all that goodness has made him grow !

I had an RID that was 18.1h. Lovely horse but a nightmare to buy rugs for, hunt in woodland, get through hunting gates, needed a mortgage to feed it, farrier cost a fortune, always had to watch the going/surfaces, went lame frequently and needed a tie back. I love big horses but they come with problems.

Lolo

Visit site
On the yard my sister manages there's a horse we say is 18.3hh. This is because no one wants to put a stick to him to determine exactly how big he is... But he completely dwarfs Al's TB who is spot on 17.1hh. He's bright chestnut with 4 knee height white socks and a big white blaze, and you can see him from miles away!

He's 20 now, coming up 21, and has hunted every season since he was 6. He was a master's horse for a lot of that and did 3 days a week in Leicestershire with a 15 stone man on board for the majority of his life. He is the epitome of a gentle giant, I can hack him out safely (and at 5'1 I am very much too small!) and anyone can care for him. He does do pretty much what he wants now, but he's still hunting, still sound and still absolutely perfect. His wind is a bit dodgy but now enough to demand any extra attention- he just makes a noise in fast work. The vet is happy with him anyway!

Hope your boy gives as much enjoyment and happiness as this giant has :)

_GG_

Visit site
On the yard my sister manages there's a horse we say is 18.3hh. This is because no one wants to put a stick to him to determine exactly how big he is... But he completely dwarfs Al's TB who is spot on 17.1hh. He's bright chestnut with 4 knee height white socks and a big white blaze, and you can see him from miles away!

He's 20 now, coming up 21, and has hunted every season since he was 6. He was a master's horse for a lot of that and did 3 days a week in Leicestershire with a 15 stone man on board for the majority of his life. He is the epitome of a gentle giant, I can hack him out safely (and at 5'1 I am very much too small!) and anyone can care for him. He does do pretty much what he wants now, but he's still hunting, still sound and still absolutely perfect. His wind is a bit dodgy but now enough to demand any extra attention- he just makes a noise in fast work. The vet is happy with him anyway!

Hope your boy gives as much enjoyment and happiness as this giant has :)

What a lovely post....and again, any pics? Sounds very handsome :)

Lolo

Visit site
550634_3762177652541_370460799_n.jpg

This is him clipped out for hunting, after a fittening hack. While for the nervy riders he's lovely, when my sister hacks him (she does his fittening work) 90% of the time they go on the hack of his choosing at the speed of his choosing. Al discovered some lovely hacks this way :D

This photo was taken from a 1m high up ledge, hence why he doesn't look overly huge. And he's in his scruffy tack- when he hunts he looks the business in posh stuff!

And some on this thread from a beach trip...
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?630484-Let-s-go-to-the-beach!-Ex-racer-fun-D

Sammy1983

Visit site
AA you've got me that's exactly what I did :p I don't have any pictures of him since he had the growth spurt but will get some for you tomorrow. He is gorgeous and I'm really looking forward to our future together his dam and grand dam evented with Helen west at bleinham, burghley and chatsworth so I had hoped he'd event but now think his legs might be to long lol but luckily his movement is fab so he should pure dressage as well

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I ended up buying a new lorry when my lad found it impossible to turn around when he loaded into the ford cargo. Cost me a fortune, bless him.

Sammy1983

Visit site
Luckily Burt fits in our lorry but we've had to take the rug rack out as his bum wouldn't fit under it. It has taken me 6 months to find him a set of travel boots long enough though. Up until now he's had travel boots and 4 over reach boots

flipthelid

Visit site
Can't work out how to quote on phone, but Lolo, what is the name of that horse? He is identical to one I used to look after that was hunted with the Quorn by one of the field masters and was kept at the yard I worked at!

wyrdsister

Visit site
Oh I feel so much better about my youngster now (17.1 and still going)! Handsome chap you've got there - and if you do figure out how to shrink him please share your tips, I'd love mine to stop *before* she makes the height of yours!!!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh no no no this wont do ... Clearly he isn't right for you ... what's that you say? oh yes he is perfect for me :D

Can I send a stamped address envelope for him please? :p Cant wait to see what he looks like at 10 ... with me *ahem* :eek: