OMG! 19.1hh Irish hunter!

amandathepanda

Visit site
i thought my 17.1 warmblood was big
shocked.gif

Starbucks

Visit site
Humm, I wouldn't if I were you... just think how much it will eat and poo for a start!!
tongue.gif

Do you need a huge horse like that?

gembob

Visit site
noo idnt but im lookin around 17hh anyway and this one is very local and really well behaved apparently its 19.1 at withers but at ack its 18.2 like that makes sooo much diff lol! im gonna go look not too sure if it will fit in barn let alone stable lol!

kerilli

Visit site
yes, i've got a huuuge horse.
to be brutally honest, they aren't as sound, they usually have a huge body on legs designed for a 17hander... mine does, certainly. they often have wind problems too. the good thing is that they make the fences look very small... but they can be very unhandy at getting their legs out of the way, shortening their stride.
i was told years ago that the ideal horse is either a small one who rides big, or a big one who rides small. a massive one who rides massive is not great, to be horribly honest.

showjump2003

Visit site
My dad always says to me (jokingly I hope) "If you keep eating cakes and chocolate you will need a bigger horse". With a 19.1hh I could eat the entire bakery and still not worry haha

minmax

Visit site
Oh wow, My boy is 17.2hh I think but everyone else thinks hes bigger. I would think about the joints on it, big neds are harder on them and you will need a huge stable, specially made tack and rugs etc.
Then again if you really want him, go ahead.
smile.gif

Booboos

Visit site
You'll have trouble fitting him in standard stables (especially though the height of the door) and with transport which is usually built for up to 17.3hh. Could be an expenssive horse if you always have to accommodate his size!

jewel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
lol, a bit of difference between 17 hands and 19.1!!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] agree a huge amount IMO

Baydale

Visit site
I've got one, I think he's 17.3hh but our measuring stick only goes up to 17.2! He's only just 6 but is a really easy horse to deal with, doesn't use his strength against you and rides like a much smaller horse because he's narrow (I'm only 5'6") and has quite a round stride. He reminds me of a Great Dane Puppy.
tongue.gif

gembob

Visit site
i know and se says that a young lass has had him on loan for a yr without any probs now shes brought him back thru no fault of his and owner has nowhere for him!

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm with Kerilli on this one. I have a 17hh-ish horse who rides small and a 16hh-ish who rides big. Built a correctly strided combo (corner to skinny on 3 curving strides) for them last night and the 16hh found it a bit tight whilst the 17hh really needed moving on to get the distance. Admittedly the larger horse is older and more experienced and therefore more collected and on his hocks, but even so I think that's the right way round for them.

JessDoesItBetter

Visit site
I have a 17.1 trekhener and a 17.3 dutch wb (and a lil 14.2 cob x ISH but thats besides the point!) and they are both entirely different. My trekhener - aside from her massive stride- is as nimble, agile and athletic as any 15.2, and my dutch horse although short striding feels big and although he is athletic and agile (or else i wouldn't have him!) he isn't too nimble or supple and it has taken a lot of flat work to get him feeling as managable as any other horse.
Go and see him as anyother horse you will view, and don't (at first) be too consumed with his size, at the same time don't make any alowences for his size either. You might get there and find that he rides like any other horse you have sat on. If you really like him enough to consider buying him, it would be time to look at the practicalitys (is your trailer/lorry big enough etc) you never know, he may be the perfect horse or you.
as for joints, strein etc, i personaly think this is the luck of the draw. I have had two horses suffer from arthritus, one was 15.2 and the other was 16hh both young (10-12), fit and had v.good conformation, yet my two big buggers are sound as a pound and never had a days lameness in their lives! It's just the way it goes, some apparently fine horses can end up crippled and other les likely ones go on forever in a day...

Kenzo

Visit site
Someone I know has an 18.1, he is a beautiful gentle and very well behaved horse and if they have good all round confirmation then there no more likly to suffer from problems than any other size of horse. Having said that....I wouldn't like to fall off it, but then again you can hurt yourself just as much falling of a pony, all depends on how you fall. Don't knock him/her if its the horse is a good sort, however do consider how you intend to transport the horse about if your going to go hunting and yes....a slightly bigger stable my be on the cards.

Hope its nice, good luck!
grin.gif

Enfys

Visit site
shocked.gif
I need to stand on something to get a saddle on anything over 16h, I would need a crane to get a rug over something that big!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with him, and how you did indeed get on him too!!!!!!!!
wink.gif
Could be the horse of your dreams, just bigger!

kerilli

Visit site
stand back and look at him really critically... is he totally in proportion, or do his legs look as if they belong to a normal-sized horse (as my big lad's do) while his body is oversized on top of them... if so, chances are that he'll be more prone to injuries etc. this is SO important. tendons damage so easily, and if they're overloaded from the start, you are always up against it.
when my superdooper vet saw my big horse (he didn't vet him, was on hols at the time) he immediately said "well, he was NEVER going to stand up to eventing, was he?"
frown.gif
frown.gif

i forgot about the big rugs/stable/lorry thing - my lad's in 7' rugs, in a 15'x15' stable, and takes up most of a 3-horse lorry... he's incredibly long and has to have the whole diagonal.

moodymare1987

Visit site
I personally wouldnt have anything bigger than 18hh, as trouble with stables, transport, pressure on legs, There are loads to consider, My boy is 18hh but I feel he rides smaller but he does look expressive kind of in his way of going but I feel anything bigger would be too big, I would struggle with a lot of the things I do if I had a bigger horse,
I would have an 18hh horse again if my boy is anything to go by but I would feel 19.1 is too big.

lilpinkso

Visit site
Is there a shortage of huge horses? I am tall so I would love a big horse, I can usually clap my feet together under the bellies of my horses
tongue.gif

hallarider

Visit site
My boy is 18hh and his brother is 17.3 both have wonderful temperaments. I do admit stables have to be big, they eat and poo lots. good for the rug sales though. Its always the big sizes left so you get a bargain!!