Omg cjd Pumpkin has been sold

SOS

Visit site
Reading between the lines of the post it was an offer she couldn’t refuse in order to keep progressing in the sport and was definitely a lesser evil than selling to another nation/competitor that may then lead to Pumpkin appearing at the Olympics!

Sad as they were so ‘almost’ perfect at the Olympics it would of been great to see their progress in a few years, mainly as I don’t really watch dressage bar the Olympics.

As for the family buying him I saw a comment that the sister has just had one of Michael Jungs horses too. I’m just envious - money doesn’t buy talent but it can be disheartening to see.

Lexi_

Visit site
I gasped when I saw it on Insta. Good luck to everyone involved though! There are some offers it must be impossible to turn down.

Cragrat

Visit site
I often wonder what she does with her other horses, they can't all be at Carl's surely?!?

There's Hawtins San floriana, the two river rise horses nisa and escarla, florentina, msj charmer, alive & kicking, plus all the new ones kismet, monet etc. I still wonder what happened to msj smartini as well.

Whatever happened to MSJ Freestyle? One minute all ready to go the Olympics, next minute not fit enough? And not heard of her since - is she a broodmare now?

Squeak

Visit site
Thinking it through, it's a huge amount of pressure on the young rider. Pumpkin has already won bronze at the olympics - bar injury, she has zero excuses.

I have to say this was my thought too. A huge amount of pressure for a 16 year old.

I really hope it works out for her and she enjoys Pumpkin.

I am definitely another who is very jealous though!

Auslander

Visit site
I get the green eyes, I really do - but this isn't an average 16yr old who has stamped her foot and demanded a GP horse. She's on the Junior GB team, and is a very very talented rider. I think it's fairly safe to assume that she is on track for the Senior team when she's older. Yes her family has money, so buying the nice horses is achievable for them, but you can't buy talent and drive and ambition - all of which this kid has in spades.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
God Lord, I would not like to be that girl! Can you imagine the pressure? I'm actually kind of hoping she really is a spoilt brat type, so that she can enjoy lording it over her "friends", but for the vast, vast majority of teenagers, this would not be a positive thing.

(or I hope that maybe she's also got a really fun pony as well)

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I get the green eyes, I really do - but this isn't an average 16yr old who has stamped her foot and demanded a GP horse. She's on the Junior GB team, and is a very very talented rider. I think it's fairly safe to assume that she is on track for the Senior team when she's older. Yes her family has money, so buying the nice horses is achievable for them, but you can't buy talent and drive and ambition - all of which this kid has in spades.
OK, I didn't know anything about her! So if she's this talented and driven, and her parents have the money, then fair enough. I still hope it's not too much pressure on very young shoulders though.

Auslander

Visit site
OK, I didn't know anything about her! So if she's this talented and driven, and her parents have the money, then fair enough. I still hope it's not too much pressure on very young shoulders though.
It's not her first rodeo -she's got some lovely horses already, and she's been competing a long time. Her family is local to me, and a friend has worked for the family a long time - she's very well supported, both at home, and by British Dressage, so I think she'll be fine

meleeka

Visit site

She will have had many opportunities that other talented riders with ambition haven’t had though, the regular lessons with top riders and her pick of talented horses.

She’s just got top marks in her GCSE’s too so obviously a very driven young person.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm actually quite excited by this news. Charlotte is brilliant, but she has lots of fantastic rides and will be wonderful to watch at the top with another. Whereas this girl is a new adult talent for the future, who seems exceptionally placed in terms of ability, experience, training and now horse power to be a really exciting watch in a couple of years.

Really hope she's as cool a customer as she seems and is able to make the most of the opportunity a horse like pumpkin brings without the pressure getting to her.

Auslander

Visit site
She will have had many opportunities that other talented riders with ambition haven’t had though, the regular lessons with top riders and her pick of talented horses..

Oh absolutely! I'm not disputing that. I guess I feel a bit sorry for her that many of the responses to the news (everywhere - not just on here!) focus on how rich and well connected she is, rather than how hard she has worked to be at the stage she's at at a very young age.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

I don't think anyone is implying that and I wouldn't ever try and dispute the fact that she is a great worker with talent in spades, however to try and downplay the advantages she has been given would be very short sighted. Most average riders could be made into great ones with a yard & excellent facilities in their back garden, great tuition from the top riders, access to all the tools/events & horses you could ever want for etc etc - not to mention not having to try and figure out whether you can hack to the local show 5.5 miles away or whether you can beg a lift in the local farmers cattle trailer, or working all of Saturday and Sunday just to be given an hours lesson on the stubborn naughty pony at the local riding school :p

Best of luck to her and Pumpkin, I also had a look at her Instagram and she looks like a wonderful young lady! I'm sure we'll see her competing in something on one of the main TV channels soon enough.

Parrotperson

Visit site
yeh I think CDJ has the choice of several horses for Paris so not a huge surprise really.

MSJ Freestyle is being aimed at the World Cup isn't she? So by Paris she might well come into play if Carl takes over Imhotep.......

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Oh absolutely! I'm not disputing that. I guess I feel a bit sorry for her that many of the responses to the news (everywhere - not just on here!) focus on how rich and well connected she is, rather than how hard she has worked to be at the stage she's at at a very young age.
I guess this is pretty much what I meant. Being "too privileged" can be very lonely, and people are not very kind (strangers online, but also quite possibly school friends etc)

Full disclosure: my day job is teaching very wealthy kids (boarding school) so my default position is to feel very protective towards a teenager in this position. Especially a very clever, highly driven girl- these kids can really struggle with self esteem, and a constant need to prove themselves, but nothing they do is ever actually quite "good enough". That's not me trying to attack the girl or her parents at all, just acknowledging that it's never as simple as rich = easy life.

Bernster

Visit site
Just did a quick google - her dad’s wealth seems to have come from his own company. He’s from working class roots, adopted as a kid, worked his way up and founded his own company which is now very successful (house builder). Which seems like a classic rags to riches story and his family gets to enjoy some of that. If that’s the case, good for them I say!

jnb

Visit site
Does anyone know what the issue was with Freestyle? I must admit I was very surprised when it was announced that Charlotte was riding Pumpkin. Freestyle looked to have have a splint I noticed in one comp I watched, wonder if so is it is problematic?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

This in spades. I was quite surprised to see the news but I wish this young lady the very best of luck with him.
Personally though, I don't understand the green eyes, I'd be TERRIFIED to own a horse of this calibre...I'll stick to my mediocre neddies I think (sorry Rex snd Rockstar lol)

LegOn

Visit site
When horses are you business, unfortunately the reality is usually everything is for sale - how else is it a business? And she probably does want to start her own yard or build a house at the least!

As riders, its usually rare for the horses to be their own, they usually belong to owners so the only way to make pure profit is to be an owner yourself and unfortunately then that means selling on. The SJers seem to do this well, everything is for sale and they usually have a percentage ownership of each horse so the sales benefit them more financially - then they buy/breed horses specifically to sell on to bring on their business.

I think its great that young riders are getting horses of this quality - how else will the next generation a chance to perform on the world stage!