Omg cjd Pumpkin has been sold

meleeka

Visit site
When horses are you business, unfortunately the reality is usually everything is for sale - how else is it a business? And she probably does want to start her own yard or build a house at the least!

As riders, its usually rare for the horses to be their own, they usually belong to owners so the only way to make pure profit is to be an owner yourself and unfortunately then that means selling on. The SJers seem to do this well, everything is for sale and they usually have a percentage ownership of each horse so the sales benefit them more financially - then they buy/breed horses specifically to sell on to bring on their business.

I think its great that young riders are getting horses of this quality - how else will the next generation a chance to perform on the world stage!
And what a fabulous shop window the Olympics was for Pumpkin!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Selling horses is something a dressage pro has to do .
It’s worth remembering that Charlotte did not own the whole of GIO and she will pay tax on her share unless she rolls the money over into her business .
Charlotte sold the horse she first produced and bought a cottage and I think Carl pushed her to do that .
Carl funded the start of his own yard by selling Peanuts to Europe and it was lovely that he had him back as a retired horse which was a lovely thing .

sz90168

Visit site
Rumour has it he sold for 5 million. I am not surprised it was a offer she could not refuse as she has other upcoming rides.

SO1

Visit site
Wow that is a good price. I hope the young lady enjoys the ride, it is sometimes hard for those of us for whom money is not so freely available to appreciate that money, beauty and youth whilst they may might make life easier do not always guarantee happiness. The older I get the more I realise health for myself, family and pets is the most important thing in life.

Charlotte is a professional rider and has to make a living from her riding and equine business in the same way that most of us have to do from our jobs. Horses are not a hobby for her and as much as she may adore her horses they are not pets they are income generators.

Pumpkins new owner sounds like she does have the funds to keep him as a pet and not as an investment. Hopefully this will mean he will have great home with her.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She should have said he was up for sale - I've got a spare stable and I like chestnuts :p
And I have a empty
stable .

How cruel of you both to think of stabling him! He has, of course, to come to me and live in my barn as part of the herd as horses are intended to live.

jnb

Visit site
I really hope it WAS a life changing amount (I think it must have been for Charlotte to part with him however I see where some people say he didn't quite have the "mega-wow" factor like Valegro for instance - MSJ Freestyle has it)
£5 million though...Wow! I bloody hope so.

jnb

Visit site
How cruel of you both to think of stabling him! He has, of course, to come to me and live in my barn as part of the herd as horses are intended to live.
I've got a field also. And, a bog trotter spoilt cob to keep him company :)

NinjaPony

Visit site
I think to an extent the professionals just have to ignore the price tag attached or they wouldn’t be able to do their job properly. I do agree that producing it from the start must feel very different to spend £5m on the purchase outright. At the end of the day it’s still a horse and it has no idea how much it’s worth, but I too think I’d find it difficult to not go mad with worry! The insurance premium must be huge.
It’s a huge testament to CDJ and CH’s training that she could buy a horse as a youngster, win a medal and create that kind of demand for her horse.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
im just pleased he is staying here and not been sold to someone abroad. i felt he could have been as good as valegro, he has the same type of action and is young to have been good enough to be placed at the olympics.. he just needs to get a bigger trot, which is getting better already and fine tune the rest. i think charlotte is going to coach her so im really excited to see her out in competition. what a lucky girl, but what pressure for a teenager...hope she enjoys him..

blitznbobs

Visit site
5 million for a gelding is not a sound investment in my book— what if it breaks tomorrow in the field? At least a stallion or a mare has a shot at making you some cash back - so i hope its 5 mill that they have to blow… cos theyve kind of put it all on black (or should i say red)

meleeka

Visit site
5 million for a gelding is not a sound investment in my book— what if it breaks tomorrow in the field? At least a stallion or a mare has a shot at making you some cash back - so i hope its 5 mill that they have to blow… cos theyve kind of put it all on black (or should i say red)
Is anything in the horse world really a sound investment? ?. Nearly all horses break eventually after all. They are all money pits to some degree, who’ll never earn as much as they cost, especially in the world of dressage.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Is anything in the horse world really a sound investment? ?. Nearly all horses break eventually after all. They are all money pits to some degree, who’ll never earn as much as they cost, especially in the world of dressage.

A good stallion can earn his living — and i have had super mares that have made me more than i spent on them - i guess i like to have a back up plan if it goes bum up (i also have a field full of broken ponies that i am keeping long past their useful date ?) and pumpkin has sure made CJD some cash - i dont begrudge her it — shes earned every penny but its not true that horses are always money pits

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

You could clone and reproduce

LegOn

Visit site

Its a nice problem to have though right - what will I do this spare €5m! :p I think its more than the horse though, Pumpkin by himself is valuable I'm sure, but you are buying a horse that has been produced already to the highest quality by one of the best riders in the world - that is what they are paying for! I'm sure they could have bought that girl any horse she wanted, but they also probably wanted a high profile horse too - who isnt going to select the Olympic horse for teams and get her that extra leg up (pun intended) in the horsey world!

Its very much each to their your own - when you have €5m, buy the stallion & a mare, sure why not! This family is obviously more focused on their daughters ambition and nothing wrong with that if you have the money to do it!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site

The simple answer is that they don’t need this to be an investment - they have all the money they need!

SO1

Visit site
Most people don't buy as financial investment but ride for fun rather than business reasons. The difference between her is her budget for her hobby is a lot more than most peoples. At 16 and being still in education this is going to be her hobby and I hope she enjoys it.

Not every buys as a financial investment . If she can afford it which they obviously easily can it’s a massive life investment well worth it in my book .