Omg cjd Pumpkin has been sold

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
we will never know how much they have paid for him, but i doubt it was 5 million, maybe 1million as he is a gelding so cant earn megga bucks by producing babies

scats

Visit site
People don’t get to have 5 million to spend on a horse without having a business brain

I don't always think business brain comes into it with top level sport. They are paying for the opportunity of a lifetime to potentially get them to the next stage of their career. That's the investment.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I don't always think business brain comes into it with top level sport. They are paying for the opportunity of a lifetime to potentially get them to the next stage of their career. That's the investment.
Yes i agree but I really hope it is pocket change for them and they haven’t put all their eggs in one basket … I’m not saying they shouldn’t have done it but just saying if I was shopping in the same situation idve bought a mare or stallion…

Flyermc

Visit site

They havent just bought the horse, they have bought a horse and a whole lot of publicity, which might not be a bad investment if the girl wants to make it to the top :)

meleeka

Visit site
I’m sure a gelding with a whole lot of publicity was just perfect. Why buy a stallion with less experience? It’s not as if she needs the money and it doesn’t seem like she wants to bring a youngster up through the levels (she has two horses trained by Catherine Dufour too). Life must be very different when you don’t have to balance the books and your ambition is the important thing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
was that SJ ? theres much more prize money for SJ ..just looked at his previous results he hasnt got much prize money , not very impressive so another one which is very surprising to me. perhaps if you have got unlimited funds and you really want something its no big deal...

fetlock

Visit site
How many here bought your horse as an investment?

I certainly haven't.
But generally speaking, it depends what you personally consider to be an investment isn't it. It doesn't always have to be investment for financial gain. Buying experience, to gain experience in order to grow is a valid investment. In that instance they're investing in themselves.

This family (and certainly Athena too) don't need prize money, and don't need any sort of financial return at all. A few million is a drop in the ocean to them. If I had a few hundred million and a very talented an driven child, I'd shell out the money. Nowhere in the same league price wise, but plenty of parents have shelled out six figure sums for top competition ponies capable of making the Euros teams/getting a medal over the years.

Escapade

Visit site
was that SJ ? theres much more prize money for SJ ..just looked at his previous results he hasnt got much prize money , not very impressive so another one which is very surprising to me. perhaps if you have got unlimited funds and you really want something its no big deal...
The horse wasn’t bought to win GP.

lannerch

Visit site
I certainly haven't.
But generally speaking, it depends what you personally consider to be an investment isn't it. It doesn't always have to be investment for financial gain. Buying experience, to gain experience in order to grow is a valid investment. In that instance they're investing in themselves.

This family (and certainly Athena too) don't need prize money, and don't need any sort of financial return at all. A few million is a drop in the ocean to them. If I had a few hundred million and a very talented an driven child, I'd shell out the money. Nowhere in the same league price wise, but plenty of parents have shelled out six figure sums for top competition ponies capable of making the Euros teams/getting a medal over the years.
Exactly

meleeka

Visit site
The British love a trier, a rags to riches story. The idea that someone can buy their way to success doesn’t fit it with that ideal. I think that’s why some people are so angry about it.

SO1

Visit site
I think it is jealousy. She is pretty, young and wealthy.

Whoever bought that horse would need to be wealthy.

Who are people angry with it is not young girls fault that her mother bought her the horse. CDJ is running a business and needs an income.

The British love a trier, a rags to riches story. The idea that someone can buy their way to success doesn’t fit it with that ideal. I think that’s why some people are so angry about it.

Peglo

Visit site
My horses were an investment but for my happiness only. A solid investment for me even though they turn all my money into ?

If you’ve got the money you might as well spend it. You can’t take it with you. I hope the lassie has the best time with her new horse.

I find the hatred of the rich really odd. People seem to think they should be punished for having money. I mean I would love to have millions in the bank but I’m also very happy in my little life as it is so I don’t begrudge others for wealth, talent and success.

[153312]

Visit site
My horses were an investment but for my happiness only. A solid investment for me even though they turn all my money into ?

If you’ve got the money you might as well spend it. You can’t take it with you. I hope the lassie has the best time with her new horse.

I find the hatred of the rich really odd. People seem to think they should be punished for having money. I mean I would love to have millions in the bank but I’m also very happy in my little life as it is so I don’t begrudge others for wealth, talent and success.

I don't think people do hate the rich per se - I know I don't.
What I do hate is the system that MAKES few very very rich whilst other people starve/suffer due to lack of money (contrast these parents spending £5 million on a horse for their daughter with the Afghanistani parents having to sell their daughter for £500 so they can eat for a short time; neither are less deserving of safety or happiness than the other, you could argue their incredible good luck/bad is just due to where they live.)

Winters100

Visit site
There are some very angry comments on the FB post, calling it bad sportsmanship to buy her way to success.

Yes, and this is strange to me, as most people to some extent buy our way to success with horses. Does not matter whether it is buying a great little schoolmaster/mistress for your child to do well at pony club, investing in lessons to be able to do well at RC level, or just being able to afford to keep horses so we ride more frequently than others. As in every walk of life there will be some with more than us and some with less, but should not stop us from wishing them well whatever their situation.