Omg cjd Pumpkin has been sold

ihatework

Visit site
How many here have spent multiple millions on anything?

Come on. It’s all relative.
A lot of us in here have spent a huge % of our disposable money on a horse. Some of us will have spent all of our disposable, even if that’s 2/5/10/20k. I’d wager this family hasn’t spent (as a %) any more than the rest of us.

scats

Visit site
Come on. It’s all relative.
A lot of us in here have spent a huge % of our disposable money on a horse. Some of us will have spent all of our disposable, even if that’s 2/5/10/20k. I’d wager this family hasn’t spent (as a %) any more than the rest of us.

Exactly. The family in question are seriously rich. I believe the Dad was worth something around 335million.

I added to a an existing bank loan to buy Millie. She was £2.5k but I couldn’t afford that as I didn’t have any savings. If you think of that in terms of percentage of how much overall money I had, one could argue that it was a bad financial decision.
She was worth every single penny.

eahotson

Visit site
Well if I had the money and a daughter/son grand daughter or grandson who was hard working, talented and ambitious I would buy them a horse like Pumpkin.It may be a bit unfair on those who have to try and make their own but then life is often unfair,The pressure on her will be great.Let her make a mistake and then there will be no shortage of people to laugh at her behind her back, sadly.

eahotson

Visit site
Yes, and this is strange to me, as most people to some extent buy our way to success with horses. Does not matter whether it is buying a great little schoolmaster/mistress for your child to do well at pony club, investing in lessons to be able to do well at RC level, or just being able to afford to keep horses so we ride more frequently than others. As in every walk of life there will be some with more than us and some with less, but should not stop us from wishing them well whatever their situation.
Well said.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think it's a very sad thing to be angry about something like this - maybe if some people focused that energy into making the most of what they have then they would be happier in general. Trying to bring down someone else won't put you in a better situation, and at the end of the day aren't 99% of people in horse ownership for fun? The fact she has bought a £5m+ horse that will help her progress through the levels at Inter 1+ bears no affect whatsoever on Sally, who rides her Heinz 57 around a Prelim 2x a month, so why she feels the need to sl*g off a child on social media I don't know. (No judgement in my example, I just went for an average horse owner).

Comparison is the thief of joy - my favourite saying, true in every circumstance.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Yes, and this is strange to me, as most people to some extent buy our way to success with horses. Does not matter whether it is buying a great little schoolmaster/mistress for your child to do well at pony club, investing in lessons to be able to do well at RC level, or just being able to afford to keep horses so we ride more frequently than others. As in every walk of life there will be some with more than us and some with less, but should not stop us from wishing them well whatever their situation.

Totally this. My daughter's RI sources potential FEI ponies for kids and then trains the pairings. Very nice to have 6 figures in your pockett to spend! And it excludes lots of kids from PTs because you need so much pony power. This is on a different scale but is no different to that really. And the same is seen at every level. We could not event if we did not have a decent pony. We bought young but Dolly was still 4K back when 4K was a lot for a 4 yo pony! And some people are on 1K ponies and some are on £1/free ponies and some don't have a pony at all. Also Dolly beat a PT pony at Champs which was nice....

My friend's daughter is talented but they haven't the money to buy made horses. She loaned a 13.2 from the field, took it to BE80 then was paid by the owners to compete her a season at BE90. She used that to buy and back a 3 yo to sell on to buy an eventer for next season or the season after. And she gets the ride on plenty of other people's as she is small, talented and adds value by doing well on them.

There is no point being jealous. Wherever anyone is there are people far, far better off and far, far worse off than them. I try to be grateful for what we do have and work bloody hard to do the best we can with what opportunities we have.

Equi

Visit site
I think you’re all looking at a likely Olympic rider there.
Yes they have the money but it still takes talent, drive and dedication.
This is how I feel. Yes we love the underdogs in this nation but all the money in the world can’t make a natural rider. I could have pumpkin and Charlotte train me for years and I still would never be able to compete. It’s not annabellas fault she was born into money. She could have gone down the route of being a vapid it girl but she chose ponies, just like we all did. Good luck to her I say, I hope she does reach the top. With mentors like Charlotte she will hopfully become another good advocate for horse sports which frankly is rapidly declining.

Last edited:

greenbean10

Visit site
A woman at my yard has just bought an expensive schoolmaster and I’m hearing the same sort of comments in the tack room.

Buy a young horse (as I did) and you get nasty comments saying you’re going to ruin it. Buy a nice easy schoolmaster and you get nasty comments saying any success you have is due to the horse.

I know it’s not exactly the same but I find it very depressing.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I don't get all the comments - its not like British people have not spent serious money on horses in dressage but it passes without comment - Fiona Bigwood happily spends 6-7 figures on a horse. Carl sold Del and none of this bitchiness came with it. Mistral Hojris was NOT a a cheap horse when he was purchased for Laura B. They also paid a lot of money for Capri Sonne Jr. Michael Eilberg had the ride on the auction horse which cost his owner £2 million but had the normal auction horse problems so has done nothing. At least Gio has proven himself.

There is SERIOUS money in horses and I have written an article for E-Venting that privilege in horses comes in many forms. Sometimes its money, sometimes and mostly its in parental commitment. Fiona Bigwood, Laura B and Emma Hindle are incredibly wealthy individuals but don't seem to get this kind of rubbish with it.

SO1

Visit site
I think the negative comments are jealousy and actually it is ok to feel jealous but don't take it out on that person it is not their fault they were born into money and are young and beautiful.

If I were wealthy and had 335 million I would want to use some of that money to make my loved ones lives easier and for them to have happy and enjoyable lives.

It is only natural to want our loved ones to be happy. This young girl has lost her father recently and whilst this horse will not replace that loss it might give her a bit of treat and something to help with the grief.

They also are big supporters of para dressage giving a horse to Sophie Christiansen.

Would I loved to have those opportunities and luxury of course but really taking it out on her is not fair.

I do think it is important that those with inherited wealth are brought up to understand their privileges and how it has come about as luck and recognise how their money helped them on their way. A combination of wealth and arrogance are not very palatable to the rest of the population.

I expect she has no control over how family money is spent but once she is in the position to make her own spending choices she may be able to spare some money to support charities or grassroots dressage with some scholarships or something to help those who are talented but lacking in funds.

I would ask people not to make negative comments about this young girl. It is her mother that has probably made the choices about her daughters riding and horse purchases so if people want to make negative comments then they should be aimed at the mother not the child.

j1ffy

Visit site
I don't get all the comments - its not like British people have not spent serious money on horses in dressage but it passes without comment - Fiona Bigwood happily spends 6-7 figures on a horse. Carl sold Del and none of this bitchiness came with it. Mistral Hojris was NOT a a cheap horse when he was purchased for Laura B. They also paid a lot of money for Capri Sonne Jr. Michael Eilberg had the ride on the auction horse which cost his owner £2 million but had the normal auction horse problems so has done nothing. At least Gio has proven himself.

There is SERIOUS money in horses and I have written an article for E-Venting that privilege in horses comes in many forms. Sometimes its money, sometimes and mostly its in parental commitment. Fiona Bigwood, Laura B and Emma Hindle are incredibly wealthy individuals but don't seem to get this kind of rubbish with it.

Unrelated but I didn't realise you had written the 'privilege' article. I thought it was excellent, and relatable to life in general (not just horses).

mini_b

Visit site
It goes hand in hand with the inverse snobbery around full livery. Apparently you’re only a real horse owner if you get up at 4.30am, do all your jobs wearing your duct taped together boots, before you go to your minimum wage, then eat your can of cold beans for dinner.

sorry this did make me laugh out loud ?

SEL

Visit site
There are some very angry comments on the FB post, calling it bad sportsmanship to buy her way to success.

Missed those.

Tbh buying a horse like Pumpkin is so, so far away from my reality (in both money and talent) that there's really no point in being jealous. And why angry? She's not "forced" Charlotte to give up a ride and the kid still has to prove herself on him.

I have mooched over to Instagram and had a drool over her page though. Is it ok to be jealous of a wood panelled tack room???

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have mooched over to Instagram and had a drool over her page though. Is it ok to be jealous of a wood panelled tack room???

I have just had a look too, gosh she is beautiful isn't she! Totally okay to be jealous of her tack room, me too. I am also quite jealous of her hand position, effortless sitting trot and her horsebox!

Asha

Visit site
ive just made the leap onto instagram just so i can follow her journey and drool over her yard.

She is beautiful, talented and from a hardworking wealthy family. I wish her every success and hope we are seeing the next rising star who cam make it onto Team GB. I cant imagine the journey to the top in any sport is easy, with Carl & Charlottes backing im sure she will do just fine.
Well done to Charlotte, Im sure she will now be set up for life, as she should be.

oldie48

Visit site
It goes hand in hand with the inverse snobbery around full livery. Apparently you’re only a real horse owner if you get up at 4.30am, do all your jobs wearing your duct taped together boots, before you go to your minimum wage, then eat your can of cold beans for dinner.
And if you are doing it with three broken ribs and an arm hanging off or two weeks after a serious operation then you are truly a "horsewoman".

[153312]

Visit site
I actually to see animals cost a lot of money - they end up getting better care. Think about it, you wouldn't find a horse like Pumpkin abandoned in a ditch with a headcollar grown into its face, but you probably would a coloured cob colt bought for £100.

[153312]

Visit site
Not necessarily, there have been quite a few famous and successful horses that have ended up in some real dire straits.
But the numbers of the famous/successful ones that end up in dire straits is far, far smaller than nameless bargain basement beasts, isn't it? The same as you don't see marine fish that cost £100 getting tossed down toilets, but £1 goldfish you do.

tristar

Visit site
Well if I had the money and a daughter/son grand daughter or grandson who was hard working, talented and ambitious I would buy them a horse like Pumpkin.It may be a bit unfair on those who have to try and make their own but then life is often unfair,The pressure on her will be great.Let her make a mistake and then there will be no shortage of people to laugh at her behind her back, sadly.

so true, she has a lot to live up to, its is a lovely horse, very well put together, and im not a warmblood fan normally

good luck girl, you are so lucky to have the chance and however it works out, the experience will be a once in a lifetime chance

greenbean10

Visit site
I actually to see animals cost a lot of money - they end up getting better care. Think about it, you wouldn't find a horse like Pumpkin abandoned in a ditch with a headcollar grown into its face, but you probably would a coloured cob colt bought for £100.

You also probably wouldn’t see Pumpkin living out in a huge field with his friends thought.

The more valuable competition horses I know are kept in a box 24/7 and spend their time out the stable on the walker or being ridden - although I know this isn’t the case for every top horse.

[153312]

Visit site
You also probably wouldn’t see Pumpkin living out in a huge field with his friends thought.

The more valuable competition horses I know are kept in a box 24/7 and spend their time out the stable on the walker or being ridden - although I know this isn’t the case for every top horse.
I know. When things get very expensive there's cons as well: they become commodities target than living things. Which is not good either.

teapot

Visit site

It's well known Carl and Charlotte give their horses proper turn out, belive one of Carl's is out 24/7.

Palindrome

Visit site
I looked up Cathrine Dufour and she is number 2 in the FEI dressage world ranking (Charlotte Dujardin is 3rd), so if this girl already has 2 horses in training with Cathrine Dufour it is just adding to her string and not a huge amount of pressure for her.