OMG did I do this or is it the wow saddle?

zoon

Visit site
When I last rode my horse I noticed after he had a lump that looked like a fly bite right where my leg was. I cleaned it and left it and it had gone down the next day - so assumed I was right about the fly bite. Rode tonight and afterwards in the exact same spot was a red raw spot where the skin had been rubbed off. Only tiny, but it was my leg that had done it! I've had him for 3 years and never had a problem with unstable legs. He's never had a rub there before. And before anyone asks - I don't wear spurs.

He has a WOW saddle and when we had it fitted he was markedly more muscled on one side so the air was uneven to make up for this. He muscled up quickly and we had it altered after about 5 weeks (up a headplate and air completely evened out) A couple of weeks later the headplate went up again, but air was not changed. That was about 4/5 weeks ago. Obviously now my left leg must be unstable, but I also notice that he sometimes goes disunited in canter on the right rein, which he has NEVER done before. Could the air balance in the wow be causing my unstable leg and his disunited canter? It is now compeltely even and at atmospheric pressure.

hadfos

Visit site
Definately...i had huge problems with disunited canter and rubbing sides(normal leather saddle),bought new saddle,and everything coming together now
smile.gif

I would get saddle checked again,then get back person out straight after saddle has been done!

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
Perhaps your saddle needs altering again? I rode a mare who went up 4 saddle widths in the first 8 weeks of being ridden in a wow. Do not underestimate how quickly your horse can change shape.

I also second hadfos to get a back person out, as it may not be the saddle but rather something the horse has done to himself.

hadfos

Visit site
Meant to add...my lad must have put up with alot,as had the saddle that was causing him problems for 4yrs
blush.gif
,he just had enough in the end(i realise i should have had it checked,but he was going ok,only when i started working him more and asking more,his back wouldnt take it any more,and rather than bucking or trying to kill me he disunited instead)proper saddle fitter (master) hated the saddle when he came to look
blush.gif
frown.gif
,big lesson learnt,i will only have a master saddler out to fit in future
smile.gif
,which i am sure you have had,but the way the grass is growing atm,horses are changing shape huge time,even with work
crazy.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So sorry your saddle is causing issues
frown.gif
At least, it certainly sounds like it is. Ditto the others, get a saddler out and then a back person in case the saddle has caused some muscle tweaks.

I'm glad you posted (in a way, if you know what I mean). Just realised, the Dizz's saddle isn't going to fit her now she's fat
grin.gif
. Blast
grin.gif

*wobbles off to call saddler*

zoon

Visit site
Called WOW yesterday morning and they are closed for their summer break! So have to wait until beginning of June. As much as I love the saddle and the wonders it has done for my horse, it's costing a fortune in fittings!