OMG Geograph

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
well, as it stands public footpaths do allow public access, and there is absolutely no law against taking photos of what you can see from the public footpath.

to complain about it is absolutely insane

if you don't want your horses seen, hide them somewhere entirely secure, or put up with the fact that people enjoy seeing horses in our british countryside and would like to take photos of such a pleasant sight!

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Right, I have said it far too many times I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PICTURES BEING UP THERE! Its the captions, most of which are unnecessary that are clucking me off!

I don't give a monkey how many pictures you get from google images, THEY DON'T GIVE LOCATIONS!

chunklovescooks

Visit site
I don't understand how the pictures and captions help create a historic and geographical project on the internet! Why don't we just all take pictures of our houses?, post them on the internet and tell them where the spare key, or which windows are left slightly ajar. Because we don't want to be easy targets!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
my point is that on google maps the program 'panoramia' gives image locations, and on flickr many photos are organised by precise location

this is not 'new'!

the captions may be ignorant, but ultimately they seem harmless to me

sunflower

Visit site
Yes, I have read the article. It doesn't really seem to contain much in the way of news and is mainly conjecture. It is only the opinion of horsewatch that this site is responsible for the spate of people taking photographs of horses, there is no proof of this. The quote from an un-named H&H reader is ludicrous. I have seen far more detail on the websites of various riding schools and livery yeards - including pictures and handy sections on 'how to find us'. As has already been mentioned this is not the only site to show the location of horses etc, google earth and other sites do the same thing, the only difference is the search facility but again, the information this brings up is not exactly difficult to find using other sources.

B_2_B

Visit site
Woah, they have Tommy the shetland a pic from years ago! And the entrance to mossburn, and one of the pigs talking a walk up the road! lol.

Obviously Mossburn is a public place anyway so it's not that concerning, but i wouldn't want my private land, or horses up on the site!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Some very nice pictures of my area, I am going to see if I can buy some copies for the wall. Some folk get hysterical about nothing much.

moomooland

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/915906

These are our shool ponies- BLOODY CHEEK!
And this is our riding school:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/9721

Can you get them to take them off the site at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to take a picture off that has been on the site for over 3 years have you had any problems in all that time?

You have linked even more pictures i did not know exsited talk about paranoia
crazy.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
Completely agree with RachelFerd and Druid, this is the most bizarre over-reaction I have ever read on this site (which is saying something LOL). So someone wants to steal (say) a shetland pony....do they spend time surfing the net looking at photos some of which are several years old....or do they go to a local show, check out the ponies, follow someone home who has the sort of thing they are looking for then spend some time casing the joint working out when the place is unattended and what the security is like? Hmmm....I wonder....photos which may or may not show a pony which may or may not be there are more vs a show where you can see several examples of a pony type, follow someone so you know exactly which field it is in and if it looks like a pain to load/handle.......gosh, which method would I choose if I were a thief, I can't imagine....
smirk.gif

IvorHorse

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/915906

These are our shool ponies- BLOODY CHEEK!
And this is our riding school:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you concerned about views that anyone can see with his or her own eyes from public rights of way? If you're concerned about the picture of the road to Sulham passing the entrance to Hall Place, are you also concerned about the pictures on http://www.hall-place.com/index.html that show your facilities in more intimate detail?

IvorHorse

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only photos of horses near Speen on Geograph are taken from the numerous public footpaths in the area, from what I can see, and are pastoral scenes only. The Horse Trust have their own website with far more detailed photographs of their actual premises on the geograph pics - just stick them into google images. And they open to the public....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the pictures have been removed by request!! D'oh! The Horse Trust were angry because the pictures were taken from their own land(PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!!) and not during visiting times, plus some of the horses they have are involved in court cases and their pictures should not be on the internet with details of where they are!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no pictures of horses at Speen have been removed from Geograph. All were taken from public rights of way. I don't believe there has been any such request to have pictures removed.

RobinHood

Visit site
Just had a look

- there's a photo of my old boss' field
- there's a photo of a nearby yard's horses.

Those are both fine, but then there's a photo of my yard that can only have been taken by someone trespassing! It's private land with a public bridlepath running round the edge and the photo has been taken from the middle of the farm
mad.gif
so someone has walked through the farm instead of using the bridlepath.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
but robinhood, the photo could have been taken by anyone - it could theoretically have been taken by someone who is allowed access to the farm.

I just don't understand why anyone really cares!

carys220

Visit site

Gingernags

Visit site
I can kind of see both sides. I had a lovely time looking at our local ones, there is so much information and things I didn't know - but mainly it was historical stuff. My naglets aren't on there and I've posted enough piccies of them myself with a VERY prominent local landmark in the background that would give a good idea of where they are.

However, thats my choice to post pictures of my property.

Had I come across pics someone else posted on this site saying photo of horses in field at x, never see anyone there they must be neglected - I'd be pretty well peed off.

Saying that had there been photos of mine I wasn't happy with, I would have emailed nicely saying lovely photo, but can you please change the caption as just because you haven't seen me, doesn't mean I'm not there twice a day! Or whatever.

Am actually tempted to contribute some photos!

I think everyone, the new Geograph Groupies included - need to take a deep breath and calm down. If HHOers have an issue with the pics, take them up individually and nicely with the photographers in question and I'm sure they will remove anything that upsets you.

As for the Geographers - the same is tru of you - stop calling everyone hysterical and mad as a box of frogs and unreasonable and try being a bit more conciliatory. There may not be proof that theives use your site - but to be fair its not above the realms of impossibility that people *COULD* use it for nefarious purposes, and if someone asks you nicely to change a pic or caption as they are unhappy with their private property being shown in too much detail or with what they see as a judgemental or incorrect caption - its not going to kill you is it?

Play nice now!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Well I have complained, sheep and cattle are one thing, horses are quite different, i have seen so many shetlands posted on this ruddy site, giving precise grid reference, tis crazy....

Luckily my horse is no longer at this yard but here is my boy most embarassed in his purple rug......last year...if there were my weenies on there with grid reference in an otherwise very secure yard which is hard to find, I would have something to say!!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/348167

pamandratty

Visit site
There is what I consider an unsuitable pic of my horses and stables on this site.
I have asked for it to be removed and i would provide a more suitable pic

Have e mailed the guy running the site , got a reply about a week ago that he would look in to it but I havent heard any more
any ideas what to do next