OMG, he has never done this before :(

gails

Visit site
I have had him nearly 15 years, and never has he shown any signs of aggression but today....

Today was so nice that I decided to take his neck cover off so he could enjoy the sun .

Tonight when I took him is tea he had, had such a nice roll that his mane and neck were completly covered, so obviously went to brush him, all I got was ears and teeth aim at me !!!!!!!!

Everone saw it and could not belive it, so I asked another girl just to make sure that it was not aimedat me but at another horse.

So she went up adjusted his rug, he did not blink an eye at her and possitivly went out of his way to tell me to get lost again!!!!!!

What could have caused this?

I have never hit him, shouted at him or rough housed him in anyway, infact the girl that tested this all out, is far harsher with all the horses.

I am at a loss
frown.gif

dwi

Visit site
Maybe you're too nice. If he know you won't shout or give him a smack when he misbehaves he might not be as respectful as towards someone he knows will tell him off.

china

Visit site
body language, the other girl was ovbiously very possitive and acertive so he knew not to do anything but though he woul try his luck with you. give him a slap next time!

soulfull

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're too nice. If he know you won't shout or give him a smack when he misbehaves he might not be as respectful as towards someone he knows will tell him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree totally!! probably not what you want to hear but have seen it a lot. Mom is so nice to the horse that he doesn't respect her. The problem is often with very well behaved horses too. They don't do anything wrong so mom has no reason to tell them off. However they have subtly got to be boss.
so you need to do some ground work with him to get his respect

Peanot

Visit site
Also, its getting near to the time of year when they usually go out and with the sun, they`re starting to think about it. They are ready for going out after a long winter in a stable.
I think you were probably at the wrong place at the wrong time. Remember the old saying, they take it out on the ones they love.
wink.gif

Puzzles

Visit site
It's simply not true that if you don't smack or shout at a horse, he will walk all over you. Your horse may have been having an off-day, he may have been protecting his personal space or area of grazing (especially if it is poor) you may have surprised him ... there are many possibilities. By all means continue behaving the way you always have but if it becomes a habit then you need to look to what may be the cause for his behaviour - particularly considering that this is so out of character of your horse. It may be due to the fact that he is older ... maybe his eyesight is poorer and he can't see you so well whcih would make him more defensive or nervous about his personal space.

Spudlet

Visit site
After 13 years the sudden change seems a little unusual - if it carries on you might even want to have him seen by the vet, he may have tweaked something in the field that is causing him discomfort. If he's always been ok and you haven't changed then that could be a possibility to bear in mind.

brucea

Visit site
Just keep a close eye on him. I own two recovered laminitics in my string, and one of the charcteristics of very early LGL is behavioural changes - irritability and not wanting fussed over, grumpy at intrusions is quite common.

Often the behavioural changes appear in advance of the physical changes - they are just feeling off colour, slightly pre-occupied and so on.

Keey a watch on his feet and feel for warmth or pulses