OMG how do you spend your time when horseless? I'm so bored!

Sophstar

Visit site
I had to sell Dex at the start of the year as he proved not to be suitable for what I wanted him for so back to square 1...horseless. I made a loss on him and he so kindly left me with a £700 vet bill after a field accident which I've just finished paying, so in the end he proved a nightmare and has nearly stripped me of most my savings that I had pre Dex. So now I'm back to saving a little each month after the joys of a large mortgage (and general living) and I just have my little retired pony to keep my existence at the yard. To add to that my friend (or so I thought) whose horses I helped with and he allowed me to ride left the yard and despite saying I could still go ride with him at the weekends, has cut contact and ignoring my requests to ride with him. So my weekends and evenings are somewhat proving incredibly dull and I'm bored senseless. The lighter evenings and sunny weekend have made me even more depressed and I find myself even staying at work longer as I can't bear to come home and do nothing!

Unfortunately no one at the yard has anything I can ride as I'm too tall for all their teeny ponies and I'm now going to book some lessons as my 'friend' has gone off the radar and I haven't ridden for ageeees. I don't really want to loan or share as that will cut into the tiny amount of savings I can do as it is.

Moan over...how does everyone else cope when horseless and saving?! This year will suck! I have had to get more into my trail running/obstacle course racing just so my time is spent doing something and I get to spend time outdoors!

puss

Visit site
Iv got two to give away would love to have a year off but one 24 and the other is nuts so no rest for me

Spotsrock

Visit site
I've taken up baking as I'm home with a baby more. Counter productive as I'm then eating cake!
What area are you, someone may be looking for a riding buddy.

Dusty85

Visit site
Can you do some fun groundwork stuff with your retired pony? (don't know how suitable this is depending on his/her age/soundness)- fun stuff like walking over tarps, poles, water trays etc

Walking the pony out in hand? -good exercise for the both of you.

In terms if riding- you could put a message on a FB group local to where you live asking if anyone has anything you can exercise in return for jobs/poo picking etc.

puss

Visit site
Essex trying to find a loaner whos experience not just out of riding school for the nuts one. As very talented just quirky just being down to one horse would be nice not that I wish to lose either one badly

rowan666

Visit site
get a dog? im currently trying to downsize my heard and finding im enjoying spending more and more time working on his selective hearing!
alternatively there must be an abundance of people wanting experienced help with their horses even if riding isnt involved?

{97702}

Visit site
I took up running when I had to sell my boy for financial reasons.. it was quite addictive, I really enjoyed it, and I made some fabulous friends who I hope will remain friends for the rest of my life. Having said that, I started riding again at the end of last year, got a share arrangement in November, got a pony on full loan today and am totally addicted again :) :) :)

Sophstar

Visit site
I want a dog but an animal hair allergy suffering other half means that will require selective decisions and we both work too long hours for a dog atm.

My retired pony will be walked out again with lighter evenings so he makes a good jogging companion for the block. We did agility taster sessions but he's so laid back with everything I can completely cover him with a tarpaulin and he doesn't bat an eyelid. I also have no transport to get him out and about!

I'm in Fleet so may put an ad out to see if anyone wants a hacking buddy. Just feels strange where I would usually be at the yard at the weekend till 1ish after sorting 2 out and can just about stretch it out till 10.30 whilst leisurely grooming/mucking out/finding anything that needs tidying!My stable is immaculate!

MS123

Visit site
In terms if riding- you could put a message on a FB group local to where you live asking if anyone has anything you can exercise in return for jobs/poo picking etc.

This is a great idea. Would any of your horsey friends be able to help? ...I love being horseless, though admittedly I miss being outside all day, especially now spring/summer is on it's way.

sport horse

Visit site
I would be extremely surprised if an ad for a little help in return for a hack did not bring you some joy. Wish you were nearer me!!

impresario08

Visit site
I'm currently horseless and feeling the same way. As a result my sister's horses and their stables are rather spotless quite often!!

Scarlett

Visit site
OP my horses aren't far from fleet and I could do with someone lighter than me to ride my mare a bit as she is coming back into work and I'm just too heavy atm. Drop me a PM if you might be interested.

Bojingles

Visit site
I'm not horseless but my mare's been on box rest for 5 months so I kind of feel your pain :(. I've started mucking out other people's horses and my dogs have never been so well exercised!