OMG i almost hit a horse with my car today!

black_horse

Visit site
I am still shacking where this has shook me up so much! driving back home from the yard today with mum in our 4x4 we spotted two horseback riders coming out of a field about 300 yards in front of us, no hi vis, horses on loose rein etc. we slowed right down and turned radio off etc. as the horses passed us the horse at the back of the group shyed into teh road, losing its balance and almost sat on the side of the car. the rider was clinging onto its neck for dear life. the horse looked so scared and tried to bolt off. lucky the rider regained control quickly.

no contact was made between horse and car but it shook both myself, my mother, the horse rider and her friend up.

TBH the horses and riders should have been in hi vis and the riders should have taken the horses off a loose rein when passing our vehicle. it was an accident waiting to happen that luckily nerve happened.

I know next time i go out ill wear HI vis and carry a whip! (which the rider didnt have..)

dsophiea

Visit site
sounds like they were lucky you had stopped completely, and wern't driving fast enough in the first place to hit them
frown.gif

I know how you feel, i went to the petrol station yesterday, as i pulled up i looked back to check the pipe could reach the car, looked forwards to find an old car flying towards me and smashed into the front of my car, turned out if was an old lady who had left it in reverse and her foot slipped
shocked.gif

frown.gif
fortunatly no damage but has left me very shaken
frown.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Eeeeek! You all (including Inks_77 and the petrol station!) had a very lucky escape! Just shows horses are always unpredictable. Glad no one was hurt.

mickey

Visit site
I have a girl hacking my horse out occasionally for me. I told her that this was on condition of her wearing a hi-viz jacket. It may be 'uncool' but I am not risking my horse.

E_Lister

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I know next time i go out ill wear HI vis and carry a whip! (which the rider didnt have..)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wear hi vis but I never carry a whip, I once held one for a friend for about 30 seconds and my 23 yr old bucked and reared and did bunny hops until I dropped it. I can understand the hi vis but how does it make you any safer carrying a whip?

E_Lister

Visit site
aah that makes sense
smile.gif
she tends not to do that so I think it is safer for me not to carry one though because bucking and rearing isn't fun and we think that she has this huge hissy fit due to her being beaten earlier on in life so there is no point in stressing her out.

black_horse

Visit site
e-lister- my horse doesnt like whips, took me ages to get her used to them etc but i need them out hacking because apparently when cars are scary you should canter into them...

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Lucky it was yourself and your mother as another driver may not have slowed, then that could have been awful.
I think that is awful having a long lose rein when on a road, with cars! I know horses spook but to have a long rein is an unnecessary risk, it angers me a great deal in fact, silly, silly risk!
mad.gif

black_horse

Visit site
i think it was very stupid, i was in a mind to get out the car and have a word with the rider but she was visibly shacken (and trotted off..) so i thought better of it. I HOPE she learned a valuable lesson. the speed limit is derestricted on that road, its a very narrow country lane with high hedges, they were wearning dark purple tops and black jobs (the horse was steel grey) and driving into the sun....i dont think anyone else would have slowed down