OMG, I Am Such An IDIOT...My poor horse !

Cobsndogs

Visit site
I am sooo stupid, and feel really bad/guilty. I decided to beautify my cob tonight, and also have a gently gently go at some spraying, which he is worried about (all sprays, fly, mane and tail etc). Anyway, as is typical, an audience always appears when something may happen!. As it was, he was actually quite good, I untied him and he walked round me while I aimed fly spray at him, no trampling here !!!. It's a bloody shame I was distracted and didn't look at which bottle I picked up, not the fly spray, but the fly killer for the stable, which has written all over it in big bold letters DO NOT USE ON ANIMALS. I only realised when I came back from turning him out and went to spray the other one. I was mortified. I got him back and sSprayed him off with water, but I hope it hasn't done anything awful to him.

babymare

Visit site
ok you stop the guilt trip hun x - we have all done some thing like that and you acted quickly so fingers crossed your horse wont react to it - just keep an eye out for anything unusual and lol keep the bottles seperate - btw I have a horse that hates sprays and I just dont use them as I hate a fight and at end of day does it matter - i use fly repellant cream or sponge fly spray etc on - they have dislikes just like us :) but go easy on your self ok :) x

SusieT

Visit site
Ring the company who make it and enquire as to the effects-not much you can do now but find out if it's likely to cause damage so you can be prepared.

blood_magik

Visit site
Don't feel bad - it was an accident.
Just keep a close eye on him and if he has a reaction, phone the vet.

If it makes you feel any better, mine had a bad reaction to a shop's own-brand baby shampoo. I felt awful but there wasn't much I could do other than phone the vet and get her to give my boy a steroid injection

hope your boy is ok

ruth83

Visit site
Is this the absorbine stuff? If so stop panicking!! From what I understand the 'DO NOT USE ON ANIMALS' is repeatedly on the bottles to get around EU legislations. I think it contains citronella and similar which are banned for insect repellents to be used on animals but not for generic pest control. I have used it (under advisement from a contact at absorbine) on a number of horses and not had any issues. It's probably one of the most effective sprays!!

If it's not absorbine but still designed for use in the stable then I imagine it will be a similar concoction. It can't be that dangerous if it is for use in a stable.

Visit site
Slightly off topic but my mother in law sprayed what she thought was fabreeze on her fabric dining room chairs only to discover they were all orange the next morning, she had picked up the wrong bottle and had used bleach on her black chairs.... oops :(

Mike007

Visit site
Pyrethroid fly spray is linked with problems with the nervous system ,but one spray will have NO AFFECT WHATSOEVER.The problem is frequent ,long term exposure.So dont make a habit of it.:D

Business

Visit site
Don't feel bad - it was an accident.
Just keep a close eye on him and if he has a reaction, phone the vet.

hope your boy is ok

This and no one is perfect, it's not like you did it on purpose, we all make mistakes. You reacted quickly when you realized your mistake and you can't ask any more than that of a mere mortal.

Error is human nature. No one who has ever lived has led an error free life.

Really hope he is ok

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Don't worry, we all do stupid things! Just double check with company and I'm sure it will be fine. I once put creosote on my horses' hooves- it was a small pot with a hoof brush in it!! I just wasn't paying attention! We are only human! :)

fitzaud2

Visit site
That so sounds like something I would do, but i would have told anyone trying to tell me, that I knew what I was doing, oops!!!!!
God love you, we all make mistakes, he'll prob be fine, and you, like me, will look twice at the bottle next time!!!!
:)

KVH

Visit site
Slightly off topic but my mother in law sprayed what she thought was fabreeze on her fabric dining room chairs only to discover they were all orange the next morning, she had picked up the wrong bottle and had used bleach on her black chairs.... oops :(
:D

Don't worry yoursef too much, I'm sure he will be fine.

wallykissmas

Visit site
Hope your horse is ok.

A yard I used to be on had some people who used fly spray in a can direct on their ponies. Not my choice but didnt appear to have a reaction to it.