OMG LOOK AT THIS AD! POOR PONY

Brambridge04

Visit site
I know he looks in good nick, but he is 2, and only looks 14hh MAX and has 2 fully grown adults sat on in all kinda of different postitions!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
She looks chilled, they have been careful where they sit - two people huddled together in the middle of her back would be far more uncomfortable for her, she looks likes she'll make a cracking pony for someone. I'd be tempted myself as she's been out and about if a) the price was lower and b) she had four whites.

Hedwards

Visit site
Agreed, I dont like that two adults are sitting on a 2 year old, however I'd be more worried about the fact a 2 year old is 'driven every weekend in the heaviest of traffic' - 2 year old being driven every weekend makes me more uncomfortable than the photos!

ischa

Visit site
Poor little thing , but I am quite gobsmacked she is a Total double of my mare

a2a80f0f.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Ah well, now this has been bought to the attention of a forum, and will probably be picked up by others the advert has been seen by lots of people and she'll probably find a home quite quickly, if she is what someone wants for the money. As for the age, at least they are being honest and not selling her as a 4 year old.

I am not going to comment on the photos or the driving details, what's the point of bitching? What's done is done, condemnation isn't going to make any difference.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I too am appalled - it's only 2 and is being driven in heavy traffic and has 2 "dopes on a rope" sitting on her. Such a shame that good natured ponies can get taken advantage of.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Emails were sent to the website regarding this advert and there is a reply on their Facebook page.

So what was her excuse? Don't particularly want to "friend" her to find out.

Doh - I suppose you mean the online advertisers page not the girl herself. Stupid me.

Last edited:

Gilbey

Visit site
Quite obviously dealers, poor little sole. Also nobody else picked up on the fact that its SHOD at TWO!:( Words fail me.....................................

touchstone

Visit site
While I wouldn't condone working a horse at this age, there are plenty of people who do, and this pony does look well cared for. There are also plenty of racehorses ridden and shod at two. There are far worse things welfare wise to be concerned about imho.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
While I wouldn't condone working a horse at this age, there are plenty of people who do, and this pony does look well cared for. There are also plenty of racehorses ridden and shod at two. There are far worse things welfare wise to be concerned about imho.

Exactly.

Megibo

Visit site
I fail to be shocked by the ad...yes i wouldn't work a 2 year old but she's clearly looked after and agree with earlier poster i doubt they do that all the time most likely just to show how good she is.
From the title I was expecting a poor, underweight tiny thing with a terrible coat being ridden by a heavy chav around a field....

rockysmum

Visit site
Just because there is a lot worse out there doesn't make it right.

She shouldn't even be backed at two, never mind two heavy adults sitting on her, shod and driven reguarly.

Poor little mite. I dont say she is a cruelty case but am amazed at the reaction on here. I thought we were horse lovers

Spring Feather

Visit site
The horse looks like a rising 3 year old and was probably broken to longrein/drive at 2 - 2 1/2. What's all the fuss about :confused: that's quite common as anyone who raises youngsters knows. It looks and sounds like a sweet horse who has been responsibly exposed to many different situations at a young age which should help set it up for life.

If more people took the time to teach these things to their youngsters then perhaps there would be less being passed from pillar to post and running the gauntlet of the auctions.

JingleTingle

Visit site
The horse looks like a rising 3 year old and was probably broken to longrein/drive at 2 - 2 1/2. What's all the fuss about :confused: that's quite common as anyone who raises youngsters knows. It looks and sounds like a sweet horse who has been responsibly exposed to many different situations at a young age which should help set it up for life.

If more people took the time to teach these things to their youngsters then perhaps there would be less being passed from pillar to post and running the gauntlet of the auctions.

As the owner of a (now PTS sadly) big cob boy that was broken to drive as a 2 and a half year old, and driven hard I have to disagree strongly that this isnt a problem. I owned him from a four year old - and was warned by my vet that the constant abuse of his joints before they had fully formed would probably mean he would become permanently unsound at a relatively early age.

My vet was correct - I had to retire him from work very early due to athritic changes in most joints - he was only ever hacked by me - never subject to undue strain etc. He did live to be 21 - but only as a pasture ornament and sadly his legs finally gave way in May and he had to be PTS. :(

Im sure some horses might get away with being subjected to this much work at a very young age - but an awful lot won't IMO.

rockysmum

Visit site
So the next time I see someone posting to ask what weight a horse can carry, I will refer them to this thread.

2.5 year old little cobs are fine with 20 Stone !!!!!!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Good gracious here we go again:rolleyes: Where in the advert does it say the horse was "driven hard"? It says the horse has been driven in heavy traffic on weekends. That's good experience for a youngster and NOWHERE does it suggest that it was galloped up and down the M1, in fact it doesn't look like it's been ragged anywhere. It looks in great condition.

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com

This. Pony looks quite well cared for, the photo was more than likely a one off to show how chilled it is, and the driving every weekend could be at walk - doesn't say they're out racing the pony every weekend, does it? :rolleyes: Aren't there better things to get everyone's knickers in a twist over? :confused:

JingleTingle

Visit site
The horse looks like a rising 3 year old and was probably broken to longrein/drive at 2 - 2 1/2. What's all the fuss about that's quite common as anyone who raises youngsters knows.

I can assure you I have vast experience of raising young horses in my earlier years my dear - but I would never, ever have driven one at that age.

Perhaps you are confusing long reining with actually driven? For some inexperienced people they might think that both are acceptable in a horse that young:rolleyes:. Long reining and even long reining out in heavy traffic - fine. Actually driven - not good news and I wouldn't want to either sell or buy a horse that has been subjected to that sort of education so early.

But each to their own I suppose?;) Just shows how careful we need to be when buying young horses that we check how and when they were taught certain aspects of their training, if most producers do this nowadays as you suggest?:confused:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Here goes the racehorse debate, horses bred,fed and trained by professionals and ridden by lightweights, not defending this, its just not comparable.
To purchase this horse is to condone the working of a two year old driven on the roads, they are obviously idiots with no regard for welfare of the horse.

Last edited: