OMG LOOK AT THIS AD! POOR PONY

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Pictures are bloody stupid what bloody prats are they!!!
But pony seems cared for so who cares. I know plenty off 2 yrs old out being driven and all well cared for but my highland will stay where he is until he's 4 before I back him.

JingleTingle

Visit site
I doubt SF is confused between driving and long reining, tbf :rolleyes:

Really?:eek: I was giving the benefit of the doubt to explain the statement from somebody who was intimating that they were experienced at producing young stock. - oh well just goes to show, and re enforces my point that buyers would be well advised to check sellers methods and age of some of the training before purchasing young stock then?;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I know plenty off 2 yrs old out being driven and all well cared for but my highland will stay where he is until he's 4 before I back him.

Likewise mine ;) how old's yours?

Lots of people do things I disapprove of - this is no worse that half of what seems to be acceptable round here, imho :p

thatsmygirl

Visit site
My little lad is only 20 months bless him and so bum high. A v close friend is driving her dales pony at 2 yrs old every other day which I think is wrong and personally wouldn't do it but who am I to tell her otherwise??? Pony is very well cared for and loved

tristar

Visit site
poor pony exactly!

as a person who fervently believes no horse should be broken until 4 years old, that picture has made my blood boil, the ignorance and total lack of consideration for such a young animal just shows their lack of intelligence, and for both of them sit on it like that, well, they should be locked up.

TallyHo123

Visit site
Agreed, I dont like that two adults are sitting on a 2 year old, however I'd be more worried about the fact a 2 year old is 'driven every weekend in the heaviest of traffic' - 2 year old being driven every weekend makes me more uncomfortable than the photos!

100% agree with this!

JFTDWS

Visit site
My little lad is only 20 months bless him and so bum high. A v close friend is driving her dales pony at 2 yrs old every other day which I think is wrong and personally wouldn't do it but who am I to tell her otherwise??? Pony is very well cared for and loved

Aw, my lad was 2 last week, not very bum high atm, but a tiddly 13hh - he'd better get growing before his 4th birthday :eek:

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
LMAO the owner has posted on the NFED wall post -

Shelley Oldrid some of you people have no idea REALLY!!! the horse looks healthy if a little fat! if she didnnt like it or was not SAFE to do this they wouldnt!!!!! and they was prob only sat on it for the pic to show useless people like u lot that she can be 100 percent trusted and safe!!! get a grip!!!!
about an hour ago
Shelley Oldrid she is not tacked up just in a head collar for god sake!!!!
about an hour ago

thatsmygirl

Visit site
JFTD I keep thinking that as well, my lad is 12.2hh at withers and 13.hh if you go for his bum ;) I would like 14.1hh really but I'm sure his barrow body will take my legs up.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
While I wouldn't condone working a horse at this age, there are plenty of people who do, and this pony does look well cared for. There are also plenty of racehorses ridden and shod at two. There are far worse things welfare wise to be concerned about imho.

Sorry but this is a COB! Everyone knows that most COBS don't mature physically and mentally until they are around 8 years of age or thereabouts.
TBS and most of those that race at 2 are bred to be precocious.
Therefore it is most absurd to try and compare the breaking in and riding/working of horses of two different breeds, with different conformation and in most cases very different ages of maturity in their physical development.
I would never agree with a cob of this age being shod, backed, driven or ridden.
I would not object to a 2 year old TB doing this because in most cases they are bred to be physically capable of not only standing up to the rigours of training and being ridden, but also to WIN.
Or forgive me if I am wrong that every result of every 2 year old horse race is a lie and the horses are all in fact much older than 2 :)

Yes there are worse things going on regarding welfare etc to a 2 year old cob having two fully grown adults sitting on its back, being shod and being driven, but does that make it of any less importance?
Or course it bloody doesn't!
It is still neglect and cruelty!

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD I keep thinking that as well, my lad is 12.2hh at withers and 13.hh if you go for his bum ;) I would like 14.1hh really but I'm sure his barrow body will take my legs up.

I'm secretly hoping for a couple of spring spurts and he'll end up over-height pushing 15hh and slightly leaner than my other one :eek: But provided he makes 14,1+ we can manage :D My 5 year old has grown a good few inches since I got him at 3 so fingers crossed!

billy2

Visit site
If the other horse in the ad has 'been there, done it', presumably it's about 3 then (the extra year will make all the difference!)

toffeeyummy

Visit site
Poor little thing , but I am quite gobsmacked she is a Total double of my mare

a2a80f0f.jpg

wow what a beautiful horse you have!

touchstone

Visit site
Sorry but this is a COB! Everyone knows that most COBS don't mature physically and mentally until they are around 8 years of age or thereabouts.
TBS and most of those that race at 2 are bred to be precocious.
Therefore it is most absurd to try and compare the breaking in and riding/working of horses of two different breeds, with different conformation and in most cases very different ages of maturity in their physical development.
I would never agree with a cob of this age being shod, backed, driven or ridden.
I would not object to a 2 year old TB doing this because in most cases they are bred to be physically capable of not only standing up to the rigours of training and being ridden, but also to WIN.
Or forgive me if I am wrong that every result of every 2 year old horse race is a lie and the horses are all in fact much older than 2 :)

Yes there are worse things going on regarding welfare etc to a 2 year old cob having two fully grown adults sitting on its back, being shod and being driven, but does that make it of any less importance?
Or course it bloody doesn't!
It is still neglect and cruelty!

Actually there is evidence to suggest that tb's take just as long to develop and growth plates to fuse as any other breed, in fact they may take longer according to this article:- http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

Also the feeding needed in training can often predispose the tb to ocd. I'd also argue that driving is less damaging when done properly a couple of times a week than intensive training carrying a rider, even a lightweight one.