OMG NFU premium hike- where do you all insure?

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Yikes - i know other people have complained before about NFU and their price hikes and i admit i did secretly hope and pray that my premiums may be left as they were....

However, after the sweetner of 'being a loyal customer for 6 years your reward is £260.33' blah blah blah... It transpires my premium has been hiked by nearly £50 a month.

Thats a blimmin fortune!

Anyone else successfully talked NFU down on their proposed premiums?
If not, where have you guys taken your custom instead?

MrsHutt

Visit site
My NFU premium went up by £2.50 a month!! :confused::confused:

I am just awaiting the letter telling me it was a mistake and it should be £250 ;)

(hope not ... :eek:)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
NFU did the same to me so I went to Petplan with my then 3 horses. It was about a third less than my original premium! Haven't had to claim yet but hoping they'll stand by their reputation if I do. NFU were great at that side of it, but since I hadn't claimed in 8 years I did feel an increase in costs of £47 a month was pushing it!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
**Oh dear** thinks I my have to change in a few months when my premium arrives....... Could be tricky with an 18yo neddy as would rather not just have veteran insurance just yet...

Nosey

Visit site
Mine increased by nearly 50% recently :-( I claimed once in 10 yrs of being with NFU but wasn't keen to change as had a bad experience with SEIB. In the end after a no of phonecalls to try & reduce to no avail reduced sum insured & knocked off 3rd party as already have it via BHS & this took premiums down to similar level as before.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I've gone with pet plan equine, I did think about just putting £50 a month or so in a savings account because then if you don't claim at least you've something to show for it but decided not to risk it.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Mine went up 50% with a letter saying Thankyou for 14 yrs loyal custom. Went to south Essex. Lorry still with NFU but due on may so will see what happens as to wether I move that as well

Piccy

Visit site
I've been with carriagehouse for about five or six years fantastic service two claims both paid out in full with no problems renewal this week iirc increase over the year of about ten pounds, wont be changing, I personally think they are worth getting a quote from.

ISHmad

Visit site
Talk to Julie Andrews at Horse Insurance Services. She is a broker who deals with all the insurers and is really knowledgeable. Saved us a fortune after our NFU premium went through the roof. (She placed us with Scottish Equestrian).

Pedantic

Visit site
NFU don't want you to stay with them so waste of time talking to them to get it reduced, be careful when you change over, as I ended up with my pony uninsured, as NFU did the dirty and cancelled my cover at a bank holiday and did totally different to what they said they would on the phone, in fact I would get your new insurance to start 2 weeks before your NFU one finishes to be sure you have continuation of cover.

sam-b

Visit site
I have just moved to kbis. My policy increase was not to bad but then I had my mare back and the cost for them both to be insured was too much, with kbis I have them both insured for what it cost me for one with Nfu. I have claimed lou in the past, infact twice and was worth while as basically it doesn't matter if your horse can hardly walk as so lame that the vet tells you to pts, they won't pay out on death but will on Lou ...

Louby

Visit site
Mine went up over £20 a month, I hadnt claimed for years and had been with them 10 yrs, so I changed to KBIS, not quite the same level of cover but I couldnt afford over £50 a month to insure my boy. I also reduced his value to keep the premium down as its the dreaded vets fees that Im more concerned about.
My lorry renewal was a month later, that didnt go up too much bit I rang round and went with KBIS for that too and saved £80 a year for the same cover and a lower excess.
I was sad to leave NFU as they were great in the past but it was getting riddiculous.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
**Oh dear** thinks I my have to change in a few months when my premium arrives....... Could be tricky with an 18yo neddy as would rather not just have veteran insurance just yet...

PS I think your only other option for that is petplan, they will do full cover until 20. Frank is with them anyway and am sure when I was looking it was them or nfu.

Janette

Visit site
I was appalled at the price hike, but for various reasons, it is very difficult for me to change insurers.

I took out BHS membership and took the 3rd party and personla insurance out of the equation, and I reduced the value of the horse. This took the premiums down to an acceptable level.

(It's difficult to change insurance companies because she has had a very chequered medical history of tendon troubles and cancer.....and now her age - she's 15 :( )

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Mine went up 50% with a letter saying Thankyou for 14 yrs loyal custom. Went to south Essex. Lorry still with NFU but due on may so will see what happens as to wether I move that as well

Husband has had hunt lorry with NFU for years - and it is a VERY low value (about £1800) job insured for 3rd Party, fire and theft only! The quote this year was over £700 :jawdropblue: Moved to KBIS for less than half that!

I moved my yard, employer and public liability to KBIS (from SEIB) a couple of years ago for a saving of over £500 AND far better cover (SEIB wouldn't cover my tack room contents at all - included in my new policy I have £20,000 cover on tack!)

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've changed to Pet plan because of losing 2 horse in the space of 12 months. I was with the NFU who have paid out loss of horse twice no questions asked and I didn't have loss of use. My premium had gone up loads and Pet plan wasn't much cheaper to be honest.

pricklyflower

Visit site
I had the same about 48% price increase. I have gone with Petplan who were cheaper and dropped vets fees so my premiums for the 4 of them are relatively low and I've increased my standing order to my savings account to self insure. I'm hoping I don't have to claim until I build my savings up but I'm relatively liquid so if I did have a big bill I'd still be able to afford to pay it.

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Was with NFU but changed to Petplan last year after increase from NFU. However I have just got the renewal letter through and Petplan is up by £5 a month :( I rang them and they said it was due to an increase in vets fees. Anyone else had this from Petplan? My horse is 17 next year though so my options are more limited.

Jesstickle

Visit site
If you're looking to move I can't recommend Stoneways highly enough. They were amazing this year with Nitty's hock and made everything so easy and stress free. Paid every last penny without even a quibble, straight to the vet in a timely fashion.

I was really impressed. Having heard so many insurance nightmare stories I was expecting it to be much worse than it was!!

Bubbles

Visit site
I never found NFU to be competitive on price so until very recently stuck with Petplan - still expensive but through bitter experience I know they're a trustworthy insurer. However this year the premium for my 7yo low level eventer was the wrong side of £1300, so I switched to Amtrust on recommendation. Better policy for less than half the premium, so definitely worth shopping around.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
I'm dreading my renewal in Feb! BUT, last feb it hadnt gone up much and i had already heard then about price hikes.
My car insuance with them jumped up in October (from memory it was by over 70% as when i called to query it - the lady thought it must have been a mistake!), so i switched and saved over £500!

i hope mine doesnt jump up as i have 14 with them. i know i plan to switch my horseboxes from NFU to KBIS in the spring.

sakura

Visit site
my renewal is due soon, I've been with them 3 years with two different horses and never claimed but I'm dreading to see what they've decided to hike mine up too, looks like I'm also looking for a change

scribble

Visit site
i was with NFU too for years but they doubled mine at my renewal and i have NEVER claimed and we have alsways insured all our horses with them. rang pet plan and they got it to cheaper than i was paying originally.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I was horrified by my NFU increase too. I have changed to SEIB who were cheaper. I called NFU and told them I wouldnt be renewing and they didnt seem to care. Quite ridiculous considering I've paid them about £1,000 every year for the past 6 years!!! AND NEVER CLAIMED ONCE.

Whizz105

Visit site
Having previously worked in horse insurance i understand both sides as it does depend on how much they have paid out in the previous year.
However it is vital u shop around and understand the differences between each policy.
I've been with Carriage House years now and they are brilliant and they give you alternatives to keep the costs down. so worth a call.
(And no it wasn't Carriage House i worked for! :))

Last edited: