OMG peoples worst fears

kylie88

Visit site
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
That is awful

Alimac19

Visit site
I'm sure it happens more than you think. Look at all the poor beasties in the dealers at the sales that are obviously only there to get the last pennies out of some poor knackered old horse. They must get them from somewhere. I think the safest option would be to get the vet to do it at your own yard. Thats certainly they way I would do it. I would never send one away to be euthanised, far too sressfull for all involved.

M_G

Visit site
If I ever have to make that very sad decision I will make sure I am there at the end.. Its a hard enough decision to make without finding out a few weeks later that it never happened, I really feel for not only the horse but for the owner too
frown.gif

Holly831

Visit site
OMG that is just awful - do it at home, at least you know its actually done then and you have done your best for your horse, no matter how upsetting this is it would be soooo much worse to be in this situation!

R2R

Visit site
What I will say is this.

As animal lovers, we really have to start distancing ourselves from what makes us cringe, and think what is best for the animal. Whilst the slaughter house is not for some, there are reasons horses go there - healthy or not. Whilst it is not very nice, the prolonged suffering of many of these animals - in what I can only call amateur hands (as know of no experienced horseperson who would touch them with a bargepole) amounts to a far crueller fate than a 10 minute episode in a slaughter house.

It is the same thing with people who have a horse cripped some highly painful injury or ailment and "keep them going"...for you, or for the horse? To me, you should be there for the horse, and when the time is right, you owe it to do the right thing.

Human compassion is a funny thing.

kerilli

Visit site
this is why i take them myself and INSIST on seeing it done, however upsetting.
btw, i know someone whose OH used to work in hunt service, and would send owners away and then take sometimes take the horse to the sales for profit... the message is, don't believe your horse or pony is safely gone unless you have seen him or her hit the deck. seriously.

hellspells

Visit site
I couldn't agree more with Kerilli and others who have said you can never really believe it unless you see it. We owe our horses that last dignity, so that when the time is right they are at peace rather than suffering a fate I would not wish on my worst enemy

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If you have the animal shot at home then you are sure that it is dead when it leaves your yard. It appears to me that the 'oh so kind ' owner was trying to recoup some of their money by getting meat money out of the knackerman, otherwise if they had paid for the service, the knackerman would have been guilty ofobtaining goods and/or money by deception. If you pay for a service then you should expect that service, if you are paid for an item (even a horse) then it is up to the buyer to decide what they do with that item.
The answer is in our own control, pay for the service.

loz9

Visit site
im speechless at what some people will do for a little money! every living creature deserves dignity, be it human or animal.

wysiwyg

Visit site
I think this sorry tale just proves that there is a fate worse than death.
How Sad.

Has the horses owner got it back then?

Battyoldbint

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the animal shot at home then you are sure that it is dead when it leaves your yard. It appears to me that the 'oh so kind ' owner was trying to recoup some of their money by getting meat money out of the knackerman, otherwise if they had paid for the service, the knackerman would have been guilty ofobtaining goods and/or money by deception. If you pay for a service then you should expect that service, if you are paid for an item (even a horse) then it is up to the buyer to decide what they do with that item.
The answer is in our own control, pay for the service.

[/ QUOTE ]

nacker was paid for euthanasia and cremation

e21631

Visit site
I took a horse a few years ago to an abattoir and the man would not let me hold the horse (insurance/health and safety) so I insisted I wanted to see the horse once dead, and I did.

Sounds gruesome I know but I wanted to know he was really gone and not sold on like this poor horse (if it's true)

e21631

Visit site
Surely then the horse belongs to the original owner, the knackerman stole it and it should be returned to it's owner immediately

So if this story is true the police should be contacted asap as that horse is stolen property.

xebec

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sounds gruesome I know but I wanted to know he was really gone and not sold on like this poor horse (if it's true)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the horrific part of the story - not the fact that the owner let the knacker man take her horse rather than have her shot at home, but a) the depth of deception by somebody who one would hopefully trust at such a time and b) how the horse ends up with a different dealer to the one who bought her from the knacker man and then advertised (for the second time in her life) on a 'rescue' forum!

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
And this is why we should just let the french get on with eating horses and stop meddling in the affairs of others.

However, I'm entirely sceptical on the details concerning this horse. The whole story makes no sense.

Why "sell a horse to slaughter" instead of having her PTS at home. And why is a cancerous horse en route for food anyway?

xebec

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Why "sell a horse to slaughter" instead of having her PTS at home. And why is a cancerous horse en route for food anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

This horse wasn't 'sold for slaughter', the owner paid the knacker man who advertises a 'collection or putting down on site service...... and also offer incineration and cremation on request 24-7' for slaughter and cremation!

The horse wasn't supposed to be 'en route for food' because she was destined to be humanely destroyed and then cremated (presumably her ashes then being passed back)!

That is the point of this whole thread!

HBII

Visit site
Sickening, that poor mare
frown.gif

I fullay agree with the below M_G

[ QUOTE ]
If I ever have to make that very sad decision I will make sure I am there at the end.. Its a hard enough decision to make without finding out a few weeks later that it never happened, I really feel for not only the horse but for the owner too
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lannerch

Visit site
The poor poor mare and still suffering!

I am apalled by the deception and the lengths people will go just to make a fast buck.

Agree totally with m_G too

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
my horses have not for human consumption on their passports, does this mean they cant go 2 the knacker man?

As for this pony - this is exactly when no one should "rescue" a horse from the knackers yard as they are there for a reason and that would've been someones loved animal that they think is already dead!

xebec

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my horses have not for human consumption on their passports, does this mean they cant go 2 the knacker man?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it just means that they cannot enter the human food chain.

And FWIW, the owner stipulated to the knacker man that this horse was not for human consumption due to the medications she'd been taking.