OMG WOW .. What do you think of this??

CastleMouse

Visit site
My God, it was amazing when the guy was riding him! Jumping over the arena fence!
shocked.gif

S_N

Visit site
Yeah that was pretty cool, but I'm never keen on the ears back and the tail swishing that is so often seen in these demos. That bloke is one helluva jockey though!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
I would agree with you there.
Very flashy to watch, but I do wonder how they are taught to rear and why the horses tend to look braindead or unhappy in the demos..

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
The horse did look very tense especially in the piaffe where he was also very hollow rather then taking the weight on his hind legs, lightening his front end and stepping under as is correct.

Actually whilst I was watching it it reminded me of going to the circus when I was a kid. I'm sure Parelli has done wonders for lots of horses and riders but there's nothing new in training any animal (from poodle to elephant) to do tricks on command.

jumbyjack

Visit site
Would have to agree, the horse looked tense and miserable, although there is some good to be found in every method Parelli seems to invade the horse's space too much for me.

Jumping out of the arena was fairly spectactular but I wouldn't want to include it in my schooling session.
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think that is? Surely if the horse wasn't happy or co-operative to please he would simply walk away or buck rider off??
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea! I agree that if the horse didn't want to, it just wouldn't! Mum has suggested that maybe the horse is aware of what might happen to it, if it didn't do as told - not something I've ever thought of with regards to Parelli or the like TBH.

Tia

Visit site
Hmm it didn't look miserable to me. Of course it would be tense - you can't get movement like that on a dime, by being relaxed - just not possible.

You could clearly see the very strong bond between this rider and his mount and the way in which the rider constantly caressed the horse was heart-warming. Obviously they are a wonderful team.

I personally thought it was absolutely fantastic - the art of skilled horsemanship is not dead after all.
cool.gif

Chex

Visit site
It certainly impressed me. The horse instantly relaxed when it was scratched, and seemed content. It didn't have to follow the guy, I don't think that sort of thing can be achieved through being nasty to the horse. There was complete trust from both of them.

sojeph

Visit site
I wouldn't say miserable at all. I'd say he was concentrating hard on what he was being instructed to do just like anything/one in training.
I enjoyed watching that
grin.gif

PoppyPony

Visit site
I thought it was wonderful, and I disagree that the horse looked miserable?! I would be more miserable tacked up in this and that gadget with an ill-fitting saddle, unbalanced rider and trained with harsh methods.

I dabbled in parelli a little while ago and while I found it not to be for me, I can assure everyone that there is NO violence in these methods.

Also I love that horse!!!!!!

carmenlucy123

Visit site
yeah me too
i think it was very good... it must take a hell of alot of patience that horse was WATCHING that guys every move he was not unhappy i didnt think at all!
smile.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that was pretty cool, but I'm never keen on the ears back and the tail swishing that is so often seen in these demos. That bloke is one helluva jockey though!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every single Parelli demo I've seen has had horses with their ears pinned back and tail going like mad, although this one didn't seem so bad. I wonder why that is?
Agree bloke is an amazing rider!

samsaccount

Visit site
OMG that was truly amazing, natural horsemanship is the best thing in my opinion! I only wish i could have have such a strong connection with a horse to be able to do that (not to mention that amzingly secure seat the man has!)

In my opinion the horse was not unhappy at all and was simply listening to the mans commands and concentrating on what was being asked. As I highly doubt the horse could perfom like he did if he was unhappy or tense in any way...

AMAZING!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why that is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I don't believe you lot don't understand why they flick their ears backwards and forwards. The horse uses it's ears in a similar fashion to how we use our eyes. His ears constantly flick backwards and forwards - any horse who is concentrating incredibly hard will do this. He may be trying to pre-empt the handlers movements, he may be irked that the handler is not moving fast enough in the game for his liking or the handler is moving so fast and sporadic that the horse is working and concentrating so hard to follow his movements.

My daughter plays a game with her pony Cloud and when they do their running and chasing part, Cloud always has moments where she pins her ears flat back and frequently bears her teeth particularly when she has to run quickly and make spins and turns. Now my daughter always plays this game with the pony being totally free (as in this video) and at ANY point the pony can decide whether she wants to stop playing the game. She is free at any point to put her head down and graze or wander off back to her field.....but she doesn't. I've never seen Cloud finish the game.....she always waits for my daughter to "release" her and then she will quietly go off and graze.

Anyone on here who plays with their horses will know that they always do this with their ears.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ok, that makes sense, but particularly in the first demo I saw the horses (who were being ridden) shad their ears back most of the time, accompanied by wrinkled nostril and looked pretty p:ssed off. However, I'm happy to have another look and reevaluate
smile.gif

jayvee

Visit site
I thought it was truly amazing. There must be a very strong and trusting bond between them to achieve such stuff. I see Tia's point with the ears, for concentration and execution of whats being asked. And the horse was clearly enjoying every praise he got, and many at that.
To me that was mind blowing to watch. I loved it and can't wait to start the basics myself (when stage 1 kit comes through the post)
grin.gif

Though I don't anticipate I will ever get to the level as them
tongue.gif
I just want to have a better bond with my horse and a deeper understanding most of all.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Often ears laid back can be a sign of concentration and lets face it that horse was focused on nothing other than the bloke.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The horse did look very tense especially in the piaffe where he was also very hollow rather then taking the weight on his hind legs, lightening his front end and stepping under as is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many fail to get that with a saddle and bridle so I think thats a bit harsh.

jayvee

Visit site
Maybe they are just an excellent example of what CAN be achieved. I am sure if it were a vid clip of me and my hos trying to do that it would be cringe factor 10/10
blush.gif

-and me taking a trip to A&E!!
crazy.gif

But I am open minded and want to give it a go.