On and Off Lameness

lottieh13

New User
Visit site
Just under 3 weeks ago, I had a jumping lesson with my gelding and we were working on having a more forward canter. The next day, he was lame. Quite mild but it was obvious that he was so we gave him the day off. We trotted him up the next day and he was perfectly sound. I gave him a quiet couple of days and he seemed completely fine. About 8 days later we go xc schooling with a few people from our yard. He was perfect and was enjoying himself. Again, he was lame the next day but was fine in 24 hours so i gave him a couple of quiet days after that. Then a week later we decided to go for a quick 30 minute xc schooling session to get him more confident over ditches and he was perfect. The next day he was hopping lame out of his stable but after around 10 minutes when we led him up to the field he seemed perfectly fine!

He has never been lame with me and is a very sound pony. At the moment he is staying in at night. We are planning to get the vet out to look at him if he is lame again. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks.

IrishMilo

Visit site
If I had a horse go lame after jumping I'd be giving it a few weeks flat and easy work, even if it was fine after 24 hours. It sounds like you're doing too much too soon when you don't know what the issue is. It might be concussion soreness or he could have foot bruising. Is he shod?

lottieh13

New User
Visit site
If I had a horse go lame after jumping I'd be giving it a few weeks flat and easy work, even if it was fine after 24 hours. It sounds like you're doing too much too soon when you don't know what the issue is. It might be concussion soreness or he could have foot bruising. Is he shod?

Yes he is. At first we thought it was because he had knocked a pole but soon realised it was more than that. My riding instructor and yard manager who I trust very much with years of experience has been guiding me in how much I am doing with him. Thank you for the idea. We will look into it.

asmp

Visit site
How old is he? I recently had my horse’s hooves X-rayed as quite often he didn’t feel quite right but no one could work out why. Turned out he has large calcified side bones (which I’d never heard of) and which explains a lot.

lottieh13

New User
Visit site
How old is he? I recently had my horse’s hooves X-rayed as quite often he didn’t feel quite right but no one could work out why. Turned out he has large calcified side bones (which I’d never heard of) and which explains a lot.

Hi, thanks for replying. He turned 7 in April.

sherry90

Visit site
I’d be having him checked by my farrier to check for bruising or possible abscess. I would tone down the work if horse is sound and obviously not ride if lame. If nothing comes from farrier visit, then vet.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd probably get the vet out now to scan the leg, rather than wait for him to go lame again.

(we had a suspensory issue that only raised itself the day after schooling, we had no school, we should definitely have had it scanned earlier than we did as horse did not make a full recovery).

I would consider a hoof xray at the same time.

paddi22

Visit site
I had one similar and on hoof X-ray it turned out he had an internal gas pocket. it would only hurt him the odd time on certain surfaces and doing certain turns that put pressure on it. he had to get the air released from it and then he was fine

lottieh13

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone! We have solved the problem! He has a splint so nothing serious but we will be keeping a good eye on him and taking it slowly and carefully. Thanks for all of your help x