On the forehand??

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
Hi
I did a dressage test recently and was quite pleased with it, however we only scored 60% and got comments like "poll too low" (which it was) and "not uphill enough", which somebody said meant she was on the forehand. Is this correct and if it is how do i tell if she is on the forehand and how do i get her off the forehand? Bearing in mind she is only 6. Thanks :)

melliebobs

Visit site
Hi. I've had exactly this with my young horse. I was told that this long and low was a nice prelim outline. However had a dressage lesson off a good trainer and he showed us how to build on this and get more of a novice frame. Basically I did a few steps of walk, then trot, then walk, the halt etc. mixing it around a bit. All the transitions really helped lift him through his shoulders and engage more behind. I also did lots of half transitions within the trot. Really worked very well for me. Good luck

showpony

Visit site
Lots and lots of transitions... My mare can feel heavy and on the forehand ... Its a work in progress... Apparently you should aim for about 200 upwards and downwards transitions in a schooling session. I've found hill work a great help as she really has to engage more from behind.

Chirmapops

Visit site
Firstly, don't be too downhearted about "only" scoring 60%! If you look at the scale of marks at the top of your sheet, 6 is "satisfactory" so that's a good solid base to work from.
top of your sheet, 6 is "satisfactory" so that's a good solid base to work from.

It sounds to me like you need to get your horses more in front of your leg, which will help to stop his poll dropping low. Remember there's a difference between a slightly longer frame, which is desirable at prelim, and a horse that carries its head behind the vertical with the poll dipped. By keeping his poll up and riding lots of transitions you'll help him carry more weight from behind (more active hind legs, but not faster) and lift his forehand. Other things that are worth trying are lots of hill work out hacking and working with your instructor to ride really good half halt - energising his back end and "catching" the energy with tiny feels in front. This will mean you can ride really good turns and corners in your tests which in turn will help him swing his inside hind better underneath.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited: