On the subject of Hi-Vis...

HeresHoping

Visit site
Has anyone made a tabbard with a 15 sign on the back, yet?

I am so glad I have a relatively traffic proof pony, especially when I bung my 8 yo pipsqueak of a daughter up there on the way to and from going to collect the pony she rides (it's only 0.5 miles away, it's easier to do this than the other way around). We're both hi-vised, and I'm in the road on my feet but it makes not the slightest bit of difference to the speed at which some like to pass us. I like to think it's the tourists but suspect that I can't blame them entirely.

It just struck me that it would tie in quite nicely with the BHS campaign on road safety. I have not explored the legal aspects of this yet - and apologies to Champion, I stole their tabbard image off the web and messed about with it.

In case they haven't, and it's a go, you saw it here first!:p

Last edited:

JenJ

Visit site
I would be wary of sending a message that 15 is ok regardless of conditions - some people do regard the speed limit as a target regardless of what is going on around them.

If it's a narrow road, with high hedges, and blind bends, I want a car to pass me at a slower speed than on an empty two lane straight road with good visibility.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would be wary of sending a message that 15 is ok regardless of conditions - some people do regard the speed limit as a target regardless of what is going on around them.

If it's a narrow road, with high hedges, and blind bends, I want a car to pass me at a slower speed than on an empty two lane straight road with good visibility.

I agree. :)

Zipzop

Visit site
I have seen these somewhere for sale, now,I've decided to buy one I can't for the life of me find it again! I saw it on face book.

rachk89

Visit site

I do agree with you but it's impossible to write all of that on to one item of clothing and still have the driver be able to read it.

The bhs campaign is currently pass wide and slow with a max speed of 15.*Best she could do with having the 15 there is add Pass Wide & Slow to it. But you want a quick reaction and drivers won't stop to read a lot.

rachk89

Visit site
For the person asking earlier, these are the only ones I've seen with the passing details:

http://www.igotahorse.com/tabbrd_passing

See that tells you everything but it's small. The speed limit is tiny and there's no way drivers could read that from far away. By the time they can they have probably been so focused on trying to read it that they have hit you (let's face it not a lot of drivers out there are sensible).

You want to surprise them quickly and from far away to make them slow down. That was the point of the polite thing but not sure if that still works now as everyone may have realised what it actually says now.

Auslander

Visit site
I do agree with you but it's impossible to write all of that on to one item of clothing and still have the driver be able to read it.

The bhs campaign is currently pass wide and slow with a max speed of 15.*Best she could do with having the 15 there is add Pass Wide & Slow to it. But you want a quick reaction and drivers won't stop to read a lot.

I stopped wearing my "Please Pass Wide and Slow" tabard after a friend asked which of us was "Wide" and which was "Slow"!!

glamourpuss

Visit site
I think it's a great idea Hereshoping! Those that are saying that it shouldn't alway be 15 are right...but how can that be put across in the couple of seconds that a tabard has to make an impact?

The ones linked to do have all the information, granted, but they are too busy & the information too small to stand out.

The reason the Polite range was so effective was it was simple & had an impact, this to is on the same principle.

Let's also not forget the sort of people this is aimed at are the ones that think they are slowing down for horses.....by dropping from 60 to 40.