Once a fidget..

PapaverFollis

Visit site
MrT fidgets less than he used to.... at first I didn't tie him up without a net but now he will stand without. He still has time limits but I try not to finish up while he's actively fidgeting, so he does go into fidget mode then settles again. I feel your pain though. He's perfectly capable of breaking himself free too, knows just the angle to get to where he can use himself against the bailer twine most effectively! So I'm generally quite strict about correcting him to be at right angles to the wall. I don't tell him off, I just move him back until he gets bored and just stands again.

But yes. In my experience it gets better!

SEL

Visit site
I thought I'd got past it with the Appy until we moved yards. Now she's dancing on the spot tied up and has come close to squashing me a few times. Rewards for standing still last about 5 mins - like having an extra large toddler around ?

[59668]

Visit site
I thought I'd got past it with the Appy until we moved yards. Now she's dancing on the spot tied up and has come close to squashing me a few times. Rewards for standing still last about 5 mins - like having an extra large toddler around ?
OMG this could literally be me writing this about my Appy!!!

Brownmare

Visit site
My youngster was a proper fidget so he gets tied up twice a day for feeds and left there while I poo pick. I never walk up to him unless he is standing still and he now switches off and falls asleep as soon as he has finished eating so there is hope (it did take a few months to achieve this though!)

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Nope, totally disagree but it takes work on our part. My young Arab was a dreadful fidget and people said i had to put up with it as they're 'busy' horses. I disagreed!

He is worst on the horsebox and this was always my weak spot as I'm nervous about travelling horses. I had Richard maxwell out a couple of weeks ago for a different issue on the box. Once RM had sorted the first issue i noticed that the horse stood calmly on the box, normally there would be prancing/kicking/head flinging/snorting. A few days later whilst doing my 'homework' he was beginning to revert and i thought RM wouldn't put up with this, he would make the horse step back to the place I'd put him and repeat until the horse realised it was easier just to stand in the first place.

I'd realised I'd done all this with him tied up at the stable but because i had issues around the horsebox i put up with it and it escalated. The horse was training me!