Once bitten never shy?

P3LH

Visit site
Calamity and corgi are words I’ve learned go together quite well over the last 15 months.

This morning she was being a pain and ragging on the rough collies leads. She ended up pulling one out of my hand and it thwacked her on the face....think tort elastic band sprinting back...ouch. She yelpe

Shes fine but her eye is so her so slightly puffy in one spot. No redness, cut or Mark, and she’s bright and her normal self so just bathing it. (Did give the vets a ring who said this was the right thing to do—don’t worry I’m not shirking her being slightly hurt!)

Logic prevailing one would think she’d realise this new lead pulling thing when excited is a no no, or she’d be even wary of the lead. Incorrect. When I went to hang them up back on the hooks from where I’d dumped them previously, she gave a running jump and hung there—slightly swollen eye and all.

There is no hope.

P3LH

Visit site
I do despair.

I felt incredibly guilty based on how loud she yelped as it must have hurt. There i was thinking that knowing my luck that’ll be an eye out, or something significant as she really did give a scream. I fretted most of the morning about it. And when it swelled a bit i felt even guiltier. She’s back to marching around barking at the others and throwing her ball into unsuspecting laps.

Clearly I should have just continued with my plans and got my shopping done.

P3LH

Visit site
Typically the eye looked pretty bad and she was quite bothered last night. Called emergency vets for advice and they said as she was agitated bring her down.

Had to hand her over and wait outside, they said to leave her in her crate. I stated I was dubious about this as a) she’s only ever been to the vets once so I don’t know her reaction and b) she can sometimes throw her weight around until she’s figured out she’s not in charge.

15 minutes later a vets nurse appeared to tell me ‘both eyes look perfectly fine, are wide open, and the surface of both look great which is good. We’ve observed from a distance though.’
‘Because of covid?’
‘No. She wouldn’t let us near the crate and became very aggressive. We can sedate her if you like but it looks fine, just kee bathing’
’No thanks. Will just take her home’

Back to normal this morning.
Disclaimer—not a total psycho of a dog. The second vet nurse that brought her out explained she was just grumbling and not very happy about being crated in a strange place with strange people.

Last edited: