One dog or two? And if two, what would you pick?

Chiffy

Visit site
Clodagh, I didn’t really mean it like that! My dogs adore me and would prefer to be with me but get much pleasure from each other’s company too.
I was really thinking about bad tempered dogs who don’t like other dogs and why that might be.
Ofcourse I know that yours aren’t unfriendly. I also wondered about your special relationship because you work your dogs?

Clodagh

Visit site
Clodagh, I didn’t really mean it like that! My dogs adore me and would prefer to be with me but get much pleasure from each other’s company too.
I was really thinking about bad tempered dogs who don’t like other dogs and why that might be.
Ofcourse I know that yours aren’t unfriendly. I also wondered about your special relationship because you work your dogs?

I think the only difference with working them (and they love work above all else) is that it means I do a lot with them separately. Every other day the ones in active work get some one on one, if not daily.

cbmcts

Visit site
It really does depend on the dog IME. For many years I had a pack - 2 terrier bitches and a rottweiler dog plus a constant cycle of rott fosters coming in and out. Oldest terrier was the queen bee in the nicest possible way and ruled her pack with a big fist in a velvet glove. Rott dog loved other dogs but knew the 'dog rules', younger terrier was very bonded to the older one (been with her since 5 weeks old, relied on her a lot) but if she'd been in a home where she could have been a lapdog I think she would have been just as happy to be an only dog as long as she had a cat friend (she did more with the cats at home than the dogs). The next dog was a middle aged terrier dog got when the younger terrier died suddenly. Rott would not have been happy on his own and older terrier was now knocking 20 years old. Sadly lost rott and terrier girl in a year but when I tried to bring in another dog to male terrier, it wasn't happening, he was really unhappy about it so he remained an only dog for the rest of his life. THen had my big rottie cross, he was dog neutral out but really didn't want to share a home with another dog - happy to be left, never destructive so another only dog. Mac who I had for such a short time I could possibly have lived with another dog but it would need to have been a very careful match as he was entire, at least 5 years old and had spent his life as a single yard dog...introductions would have to have been very careful!

I'm actively looking for another dog as companion to Reggie - I think he would really benefit from a steady dog,something like my old terrier - but they are the Holy Grail. With his issues, it has to be an older bitch, not too big or strong as I need to be able to manage them when he's having a meltdown but not so small that the clumsy fool will flatten them on a daily basis. I'm tempted to get a puppy as for the first time in years I'm home enough but worry that he would teach them all his neuroses and jealousy could be an issue. Rescue is problematic at the moment as the only dogs that I'm seeing coming into rescue all have quite severe issues (as the 'easy' dogs are fetching good money online) and that won't work right now. I was very tempted by a rottie bitch recently but hand on heart, I can't afford 2 rotts, don't have space and she would have been too much to hold onto if he kicked off out!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm actively looking for another dog as companion to Reggie - I think he would really benefit from a steady dog,something like my old terrier - but they are the Holy Grail. With his issues, it has to be an older bitch, not too big or strong as I need to be able to manage them when he's having a meltdown but not so small that the clumsy fool will flatten them on a daily basis. I'm tempted to get a puppy as for the first time in years I'm home enough but worry that he would teach them all his neuroses and jealousy could be an issue. Rescue is problematic at the moment as the only dogs that I'm seeing coming into rescue all have quite severe issues (as the 'easy' dogs are fetching good money online) and that won't work right now. I was very tempted by a rottie bitch recently but hand on heart, I can't afford 2 rotts, don't have space and she would have been too much to hold onto if he kicked off out!

You need a staffie in your life. :)