One pup litter

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It happens. Some bitches can be predisposed to small litters, some males can throw small litters, some breeds can have bigger than average or smaller than average litter. These things happen with breeding (usually when there is a long waiting list, sigh!!!)

Did she scan for more? Do you know her genetics? Has the sire had any more litters that you could research?

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
Years ago we bred our clumber spaniel had all the help from a wonder breeder but sadly we had still born pups and only one survived. We were prepared that they are difficult to bred. I think sometimes its not meant to be.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
One pup litters happens. Sometimes it is due to something, like the sperm quality, the bitch's health, inbreeding percentage, not having mated on the ideal day etc., but it can just as well simply be the result of nature's lottery.

For example in Sweden, Finnish Lapphunds averagely have around 4 to 5 puppies per litter, the largest litters has equalled 10 puppies, but litters with only 1 puppy happens now and then too.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
FL it seems to happen to Lancashire Heelers as well, as a breed they are becoming popular in Finland,Sweden & Holland. The Finnish litters have all been a good size about 7-8 whilst those in the UK have varied to 1-5, as a vunerable breed only having 1 is disasterous for the breed.

OP what is your dogs breed?

Clodagh

Visit site
A friend in Australia bred from his pit bull bitch, she got as big as a house and he took many orders for pups, then only one (giant) dog puppy came out. Amazingly she still managed to have him naturally.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
She is a miniature schnauzer. Dog was carefully chosen and history of both checked. Litters ranged from 4 to 11 !!!! Both eye checked, and homes all lined up. Pup is doing well and is quite large at 2 weeks as he has access to a very large milk bar.

Main thing is she is fine...but it is frustrating.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My papillon puppy was the only puppy in her litter, the other two sadly died very early. It hasn't done her any harm if that's any consolation, but gutting for her breeder particularly as her markings are not quite show quality-that's why she became available. It's just breeding sadly.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies..was a little hesitant about posting in here as I sometimes think it seems a bit fierce!!!

However, probably no worse than I am on the other side. It seems ironic that we did the best we could and yet the dog down the road has an illicit one night stand with a bit of rough and produces 5 cracking pups!!!

Such is life. .......just off to check on him....be sad when he goes.........bless him :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You realise you have to call him Uno...or Solo...or Einz, seeing as he is German :) I know a couple of people who have owned 'only' pups who have been the best dogs they have ever had :)

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Very good CaveCanem......I like it!!! I am always amazed watching how they grow and develop so quickly. He is a real time waster :D..I go in the kitchen for something and am found sat on the floor by their basket........happy days :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Very disappointing for you, but just one of those things, as CC says it always happens to those who do everything right. We had a singleton JRT pup years ago ,she just lay there and fed and we nicknamed her the blob. The name stuck and she was Blob until the day she died at 15 years old.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Our singleton is called "Grub" because he just fed a grew like a black maggot.He did though prove a super stud giving five champion offspring,so he was worth it after all.

s4sugar

Visit site
My singleton was called Slug!

A teddy or other faux sibling is a good idea - if nothing else than to give something to climb over to latch on for the next feed.