One test or two?

Dumbo

Visit site
First dressage competition next week with my BFG.
Didn't have any plans to do dressage with him as have been focusing on our jumping but a lady offered a space in her trailer so I thought why not!
I've entered Prelim 4 but there's also P 12 too.
My question is, is it worth doing a second test? Does a second go usually go better than the first? Is P12 any harder than 4?
I imagine I'll come out P4 wanting a second go to improve but then it'll be more embarrassing if I come last twice! :p

Batgirl

Visit site
Whether one is more difficult than the other very much depends on your horse :)

Whether one witll go better than the other is dependent on you and your horse :) (e.g. My first test is always better as I warm up better and am more focused, this is something I am working on, some people find their horse better after the first test)

Go with your instict and ****** coming last, no-one but you will look or care :)

Nannon

Visit site
I do 2, like the others have said I use the first to despook and warm up, then the second generally goes better! I like P12 - I know a lot of people that don't but it works nicely for my boy :)

Kati*89

Visit site
I always do two...we don't always do better in the second, can go either way! But I would hate to not feel like we'd done our best in the first and miss the chance of the next!

Rhubarb

Visit site
I always do two...we don't always do better in the second, can go either way! But I would hate to not feel like we'd done our best in the first and miss the chance of the next!

This. I entered one class last weekend but had a bit of a nightmare. Wish I'd entered the next class so I could have had another go once my horse had settled and already seen the ever so spooky arena and judge's box!

Milkmaid

Visit site
My boy is definately a 'one test' pony!
He warms up beautifully, usually gives it his best in the test but if I should dare take him back for a second test, oh dear!
We are working on it & we can now go back to the warm up without throwing our toys completely. .....
Totally depends on the horse I think.

Theocat

Visit site
My boy is definately a 'one test' pony!
He warms up beautifully, usually gives it his best in the test but if I should dare take him back for a second test, oh dear!
We are working on it & we can now go back to the warm up without throwing our toys completely. .....
Totally depends on the horse I think.
mine is exactly the same. We get away with it if there's a short gap between tests, but woe betide me if I get off or untack then get back on again. I ought to work on it - now he'll stand at the trailer that's the next thing to work on!

GemG

Visit site
A vote for two... Horses for courses though, I know it's tricky sometimes remembering them! I like to know them too rather than have them called as I think someone shouting the test spoils the 'ambience' :p. Just a personal opinion!

I find horse more relaxed in second test.

Good luck and smile and breathe and enjoy!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I do two, simply because I can't be bothered with the effort and expense of getting to the event only to ride in the ring for 4 mins! I'm doing my horses first dressage outing today, an intro and a prelim - even though her canter isn't up to prelim yet. It's just good for the experience for her. Just hope we can strike off on the correct leg and maintain it (her canter is very unbalanced so she often goes disunited - she's still green so it'll come). Good luck OP :)

Lego

Visit site
I always do 2 tests if I can- he always goes better in the second test even if it is a lot harder for us to ride than the first. Got nearly 10% more in our first elementary than in the novice we had ridden before :)

I never know whether it's because I'm more relaxed as I know how he's going in the ring that day, and know he's got over any surprises over the judge etc, or whether he is more relaxed because he's already been in. Maybe both!