One walk a day

scats

Visit site
We have 3 dogs at home. Older dog is a Dane x Husky and has always loved walking. She would walk all day if she could and isn’t bothered by any weather. She’s the type who badgers you when it’s nearly walk time because she’s so keen to get out.
Middle dog is a corgi x cockapoo. Pretty easy going and has always slotted in with big dog nicely. She enjoys two walks a day- doesn’t pressurise the go out like the old girl, but is happy enough when she sees her lead and weather doesn’t concern her.

Then there’s Lily...
Lily is a 7-month old Shihtzu x JR. When she was first allowed to walk, she was very reluctant. It took her a long time to get her walking- she’d cry and sit down and was very reluctant to leave home. Gradually we have got her to walk nicely but she’s always very keen to come home and has never seemed to share the other dogs love of walking. She hates wind, rain or damp weather. She never seems particularly keen to come out, even on a nice day. The two big dogs will be waiting in the porch ready to go, and Lily takes one look at her harness and lead and legs it- hiding under the table. I have to coax her out and basically bribe her. This happens twice a day, every day. I always make her go for a morning walk and she does enjoy herself once she is out (provided it’s not raining), but she does always try to take the quickest route home. She walks like an angel on lead now, happily sniffs about and doesn’t seem stressed when out if the weather is ok. She really enjoys going off lead to the shore with the older dogs, but due to her age, I do limit her off lead time as she does go wild with them.
She seems much more reluctant to walk in the evening, perhaps because of the dark, I don’t know. She will go and run and hide under the table or runs to her bed when she sees her lead and basically tries to hide. If the weather is bad, I leave her at home in the evening and just take the other two. Lily is never on her own as there is always someone in the house with her and she doesnt seem bothered when the others leave.
I’m wondering if she would be happier just having one walk a day, but having always had dogs who go out twice a day, no matter what, I can’t help feel that this isn’t enough. Her morning walk is 20-30 minutes. The older dogs will continue to go out twice a day.
We have a big house and a decent garden. She has access to the whole house and garden and has a toilet area in the garden which she uses. She’s quite active by day as she plays with the middle dog- all instigated by Lily, so she does get a lot of exercise even at home. Perhaps she’s tired by the evening?
Does anyone else have a similar issue with a dog? Did you persist or just accept that perhaps once a day was ok for them?

Equi

Visit site
I would try it for a week, see how her behaviour at home is after that. If she is bonkers she will just need to be taken out. She sounds anxious but it would be hard to pin point why..What is the routine for going walkies? Do you ever just take her out on her own?

Reactions: DD

scats

Visit site
I would try it for a week, see how her behaviour at home is after that. If she is bonkers she will just need to be taken out. She sounds anxious but it would be hard to pin point why..What is the routine for going walkies? Do you ever just take her out on her own?

I mix it up really. Some days she goes on her own and other days she’ll go with the other two. She’s exactly the same whether she’s alone or with the others.

L&M

Visit site
It could be in the breeding - my friend has 2 shitzu's and neither enjoy walking. One will also run away and hide if it sees the lead come out, and has been known to lie down in the road in protest. On a nice summer day they are more willing, but she has given up trying to get them out in bad weather - they live on a small farm with a generous garden and are happy pottering around at home.

One of our nieghbours also has a shitzu x westie - he is equally fickle with walking and she often has to turn back within a few minutes of going down the lane if he is 'not in the mood'!

I would try just the morning walk and see how it goes from there - as long as she is not stressed by being left.

scats

Visit site
You don't specify how long you are walking each dog for.....

The two older dogs when they go together without Lily, have an hour in the morning off lead at somewhere like the shore and then 30-45 minutes evening locally on lead. If Lily goes with them to the shore, we do a shorter route so she isn’t running about quite as long. She goes with them 2 times a week in the morning. On those two days, the older dogs go back to the shore or local country park in the afternoon or evening for another longer walk to make up for not having had as long a walk in the morning.
The older dogs walks will not change. They have always thrived in this routine and will continue with two walks a day.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Small dogs can be funny about walks in bad weather...

My little papillon is quite happy with one walk a day and some play time. 7 months is still pretty young, half an hour on little legs, especially if running around is involved, is probably enough at this stage.

Will she tolerate a coat? My dog wears a coat if it's remotely rainy/cold/frosty as she refuses to walk properly without one and despises being wet.

scats

Visit site
Small dogs can be funny about walks in bad weather...

My little papillon is quite happy with one walk a day and some play time. 7 months is still pretty young, half an hour on little legs, especially if running around is involved, is probably enough at this stage.

Will she tolerate a coat? My dog wears a coat if it's remotely rainy/cold/frosty as she refuses to walk properly without one and despises being wet.

Yes she’s got a few little coats which she wears with no problem.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my little terrier was a real wimp in the rain and when he was younger i put a coat on him but he had to come out as my older dog has 2 walks a day and i wasnt making exceptions for a wimp. he grew out of it although still hates going in the garden for his last wee if it is raining. again, he has to as i am not going to get up in the middle of the night if he doesnt...yours will probably be better when older ...

gunnergundog

Visit site
Maybe try resting her up (confined to house) for a week, no rough play with the others or running to chase balls etc. Then try her again and see if she's any different. Am just wondering if something is brewing, potentially hurting her. I would also be checking the range of movement in her limbs.

Also, do you ever walk her on her own? Is she any different when it is just you and her?

scats

Visit site
Maybe try resting her up (confined to house) for a week, no rough play with the others or running to chase balls etc. Then try her again and see if she's any different. Am just wondering if something is brewing, potentially hurting her. I would also be checking the range of movement in her limbs.

Also, do you ever walk her on her own? Is she any different when it is just you and her?

She goes on her own and with the others. Some evenings she goes with the others and a couple of mornings a week. She’s probably a little more enthusiastic once she’s out with the others.
I actually need to book her in for a spay so I might take her to the vet next week and ask them to give her a little check over incase something is wrong.

Five&Two

Visit site
My Yorkie x Miniature Poodle will only go out for one walk a day, The Shih Tzu x Cavalier loves going out but will snooze indoors for most of the rest of the day, the Miniature Schnauzer x Bichon will walk all day and is a really active dog. The 2 babies my mum has are Terrier x Bichon and they love walking too.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine started when my dog lived with my mum as i worked long hours... mum walked her in the mornings and i picked her upin the evenings and she used to come out with me when i rode ....when i lost my mum my dog had to live with me so she had a short walk before i went to work and came to the horses in the evening,i was then working locally so could pop home for her to have a wee break...i am retired now but still do 2 walks a day,

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
just curious, am I the only person in the world who routinely walks their dogs once a day? I’ve genuinely never seen a need to walk them more than once, and have always assumed it’s because people have an aversion to their dogs pooing in their gardens!

is there something I am missing here?

Maybe it is habit? I grew up with dogs walked twice a day, and that's what I have always done. It has never occurred to me to do different

Cahill

Visit site
just curious, am I the only person in the world who routinely walks their dogs once a day? I’ve genuinely never seen a need to walk them more than once, and have always assumed it’s because people have an aversion to their dogs pooing in their gardens!

mine mooch at the yard for an hour while i am busy then we have a good walk or running.
in summer we are back at the yard after my work BUT now, in the winter they have a wee in the garden
and are straight back in for their T and settle down,they show no thought for a 2nd walk.

planete

Visit site

We are a once a day household here too, mainly because I am not really up to any more these days. OH will occasionally take the boys out for another half hour after lunch and the girls will barely lift their heads off the sofa when they leave. Maybe sighthounds are a bit lazy?

{97702}

Visit site
We are a once a day household here too, mainly because I am not really up to any more these days. OH will occasionally take the boys out for another half hour after lunch and the girls will barely lift their heads off the sofa when they leave. Maybe sighthounds are a bit lazy?

ha ha I think that is a very good point - the greyhounds actively sulk if I make them walk more than 2 miles, distance is simply not their thing ?

Chiffy

Visit site
I don’t think a Flatcoated retriever would cope with only one walk a day if they otherwise could only sit about and sleep. Mine are fine with a good hour off lead walking once a day if they can then play in the garden while I am gardening. In the days I had a yard, horses and acres outside the back door, some days they might not get a formal walk but would be outside with me and come to put horses in and out or play in the yard and garden.
These days, in winter, they definitely need two good walks, especially while it’s dark by 4pm and not light until at least half eight.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My GSD loves being outside and any walks that are going. The greyhound thinks that 10 minutes in the yard is too long away from his bed and forget walks please.

scats

Visit site
Thank guys. I feel a bit better now about the one walk a day but I am still going to get her checked over. I have got a few different harnesses and she’s the same with each so I don’t think it’s a problem with the harness being uncomfortable.
I suppose I’ve just always grown up with the twice a day mentality, and because of our Dane x, who has always thrived on exercise, it’s just something that I’ve stuck with.

I only took Lily for one walk yesterday and she seemed rather smug about it when the others were having their coats on to go out, but quite happy! She had her poo in the garden later on.
Think I’ll trial the morning walk only for her and see how we get on.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
might be worth checking the fit of your harness to see if it is rubbing anywhere, that could make her unwilling to go out as well.
This. The new young JRT is being a bit of a drama diva about wearing a harness, she was much more forward the day that I forgot to put it on and had to clip the lead to her collar. We’ve tried three different types on her so far, inc the one she came with, she doesn’t like the feel of the harness as it runs down between her front legs :rolleyes:.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t think a Flatcoated retriever would cope with only one walk a day if they otherwise could only sit about and sleep. Mine are fine with a good hour off lead walking once a day if they can then play in the garden while I am gardening. In the days I had a yard, horses and acres outside the back door, some days they might not get a formal walk but would be outside with me and come to put horses in and out or play in the yard and garden.
These days, in winter, they definitely need two good walks, especially while it’s dark by 4pm and not light until at least half eight.

Same, the labs would be quite unbearable on one! Horses for courses though, and most dogs are better off being kept less fit as it becomes self perpetuating. Ours get two or three walks a day and two quick trips outside the garden, but they probably don't really need that much.

planete

Visit site
I definitely do not want my lurchers ultra fit! :eek: Dylan used to be very fit until a few years ago, could go all day and could have got me into a great deal of bother if he had coursed anything as he was well able to do the job. He had to calm down when I could no longer keep up.

Karran

Visit site
My previous dogs (labs) were happy with one walk a day.
Mrs Spaniel flatly refuses to go outside if its cold and wet without a coat so often if its rubbish in the winter mornings I do tend to turn my alarm back on and roll back over!
I don't think missing one every so often matters that much to her, as she has a long walk in evening or comes to the yard or we go to one of our various training classes. However if i was to do that more than two or three times in a row, she does start to get twitchy and a bit destructive with pent up energy.
I tend to do two walks a day as I need to keep a reasonable level of fitness up and I feel guilty having left them all day at work and feel the need to wear them out before I go and then again when I get in!

{97702}

Visit site
Same, the labs would be quite unbearable on one! Horses for courses though, and most dogs are better off being kept less fit as it becomes self perpetuating. Ours get two or three walks a day and two quick trips outside the garden, but they probably don't really need that much.

I’m lol at the assumption that one walk a day equals a less fit dog ?

Just as with horses, some breeds gain and retain fitness better than others.... and all walks are not equal ?

My greyhounds are lazy due to their breed but are well muscled, the bloody lurchers and terrier could happily go all day ??