One year since the laminitis

RubysGold

Visit site
Well it's very nearly a full year since Roo got laminitis. And it was such a tough time for us. We've worked really hard over the year to get her healthy and sound and to stay that way.

I had to get the vet out last Monday to check her blood, make sure the prascend is doing its job. They came back Normal, so very pleased :)

It was the same vet that came to roo when she was so so poorly. She is really pleased with Roo now. She says that she looks well and is the perfect weight. Shes now 518kg on my weightape. She got as high as 640kg last year (these are her absolute highest reading to lowest on the tape)
I mentioned that she is walking funny and I wanted to check that it's just stiffness and nothing worse so We took her for a short walk and apparently she has arthritis in her hocks. She says they are always more stiff this time of year (definitely true of Roo) and she's been kept in a lot which doesn't help.
She said with Roos weight and the way the grass currently looks, I can relax a little bit with her turnout for the next couple of months.
Im so so lucky and pleased that she is doing so well

Few pictures
This is what her feet looked like in October

I thought those rings would never go!
This is a more recent hoof picture but she has been shod again since this.

My most recent photos of her (about a month ago)

And trying her with no muzzle

Britestar

Visit site
Well done. Its a hard haul getting them back, but worth it.

We allow ours out without a muzzle at this time of year, but it ready to go back on as sson as it starts to warm up. |Better safe than sorry.

Haniki

Visit site
It's so hard managing these laminitic ponies / horses. Our little pony had a flare up after Christmas as he had been going out without a muzzle. He too is on Prascend. At the moment he goes out by day on an area of hard standing to eat soaked hay, where he can still see his friends.

throughtheforest

Visit site
Great to see all your hard work is paying off.
My horse is 8 months post lami caused by EMS. He's going well, after 5 weeks back in light work he's lost so much weight he looks so much better.

PorkChop

Visit site
Just wanted to say bloomin well done, I am sure it has been extremely tough, and great news that she can have some unrestricted grazing for a short time :)

RubysGold

Visit site
She currently just gets 3-4 hours turnout (at which point she has had enough and wants to come in) and I keep her in if it's frosty but hopefully can give her more time out over the next few weeks