Online dressage

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of trying some online dressage and would be interested if anyone has ever tried it?

I'm not really a competitive person - I think I last competed when I was about 14 years old at my old riding school on a riding school steed. Fast forward 11 years and I've never ridden a test since!

I'm pretty much a happy hacker that has about a lesson a month with a previously school sour horse, but we've both come a long way in the school - we can trot 20 metre circles without entirely resembling a llama-giraffe hybrid! I'm the first to admit I lack direction when we school and as the nights are getting darker, our post work hacking will soon become weekend only hacking - so having something to aim for and practise might help.

I'd be looking to ideally start at walk and trot as our canter in the school can range from non-existent to less than polished :D

Will we need any special tack? He's either ridden in a simple snaffle (currently minus a noseband, but I'm sure I can find it to put back on) or a simple bitless bridle.

Will I need any special competition clothing or will my usual riding clothes suffice?

Finally, there seems to be a few sites that offer this - what site have people used? Whilst I'm absolutely expecting to come nowhere - I'd prefer constructive criticism over a harsh pulling apart!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Good luck - maybe we can compare notes on our foray into online dressage ;-)

Thanks for the link. I'vealso found a site called Interdressage and Dressage Anywhere. I can't find any blindingly obvious differences between them - although interdressage seem to make their tests up, rather than use a BD test.

It would be interesting to know who, if any, other people have used!

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I use e dressage and am a member. Roseanna the owner is fab and very helpful. Being a member when i recieve my test sheet back i also get video feed back from the judge.

Elbie

Visit site
I've done dressage anywhere a few times before. Was happy with how quick I received my score and the comments from the judge.

Dressage anywhere you need dressage legal tack but don't need to dress up. If you are in competition dress you need to put boots on the horse to prove you aren't competing.

Make sure you read the rules as they are specific as to how it should be filmed and what you should wear etc

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I've used Interdressage ages ago and thought they were good. They use proper dressage judges, they allow bitless bridles and run showing classes too. Because of the bitless bridles their tests aren't under BD rules so they don't use BD tests. You ride the dressage test in an arena in your show clothes and someone videos it from the judges position. You get a result/comment sheet when it's judged and rosettes for placings I think. When I did it the walk and trot classes were huge. Don't be afraid to canter, if you get a bad mark for the canter it doesn't matter you'll be able to see over time your horses score improve. There's no need to wait until you're perfect before entering a class with cantering.

gina2201

Visit site
I plan to have a go at this, not least because my ex racer hasn't been 'out' yet so actually trying to perform a test without the added hassle/stress of travelling and competition wear etc yet get some feedback sounds like a fab idea. The Edressage also do separate classes for ex racers and if you come 1st or 2nd you win back your entry fee and more so seems like a great idea. May do one a month or something and see how we get on!

Have a look at Edressage on facebook, some really good information and videos on there. They use BD tests but are adding different types of class all the time.

Last edited:

Sammy1983

Visit site
I use e dressage and am a member. Roseanna the owner is fab and very helpful. Being a member when i recieve my test sheet back i also get video feed back from the judge.
Ditto this I joined last week and Roseanna is great and if you join as a member you get goodies as well. I'm really looking forward to sending in my first test this month

gina2201

Visit site
When I was looking around their website I noticed when you check the results you can also see some of the other people's tests too which I thought was good - can compare how you performed against someone who perhaps scored higher (or lower) than you

Spoiled cob

Visit site
I use dressage anywhere, they are very good, no need to dress up, all the info is on their website. They tend to have more competitors each month so usually rosettes to 6th and prize money whereas when I used e dressage there weren't many people, not many rosettes given out and most months no prize money, however this may have changed. Dressage anywhere will mark your tests and provide an electronic copy of the test sheet with judges comments and this is usually done within a couple of days of you sending it in whereas edressage mark everything at the end of the month so it can be a long wait depending on when you send in the test.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
I recently started Dressage Anywhere. I was disappointed with my own performance, but I thought the way that the whole thing was organised was really good. Dead easy to do, and I got my sheet back quickly. Although I'd hoped to do better, I think it was much better to move up a level for the first time at home, with as much time as I wanted to warm up, and in my comfortable clothes, than to have the whole palaver of a competition day only to come home disappointed. And it's nice to be able to see some of the other competitors' videos to see how they did it better, which you don't usually get to do when you're busy with your own horse out at a competition, but they do have an option to make your video not available to view if you don't want others to be able to see it.

Elbie

Visit site
The good thing about Internet dressage is that you can keep filming tests until you feel you've got it right! It doesn't all fall on one performance in one moment.

McFluff

Visit site
I've been entering dressage anywhere - as have a couple at the yard. Very professional service, good judges, fair comments. They use BD tests and rules, but you don't need to be in completion gear (I did one test in my denim breeches!). As someone else has said, if you do dress up, horse must wear boots. The website is clear with good tips to follow. In the absence of transport I've found it really useful and something to work towards with my schooling.