Onwards, upwards and adventures with Fig

nikkimariet

Visit site
Thanks Wilbur :)

Blood_magik - Oh I don't know about that, I always feel like a bag of spanners :eek:

Thanks mik! Need to start sitting my ass in the saddle, my arms *do* move independently of my upper body, honestly :rolleyes:

cp - :) I'm hoping he is as safe to hack as Bruce is. I've had one that detested hacking before, it was no fun!

He looks lovely, working very well :) I have to admit though, if I was your livery I wouldn't be all that happy if you called my horse a "bog pony":eek:
Unless of course its a known nickname/joke :)

Thanks! Lol yeah, jockey has an embroidered jacket 'Sprog on a Bog Pony'..... Jockeys mum is also a very good friend and both her and Sprog call said pony Bog....

NinjaPony

Visit site
Thanks Wilbur :)

Blood_magik - Oh I don't know about that, I always feel like a bag of spanners :eek:

Thanks mik! Need to start sitting my ass in the saddle, my arms *do* move independently of my upper body, honestly :rolleyes:

cp - :) I'm hoping he is as safe to hack as Bruce is. I've had one that detested hacking before, it was no fun!

Thanks! Lol yeah, jockey has an embroidered jacket 'Sprog on a Bog Pony'..... Jockeys mum is also a very good friend and both her and Sprog call said pony Bog....

Ah I thought it might be something like that :p Love the name!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Spooky - He does, just a shame he probably sees me as the evil one who only rides him, and our livery as the nice one that brings him in and pampers him :p

Ninja - Yep, Irish Bog Pony!

rubysmum

Visit site
he is nice - you sound very pleased with him
you can tyr & track me down a SAFE tb if you like - altho i am muchly enjoying riding the teeny tiny one at the mo:D

nikkimariet

Visit site
he is nice - you sound very pleased with him
you can tyr & track me down a SAFE tb if you like - altho i am muchly enjoying riding the teeny tiny one at the mo:D

You'd be surprised, as many insane-inside-out-upside-down-loop-the-loop ones....there's just as many calm-cob-in-a-svelte-exterior ones ;)

4faults

Visit site
Hes beautiful and looks like he's really starting to understand what your asking. Lovely to see him filling out so well too. Looking forward to many more reports

Sarah1

Visit site
Gorgeous! Well Jel! ;):)
What are you feeding him?! Really need to be giving our seaside-donkey-in-a-racehorse-suit some of whatever Fig is having! :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
Sarah1 - thank you :)

Morning feed: 1 scoop winergy conditioning mix

Evening feed: 1 1/2 scoop winergy conditioning mix, northern crop driers grass nuts (equivalent to 2 handfuls before soaking), 1 measure seaweed granules, 1 measure suppleaze gold.

He also gets ad lib hay, and currently has an 'alfalfa brick' each night (we bought them off a friend as they didn't agree with their ponys waistline ;) - they are not something we normally feed though, and once they're gone, they're gone!). He is turned out on good grass roughly 7-3 each day. Lightly worked 5 times a week.

For the record, ours have kept much better condition being fed the grass nuts as opposed to sugar beet.

Bills

Visit site
Thanks HHM :D

Thanks Bills - what do you do with your bay tb?? Bought for anything specific orrr??

A bit of everything to be honest. Mainly event him though, nothing serious we aren't heading for Badminton anytime soon lol! Maybe if his dressage was as good as Figs we would be a lot better but I'm working on that bit ;) But he is a pure xc machine and there really is nothing he won't jump no matter how big or scary, and even if I get him on an impossible stride/line he just says hold on mum I'll get us over safely, and so he is worth his weight in gold to me!!!
Don't you just love them, so honest and genuine.
Strictly speaking he isn't pure TB, he is a registered British sports horse but his breeding is pretty much TB all the way through. And he certainly acts and looks just like a true TB, just how I like em :D :D
Any tips on keeping him straight in the canter, he curls up on me and always goes crooked as in quarters in?
Everything has been checked, tack, back, teeth etc...

nikkimariet

Visit site
He sounds lovely, very honest and a real try hard :)

Re: crooked

1/4 turn on the forehands on a square, in walk.

Leg yield in and out of a circle, walk and trot.

Give and retakes on your inside rein (keep the outside rein contact) in walk, trot and canter.

Shoulder fore and shoulder in - only if strong enough.

And of course, transitions! Get him working into your hands evenly and really accepting the contact that you are offering :)

spookypony

Visit site
He sounds lovely, very honest and a real try hard :)

Re: crooked

1/4 turn on the forehands on a square, in walk.

Leg yield in and out of a circle, walk and trot.

Give and retakes on your inside rein (keep the outside rein contact) in walk, trot and canter.

Shoulder fore and shoulder in - only if strong enough.

And of course, transitions! Get him working into your hands evenly and really accepting the contact that you are offering :)

Always comes back to the good ol' basics...thanks for the reminder. Gotta watch my own inside rein, pernicious problem that it is. :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Thanks TPO :)

Spookypony - Hah, me too!! Left rein is fine, but right rein is my weak rein (and Figs, was Bruces too) and I depend on my inside rein too much to compensate for not being so mobile with my right light and hip.

Arctic Fox - You will have seen me in orange matchy yep!! Orange suits Fig...might possibly purchase some more.... :cool:

Sunshine - Thankyou :)

Bruce was my previous trusty steed (15 yr ISH). He had been in and out of competing nearly all his life, and in his mind he just didn't want to do it anymore. But he's worth his weight in gold temperament wise, so has been handed over to my nervous rider mum for hacking duties! So I bought myself a Christmas present in the shape of Fig :)

Last edited:

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Arctic Fox - You will have seen me in orange matchy yep!! Orange suits Fig...might possibly purchase some more.... :cool:

Well so far I have an orange swarofski bling browband coming to go on my dressage bridle. after this my competition orange is pretty sorted!

Was thinking about orange bandages for home with orange saddle cloth although not sure where to get it from.

do you just use bandages or do you put padding underneath?

What do you recommend?

hubby will go mad when he finds out:rolleyes:

nikkimariet

Visit site
AF - Boo :(

I will keep an eye out for orange matchy for you :):cool:

Justme - Considering how much we will have both eaten out at dinner tonight, we might need a couple of eagles :D:p

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I have managed to find a tweed jacket with orange collar!

also have the bling browband :D

thought you might like to see a piccy!

IMG_9246.jpg

Last edited: