Op for Locking Stifles - any experience?

BlackRider

Visit site
Has anyone had the op done for locking stifles? From what I've read if it done under local anaesthetic, and is minimally invasive.

I've done the controlled exercise program, which did improve it, but its back locking again, which I why I'd like to hear about peoples experience of the op.

Also - roughly how much did it cost? Thanks

Louby

Visit site
Is your horse still growing? Only asking as my just 4 yr old has had a few episodes of locking stifle during the year Ive had her, once quite bad. It seems to coincide with growth spurts, which is what my vet said, so Im trying not to worry about it until shes stopped growing. She is about to start some work so Im hoping that will help too.

Rollin

Visit site
My fabulous Shagya mare came in from the field, dragging her hind leg, she was 4-5years old? Experienced vet came out, pulled her leg back into place, she had slipped her stifle. It never happened again and she has given us two great competition foals. Now 14 years old. I understand it is fairly common in Arabians, particularly young horses.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The operation is contra indicated unless there is no alternative but to PTS. It is associated with stifle breakdown later in the horse's career. My vet will not do it.

ycbm

Visit site
Is your horse still growing? Only asking as my just 4 yr old has had a few episodes of locking stifle during the year Ive had her, once quite bad. It seems to coincide with growth spurts, which is what my vet said, so Im trying not to worry about it until shes stopped growing. She is about to start some work so Im hoping that will help too.

My constantly locking four year old is now eight and has not locked for over six months, try not to worry. He did an elementary dressage at the weekend with a decent score, too. Strength is the answer.

BlackRider

Visit site
The operation is contra indicated unless there is no alternative but to PTS. It is associated with stifle breakdown later in the horse's career. My vet will not do it.

They don't cut the ligament any more, as this destabalises the joint, they now inject a substance into the ligament which causes it to scar and therefore become tauter.

ycbm

Visit site
They don't cut the ligament any more, as this destabalises the joint, they now inject a substance into the ligament which causes it to scar and therefore become tauter.

I wouldn't myself, refer to that as 'an operation'. My vet said that at four it was far too early to give my four year old that treatment, and it turns out he was right, as there is very little sign of locking stifles now at eight. I wonder what the outcome would have been if he had the ligament tightened at four, only to grow out of the need for them to be tighter. I'm glad I waited.

Visit site
We had a 3yo Shetland that we cut the ligament on. 10 mins job. Pony only left his field as he was sedated but was back out as soon as he was awake. 10+ years down the line he has had no issues at all but he has only ever been a companion/once in a blue moon 10min lead reins pootle kind of pony all his life.

BlackRider

Visit site
I wouldn't myself, refer to that as 'an operation'. My vet said that at four it was far too early to give my four year old that treatment, and it turns out he was right, as there is very little sign of locking stifles now at eight. I wonder what the outcome would have been if he had the ligament tightened at four, only to grow out of the need for them to be tighter. I'm glad I waited.

As my Vet refers to it as an operation, I’m using her words.

I have also clearly said my horse is 8 - I’m fully aware this is not recommended for younger horses - as the hope is that with work they will grow out of it.

BlackRider

Visit site
We had a 3yo Shetland that we cut the ligament on. 10 mins job. Pony only left his field as he was sedated but was back out as soon as he was awake. 10+ years down the line he has had no issues at all but he has only ever been a companion/once in a blue moon 10min lead reins pootle kind of pony all his life.

Thank you - that’s very helpful.

ycbm

Visit site
I have also clearly said my horse is 8 - I’m fully aware this is not recommended for younger horses - as the hope is that with work they will grow out of it.

I know your horse is eight, you said so. There are other people who use this forum as a resource for information. Some of them will have younger horses.

Louby

Visit site
My constantly locking four year old is now eight and has not locked for over six months, try not to worry. He did an elementary dressage at the weekend with a decent score, too. Strength is the answer.

Thanks ycbm, thats really good to hear. My girl is looking a bit, well a lot weedy atm, so hoping once we start some proper hacking and a bit of school work she will soon start to build some muscle.

LadySam

Visit site
Just to be clear on what we're talking about OP, I'm talking about the blistering procedure your vet mentioned, not the ligament cutting op.

It's not as invasive as cutting the ligament (obviously), it's also not as permanent. It's very much YMMV. The inflammatory reaction that causes the swelling and thickening to tighten everything up eventually subsides. Sometimes the little bit of scar tissue remaining does the trick after doing it once or twice, while in some horses it's a procedure that needs to be done every now and then over much longer. It works for some, not for others. The only way to find out is to give it a go. Sorry, I have no idea of cost.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would be having this conversation with my vet in a year to 18 months time if my horse was having an issue at eight. I say leave it a bit longer.

Cocorules

Visit site
No but mine was 9 or 10 when we stopped having locking episodes. Personally I would keep the work level really high and persevere than have the op.

ElliePippa

Visit site
I have found that a bit extra weight, muscle and very intense hill stregnthening in straight lines has made my mares almost none existent , may be worth trying that? Have you got a physio involved as they can often help with exercises / stretches where they are compensating with other muscles.

BlackRider

Visit site
Big thank you (sorry I couldn't post to reply with the forum issues) that is brilliantly helpful. I've decided to leave it a bit long and hope he grows out of it.

He's now at a yard which is hilly - which I hope will help him build up more.

(I also didn't know the blistering may not last either)