Open fields and behaviour

JustKickOn

Visit site
Afternoon all

In the last few weeks, we have been lucky enough to have some stubble fields to ride around as well as our usual hacking, however my girl's behaviour hasn't been totally angelic.

I can walk, trot and canter around the fields and my brakes are all in order and she will stop when asked, but I have discovered that when asking her to move away from another horse or to go in a direction she naps, or when dictating the pace when she really wants to go fast, all four feet are leaving the ground.

We have had fours episodes just this week, all in different fields. Earlier this week we walked around the fields, I asked her to trot and she did some lovely circles away from the other horse, both reins, then rejoined other horse, asked her to move away from him again and she hopped into canter before sticking her head between her legs and putting in three sizeable bucks one after the other. Sat them, no issue, leg on and pushed her on. Back to the other horse and they walked fine on a loose rein. We then turned up the hill to go back up the field and as walking through a gate she turned into a rocking horse, popping her bum up and bouncing. Shouted no at her, halt halt and released rein, leg on and she jigged the rest of the way back.

Schooled the following two days. Then day after I walked her around the fields on her own as a warm up, she spooked at a water trough she has seen many times before, lifted her back and dipped her head down. I reacted quick enough, jiggled the rein to bring her back up and sent her forward but she was on the verge of another bouncy bouncy.

Yesterday we hacked with the younger mare, walking around the stubble fields. Both had a little spook at a pigeon that flapped out of the bushes, younger mare stopped, propped and almost went, K was good as gold and walked just fine.

Then this morning, went out with friend and her lad, both horses were fine, again walked around the stubble field and then out of no where at the bottom, K ploughed down with her head and left off the most enormous buck I've ever seen or ridden. Her back legs were up at head height with my friend on her 16.2...! Some how managed to stay on, then pushed her forward into a canter to get some energy out. After that she settled but felt hot to ride.

She's never been like this with me in the last four years. Nothing has changed other than the op on her teeth but the vets said it would just mean she was pain free and shouldn't affect her in any way. She's had a full work up from the vets, physio and all ok. Saddles are due checking, but she hasn't changed shape since her last visit six months ago.

So, any ideas for the cause of her repeatedly defying gravity and any tips for how to stop it!? I've stayed on so far, but if she puts in a really dirty buck, I fear I will be hitting the ground and hitting it hard :(

mirage

Visit site
I can't help with regard to the cause, but can tell you how to stop it. We had a pony that used to buck in company,never did it at home. We got a pair of grass reins,attached them to the D rings on the saddle,crossed them over at the withers,then clipped them to the bit. They can't get their head down to get their rear up,so no bucking. The first time our pony tried to buck when the grass reins were on,his face was a picture. He was furious,but there was nothing he could do about it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, well this is naughty behaviour, but I guess you are not alone we have all had this at some time.

You can usually feel if they are going to buck, so my method is to scream "NO you .......(whatevery you like to call them)" and give them a good verbal telling off. If you don't tell them off, how do they know it is naughty?

Otherwise trot in circles are ages, until they want to stop, and then walk quietly. I expect others have some better ideas!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Might need a good gallop, sometimes even the quietest horse needs a blast
Bridge your reins so she can't get head down is the main thing. Grass will be sweet and lo in magnesium at the moment, so a Mg based calmer like Feedmark Steady up might help. Check feed for molasses and possibly alfalfa.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Only just managed to check this - thanks all.

Often her bucks aren't predictable which is the frustrating things, but she does get a telling off when I do manage to preempt her! She knows she is being naughty but it's like a game to her. They're not nasty, if she wanted me off she could very easily do so.

She's had a good few gallops and is still pretty bouncy when her feet hit the turf, normally she will plod round. She's been rather bouncy in the arena today too, but that energy is easier to channel into school movements when there isn't the battle with temptation of acres and acres of "boggin' off" land!

She's on a molasses free chaff and already has magnesium added to her diet. Don't think it's the alfalfa, she's been on products containing it for years with no issues.

It's nice she's feeling so well, but sometimes I do wish she would act 21 and be sensible! :D

JustKickOn

Visit site
Yes, school down there in the summer and hack round the fields often, plus our XC jumps are in the field which she is used to popping and had SJs up last year when we were eventing - no issues at all. She's used to being ridden in open spaces, just seems to be very full of herself recently.